• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court fines incresed from £60 to £370

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court fines incresed from £60 to £370

Hi, I'm looking for some advice.

I received a court fine of £175 about 6 months ago, I have paid off £115 and only owed £60. Today I received a "REMOVAL NOTICE" saying I owe "£370, inclusive of charges for todays attendance and If this amount is NOT PAID IN FULL, IMMEDIATELY, a further call will be made, WITHOUT NOTICE, to take control of goods". At the top of the letter it says "A locksmith may be used for entry".

A "NOTICE OF ENFORCEMENT" which was issued within the last month but I didn't receive it until today, I moved out of my mothers home and for the last 2 months I have been very busy. I had full intention to pay the rest of what I owed but simply forgot.

I don't have a problem paying the original amount of £60, but £370 is over a 500% increase. I cannot afford that, I only have around £20 - £40 each month left over for myself.

Would I be able to have this amount reduced or can I just pay £60 direct to the courts fines office.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Daniel.
    Last edited by Dannyormskirk; 31st October 2016, 11:48:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Court fines incresed from £60 to £370

The notice of enforcement is key. Are you saying that it was sent to your mothers house and that you no longer live there? If you are living somewhere else, can you prove this, for example by providing a council tax bill in your name for the relevant period? You should also have received notice from the courts, prior to bailiffs being engaged, did you receive this?

Comment

I didn't receive the letters until today, their is one from the courts.

I am renting a room for £200 a month but I pay by cash, I don't have a tenancy agreement or any proof.

How is this legal? This is extortion and theft. How can they justify a 500% increase on the original debt. I owed £60 two months ago and now they want £370.

Comment

Put simply once you defaulted on payment the Court will send a letter asking you to bring your account up to date and will list further steps they may take if you fail to do so. This is the letter you have had from the Court and you get approx 10 days or so to comply.

Not having done so your account has been sent to the Bailiffs you will have sent the Notice of Enforcement to the address the Court holds for you. If you have moved and not notified the Court they will not see this as a valid excuse. As no response was received to the NoE then a Bailiff has attended. The fees added are:
        Compliance Fee £75 - added when received by Bailiffs
        Enforcement Fee £235 - added when Bailiff visits & does not matter if you are in or not.

You are going to find this hard to fight. The warrant they have allows them to force entry if they believe you are wilfully evading them and believe you may have goods that could be removed to satisfy the debt. The best you could hope for is if you have nothing of value to take and eventually they return it to the Court. At present the Court will not be sympathetic to your plight.

Comment

I would say it is impossible to fight, given that there is no evidence that he doesn't live at his mums.

You nay wish to consider inviting the bailiff into your mums and show him that you don't own anything of value there. Eventually, he will return the case and the £310 will be wiped off. There is a risk though. Many bailiffs are not nice people, nor are hey honest. They may threaten to take your mums goods unless she can prove that she owns them.

Once you decided to take a break from your repayments, bailiffs were asked to recover the debt. This is what happens, it is how it works.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X