• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Used Car Fault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Used Car Fault

So wait and see

Happy Christmas meanwhile

Comment

You too :santa_smiley:

Comment

Happy New Year and all that.

Taking car in on the 12th for them to check for damage to the crash bar. For whatever reason though they are refusing to remove the front bumper (which is required to see the damage). So I'm going to borrow their workshop and remove it for them myself. Pretty sure this isn't right, but if it gets things moving it's easier this way.

Finally got a copy of the report. To summarise it says there was no fault found when shifting gears, but notes the excessive bearing noise with the clutch pedal up. Also says there wasn't enough transmission oil in and it wasn't the correct oil. (Previously, the dealer claimed they put enough oil in and said it was the official stuff.)

I still disagree with there being no issue when shifting (into 5th / 6th mainly) and have video evidence of it, but it's probably a good thing he agrees with me regarding the bearing noise. Also rather concerning that there wasn't enough tranny fluid and it wasn't the proper stuff.

Anyway, while I was there I asked if anything was being done about the gearbox, bearing noise, and sub / amp and was essentially told no. So I finally submitted it to the Motor Ombudsman ADR along with evidence of correspondence and pictures / videos of the faults.

Comment

Excessive clutch bearing noise? I thought that had been renewed.
          Sure it's not input bearing noise due to wear? Lack of oil/wrong oil!

PS the car wouldn't be a Honda by chance.. notorious for wearing input bearings!
          Last edited by des8; 10th January 2017, 21:00:PM.

Comment

Haha, the bearing noise gradually came back, and now it's just as bad as before. The independent report suggests it's the 1st motion shaft bearing(s) or a layshaft bearing problem, but maybe just due to them being dry.

It would appear the the clutch (inc bearing) was replaced for nothing, and the noise only appeared to have been remedied due to new oil.

I believe the oil has now been topped up, but the report says the wrong oil was used (though the dealer claimed otherwise).

It's a Nissan (350Z).

Comment

Originally posted by Strudul View Post
              Haha, the bearing noise gradually came back, and now it's just as bad as before. The independent report suggests it's the 1st motion shaft bearing(s) or a layshaft bearing problem, but maybe just due to them being dry.(So the noise disappeared when oil replaced?)

It would appear the the clutch (inc bearing) was replaced for nothing, and the noise only appeared to have been remedied due to new oil.

I believe the oil has now been topped up, but the report says the wrong oil was used (though the dealer claimed otherwise).

It's a Nissan (350Z).
              I understand that the Nissan has quite heavy gears, and so a whirring noise when in neutral is not uncommon.
              When in neutral the input shaft is turning, and as it meshes with other gears the whole lot (except the out put shaft) is spinning and whirring. When you push the clutch down the input shaft is disconnected and all goes still and silent!
              First motion shaft is other name for input shaft!

Comment

Listened to a few of them and none of them had the noise (and neither did mine initially).

I believe the oil was replaced when they stripped the gearbox down (though apparently with the incorrect oil and not enough of it). The noise didn't go away completely, but didn't seem as bad initially.

Topping the oil up to the correct amount didn't seem to make any difference.

Comment

Well, almost a year since contacting the Motor Ombudsman, I finally received a decision from them and they have decided not to uphold my complaint.

Their response is summarised below.

Amplifier (fault subwoofer amplifier)
                  It's intermittent, and you have no evidence of the fault.

Dent (large dent in front crash bar and repair evidence in front bumper)
                  You should have seen the damage and as the car is 10 years old dents are acceptable.

Gearbox grinding (especially when engaging 5th / 6th)
                  They mostly ignored this problem and claimed it was non-existent.

Low and incorrect gearbox oil
                  It didn't happen and isn't an issue.

Hard to engage 1st/2nd
                  Problem doesn't exist

Gearbox bearing noise
                  Problem doesn't exist

As for some actual facts from my side...

Amplifier (fault subwoofer amplifier)
                  I replicated the fault and demonstrated it to the dealership who acknowledged the problem, but refused to do anything about it. I eventually replaced the amplifier out of my own pocket and the subwoofer now functions fine.

Dent (large dent in front crash bar and repair evidence in front bumper)
                  I only saw the damage after completely removing the front bumper, which is hardly appropriate during a vehicle inspection. The salesmen also claimed there was no body damage or repairs at point of sale.

Gearbox grinding (especially when engaging 5th / 6th)
                  I have plenty of video evidence and can replicate the issue at any time.

Low and incorrect gearbox oil
                  The dealer admitted they didn't use Nissan oil.

Hard to engage 1st/2nd gear
                  Still a daily struggle and is almost dangerous getting stuck between gears when pulling out from a junction.

Gearbox bearing noise
                  Still as loud as ever.

So to conclude, it looks like the Motor Ombudsman is even more corrupt and useless than the dealer. They ignored and disregarded my concerns then claimed there was no fault despite blinding evidence.

Comment

Thanks for the update, and sorry to hear it was not the outcome you wanted.

The ombudsman decision is not binding on you, and you could elect to initiate a court action.
                    However, whether or not it is worthwhile is another matter

Court is always a bit of a lottery!
                    and the very fact that you have presumably continued driving the vehicle for over a year would argue against a claim that the vehicle was unsatisfactory.

Comment

Yeh, tempting to try court, but not sure I fancy the monetary risk, especially with no prior experience or knowledge of the process. Believe I have 6 years to make a claim though.

The gearbox grinding is the most prominent (and expensive) issue and really hinders ownership. Sure, I've managed with it for over a year now, but I have to be ridiculously careful and wouldn't call it satisfactory. Just can't believe the problem was refuted despite clear video evidence being provided.

Comment

Can't recall how much you paid for the car, but if less than £10000 the case would be heard on the small claims track where costs are very limited.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X