• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County Court Claim for PCN charges that i intend to defend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Court Claim for PCN charges that i intend to defend

Hi there i am new to the forums , i came across them via several links starting from the "Parking cowboys " website . I am looking for help regarding defending the following claim . Initially i posted in the Parking /PCN/IPC section but realise now that since i have already the Court claim forms i should probably have posted in a different section.

Details of claim :

Hi there i'm looking for some help regarding trying to defend a claim re the above . I started to fill out the online form to Northampton C.C. but figured i would be better taking some advice first as this is totally new to me.

Circumstances of the case are as follows:

1. Parked in privately owned car park (signs visible) on 13/6/2016 . Bought a 1 hr ticket and stuck it to the windscreen . It was a hot sunny day and upon returning to the car park 45 minutes later i found the ticket had detached from the windscreen. The sticker part had dropped on the top of the dash with the ticket branding and serial number clearly visible. The dated ticket part had dropped on the seat and was not visible, having landed face down. A pcn charge envelope was attached to the car.

2.I accessed the companies website to look at the photos taken . One photograph shows in close up very clear easily readable detail the sticker part of the ticket and the serial number .

3. I sent an appeal to the company with a photo of my complete valid parking ticket along with their photo of the serial numbered other sticker half of the ticket as proof that parking at the time in question had been paid for by myself.

4. Parking company refused the appeal but interestingly wrote on the appeal refused letter that "the ticket must be stuck to the windscreen by the sticker ". ( Which to my mind means that ensuring the ticket stays visible once you have left the vehicle is impossible). and also wrote that the ticket had dropped on the seating and could not be identified by the parking inspector ; this seems strange when they have the photo on their website of the sticker part of my ticket with the branding and a serial number that would no doubt have been in close sequence to the other cars parked in this fairly small car park.

5. Reading advice on how best to proceed (Money saving expert , i think) i then appealed to the I.P.C. with the expected result ( after reading about I.P.C. and the greatly reduced amount of successful appeals) of a failure , with the gist being that although it "looks like the apelee bought a ticket , that is largely irrelevant " .

6. A couple of weeks later received a letter from Armtrac demanding the full £100 pcn since i had waived right to a reduction by appealing.

8. Wrote a letter to Armtrac telling them that i was not going to pay and did not want to be sent debt collectors letters and would settle the matter in court . ( probably not the right course of action)

9. Received the County court claim form on saturday the 22nd.

From what i've read it seems that the parking charge is meant to be to recompense to the land owner for monies lost from people not paying . So i assumed that since i can prove that i bought a ticket , landowner has not lost any money and the charge is invalid , but maybe i'm wrong. The other point is i can't understand why i have had no communication from Armtracs solicitor . The first i have heard from him is seeing his name printed on the claim form.

Hope you can help me to point me in the right direction regarding this : I have the complete parking ticket saved and have also the relevant pictures used by the parking company saved on my computer . I intend to use these to prove that the car parking fee was paid and therefore no pcn is due.
    Tags: None

Re: County Court Claim for PCN charges that i intend to defend

Can you sanitise and post (if you have) signs, pcn, appeal and claim form ?

M1

Comment

Hi there thank you for your reply . I have attached the replies to appeal from Armtrac and the IAS and photos of the signage from the car park . I have also attached a photo from the company's website showing part of the ticket on my car.

Thankyou , Jack
      Attached Files

Comment

The claim form and pcn ?

M1

Comment

I've attached the claim form and PCN to this post
          Attached Files

Comment

That looks like Gladstones ?

I've removed the images because you left personal info on the PCN. I can still see them though, so no need to try again.

File Acknowledgement of service for now.

M1

Comment

Thanks , sorry about that and yes your right about the Solicitors.

Comment

Ok. I'll get back to you soon.

M1

Comment

A week ago my wife messaged and texted the car park owner ( landowner) regarding the case. Heard nothing back for 6 days so assumed they had ignored it , but they emailed this back yesterday , no signature but was headed with the company name and came from xxxx parking email address.Probably of no use but thought i would post it anyway just in case.

Hi xxxxxx

Apologies for the delay in replying, but we have been away.

So sorry to hear that you have been issued with an expensive fine. Unfortunately, the issuing of tickets to cars is carried out by Amtrac, a totally separate company from ourselves. We have no remuneration from these tickets and therefore have very little input as to the cancellation of such parking fines.

I did look into see if anything could be done, but due to the length of time that has passed since the ticket was issued and because it has now been handed over to the courts, I am sorry to say that there is nothing that XXXX can do.

I do hope that you can find some other way of sorting this out.

Kind regards

Comment

Dear Gladstones,

I, as defendant, am in receipt of your court claim number xxxxxxxx in which the claimant is xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

I would like to bring to your attention CPR 16.4 which centres around the contents of the claim form and practice direction 16 particularly 7.5 This case should be repleaded as it is neither concise nor has any information which must be specified.

CPR 16

Contents of the claim form
                    (1) The claim form must –
                    (a) contain a concise statement of the nature of the claim

Contents of the particulars of claim
                    (1) Particulars of claim must include –
                    (a) a concise statement of the facts on which the claimant relies;

Practice direction 16

Other matters to be included in particulars of claim

7.5 Where a claim is based upon an agreement by conduct, the particulars of claim must specify the conduct relied on and state by whom, when and where the acts constituting the conduct were done.

Clearly your particulars of claim are woefully inadequate.

In order to ascertain your response and see if i need to take further action i would ask for an extension to the time for filing a defence pursuant to CPR 15.5 and seek the full 28 days extra and look forward to your cooperation on this. Failure to sort out you case or the issues identified will lead me to consider a summary judgement application particularly if time starts to get short.

As you will no doubt be aware, several judges have taken issue with these templated particulars of claim including, but not limited to,

1. DJ Cawood @ Portsmouth claim C8GF33C8 where the Judge ordered a properly pleaded claim be pleaded or the claim be struck out.

2. DJ Cross @ St Albans where the judge dismissed the claim without a hearing as the particulars of claim were "incoherent, do not set out any facts, give rise to no apparent claim in law, fail to comply with CPR 16.4 and are hereby struck out and the claim dismissed"

Other judges commented that they were "wholly insufficient" "that there was a "want of particulars" etc

I look forwards to your timely response within 7 days.

Yours etc

M1

Comment

Hi there ,
                      Have had no word from Gladstones . What should be my next move. The issue date of the claim form was 20 th october . Acknowledgement of service was filed on the 28th of October.

Best Regards JF

Comment

Give them a quick call and ask if they got your email and if/how they will be responding. Get an email address and confirm the call details by email for evidence purposes.

M1

Comment

I just rang Gladstones at 2.20 . Spoke to a lad who sounded like he was just out of school.Several times i was put on hold where he must have had to go off and ask what to reply . He basically told me at this stage Gladstones were going to do nothing regarding my letter and suggested that if i wanted to dispute the claim form then i needed to do so through the claim form procedure.

I thanked him and emailed back to their enquiries email using the court claim number and my post code for reference and detailing the brief conversation , mentioning the name of the person i spoke to ( Christian name only , he said they were not allowed to give out a surname , and he was the only person working there with his particular christian name).

Comment

Rinse and repeat tomorrow & Wednesday then we'll enter a defence towards the end of the week.

M1

Comment

Is it ok to do this by email for the next couple of days . I take it the point is that it shows you have tried to get Gladstones to issue a proper claim form and that that they have declined to do so despite receiving a recorded letter , a telephone call and a couple of emails?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X