• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Swift Advances Plc v Daley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swift Advances Plc v Daley

Heres is the Judgment from the Swift case i referred to in my last blog entry.   IN THE COUNTY COURT AT BOW*********************************************** **** Case No: 4PB02756   96 Romford Road Stratford London E15 4EG 13th April 2016 * BEFORE:   ********************************************* DISTRICT JUDGE BELL   BETWEEN: ********************************************* *SWIFT ADVANCES PLC******************************************** Claimant ************************************************** ****************** * ************************************************** ************* -and- […]

More...
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.
    Tags: None

Re: Swift Advances Plc v Daley

Excellent result Paul & Tom.

Some notable exerpts:

As is clear from the Supreme Court decision in the Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National Plc and Others [2009] EWCA Civ 116, it is not open to the Court to assess the fairness of the actual interest rate charged, neither party arguing that this is a Regulation 6(2) case. It is, however, open to a court to assess the fairness of a term that sets a mechanism for changing that rate.
    Nice! So that'll be Hatosag as successfully used in Foster-Burnell v Lloyds.

It is not, as the Defendant’s counsel states, “possible to vary the rate for any reason Swift sees fit”. Increases must be linked to the cost of borrowing.
    Considering all these matters, in my judgment, the charge provisions imposed on the account for the years 2006 through to before November 2009, are to be regarded as unfair under the Regulation. They created an imbalance between the parties to the detriment of the consumer, who had to pay charges not linked to Swift’s costs of dealing with a customer in default.
    In my judgment, these matters, based on the management of the account and the charges imposed which were contrary to the Regulations, gives rise to an unfair relationship.
    Secondly, with regard to the management of the account, my attention has been drawn to the cases of Harrison v Link Financial Ltd [2011] EWHC B3 and Roberts v Bank of Scotland PLC [2013] EWCA Civ 88. In the latter case brought under the Protection of Harassment Act 1997, damages were awarded of £7,500. The events as I have described are of a similar magnitude and therefore I order that the sum of £7,500 be credited to Ms Daley’s account to reduce the sums outstanding.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X