• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination with excess mileage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination with excess mileage

Hi,

my wife is 28 months into a 36 month PCP agreement with Ford.

The car is becoming unaffordable for her and has contacted the finance company to discuss VT.

they have said she can as she has paid in excess of 50% but are stating excess mileage charges will apply. because she was sold this car with 6000 miles allowed which was never suitable, she has gone over that and would owe around £550 in mileage. which we would struggle to pay

if VT'ing the car is this amount still payable? ford are telling her it is.

there are mixed views over the internet.

thanks for reading
    Tags: None

Re: Voluntary Termination with excess mileage

Hello, the short answer (my opinion) is no they cannot. The excess mileage is a contractual term and is only payable on breach. If your wife didn't VT and completed the contract then she would be liable for those costs. However, the VT process affords protection to those who terminate and limits liability to 50% of the total amount payable under the credit agreement and any arrears due before the agreement was terminated. The liability does not extend to paying the lender damages for breach of the contract.

There are mixed reviews out there and you will see that the majority of people who have been with Ford end up coughing up. This is not because Ford are legally entitled to it, its because they just want it over with.

Ford will claim they are entitled to it because it is written into the contract, however such a clause contradicts what the Consumer Credit Act says and is therefore void and unenforceable. It won't prevent Ford or any other lender from claiming that they are entitled to it though.

One other point to note is that if the 6,000 miles per annum was not suitable for your wife's use, then there could also be a case of misrepresentation.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Is there any link you can provide to the legislation that can be quoted to back that argument? I'm in the same position, regarding a VT with some excess mileage, and I'm not in a position where I want to pay excess mileage, especially if I'm not legally obliged to.

Comment

Section 100 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/100

Section 189 defines "total price" and does not include damages for breach of the agreement http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/189

Section 173 states that any contractual term which is inconsistent with a debtors rights/liability is void and unenforceable http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/173

You have to read it all together to understand it.

A further nail in the coffin is The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 2010 below

Schedule 1 sets out what must be included in a regulated agreement which refers to the 'debtors maximum liability under s.100' (see para. 30 in the table) http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...chedule/1/made

Schedule 2 sets out the statements that must be included in a regulated agreement depending on the type of agreement. In this case, statements for hire purchase or conditional sale agreements is set out under para. 9 in the table. As you ca see it says that provided you have paid at least X and taken care of the goods then you will not have to pay anymore http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...chedule/2/made
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X