• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Internet Usage query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Usage query

Hi all,

I'll cut right to it. Earlier today my line manager called me in for a chat and advised that she had got a report of my internet usage over the past couple of weeks and she deems it to be excessive.

She asked me a number of questions about my understanding of the policy and if I considered it to be acceptable. I'll be perfectly honest, I do surf the internet during work hours. Our systems are slow and take time to update so I tend to potter around while waiting for these updates to happen.

I'm not trying to excuse what I did but up until today I didn't really see it as an issue but apparently it is and I didn't go near the internet for the rest of today.

I was a bit blindsided by the whole thing so can't remember every question that was asked. One of them was definitely my understanding of the policy -which allows for fair use-, whether I considered this acceptable -I don't- and if any previous managers had spoken to me about my internet usage -they haven't as far as I recall, certainly never anything that was recorded officially anywhere-.

I did make sure to ask the implications of this and she said that she honestly didn't know at this point. She would speak to our IT department, take into account what I said and let me know. It may go nowhere but it may go somewhere.

I'm naturally concerned about this and wonder what that "somewhere" could be? Is it likely to be an instant dismissal or is worst case a formal disciplinary procedure of some kind? I realise not knowing the company doesn't help in this situation but if anyone has any experience with this I'd greatly appreciate the advice.

I've worked for this company for about 7 years and have never had any formal procedures such as warnings or anything else against my name.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Tags: None

Re: Internet Usage query

If it was going to be an instant dismissal you would already have been suspended pending an investigation or given a date for a disciplinary. They could issue you with a warning but I doubt it would go further than that. With 7 years of service, the would have to be very careful to follow a proper procedure to avoid an unfair dismissal claim. Even when it gets to that point, it may be impossible to establish how much time you actually spent surfing the net, because the reports in question only have your browsing history. A single webpage can cause a lot of files to download and be recorded as hits: adverts, images, videos, etc. and that makes it look like you have visited a lot of sites when you haven't. You could spend 5 seconds on the page and then open something else and do some work with the page open in the background, there is no way to indicate the time you've spent on any given page. In case you ask, yes, I have experience of a similar situation where the case went to the tribunal and the browsing history presented was dismissed on those grounds.

It would be different if someone had complained about work not being done or deadlines being missed while you were on the internet.

Comment

Thanks for your quick response. So you think it'll be some form of written warning with the view that I should buck up my ideas?

That part won't be a problem as I am now aware that it causes issues and I'll stop entirely. Any internet usage will be during break period and before/after my shift begins.

The part about files downloaded makes sense actually as I do leave browser windows open for hours at a time before returning to them/realising they are there and closing them. I don't know for certain what will happen but from what you're saying a dismissal is impossible at this point. Is it possible that the suspension/investigation part could come after this point?

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

do you have a company handbook, this will explain the procedures they have to follow with regard to disciplinary matters, it may also give an indication of the things that trigger the disciplinary process. Also, have a look at the internet usage policy as this may tell you what your company do if the policy is breached.

Comment

Hi,

The policies are published online so I'll need to have a poke through and see what it says about usage. From memory the whole thing is vague with only guidance notes for managers and what they do in these scenarios.

My biggest concern is getting sacked over this without notice as that's not something I can afford.

Comment

I'm sure it will put your mind to rest. [MENTION=93266]Estrella[/MENTION] made some really good points in their post

It would be extremely harsh to sack you over this, in my previous employment where this has happened it has led to people having access to the internet restricted and verbal warnings (if necessary) in the first instance.

Comment

That I could deal with as it wasn't an issue I was aware of. Now that I am then I can definitely resolve it but need to be given that opportunity first.

I've been doing a lot of googling and I've seen that people have been dismissed over this which has naturally made me feel worse. It's like googling medical symptoms and assuming you have the worst illness that you can find matching those symptoms.

It's the being stuck in limbo I'm struggling with as well, who knows if I'll find out the next stage on Monday or not.

Comment

Try not to worry (easier said than done I know). My dad always used to say 'don't worry about things you can't change' and it's only now I realise the value of this.

If they are going to do anything about it they would need to follow the correct procedures. Go and see your manager on Monday and ask them what's happening and let them know you've been worried about it, she probably has no idea how worried you are.

Comment

Yeah I'm trying to divert my attention but it's been hanging over me and it's difficult to put it out of my mind. I think I will drop my manager a line and mention that I'm concerned and see if there's any sort of update or if it can even be resolved informally. I've never been in this sort of situation before so I'm unsure how to deal with it. All over a really stupid thing to be doing as well.

Comment

Let us know how you get on. There are plenty of people on here that will be able to give you advice

Comment

Thank you very much, I'll be sure to post an update once I know more.

Here's hoping for good news.

Comment

[MENTION=66751]Jojo71[/MENTION] I took your advice and got in touch with my manager. I apologised and said I was willing to do whatever was necessary to rectify this in some way.

Her response was that she understands that I'm concerned and wanted a speedy resolution but needed me to clear a few things up. One of which was around the sites visited. Apparently a number of them had flagged as malicious. I advised that there's a lot of emailing that goes on and some of it involves memes, funny pictures and that sort of thing. Every now and again on an image search clicking on the image blocks the site because it's on somewhere that has been blocked for whatever reason. That is the extent of my "malicious" visitation.

She couldn't confirm whether this will result in my dismissal or not because she needs more information from IT before making a recommendation to HR. My concern is this - how likely are IT too come to the conclusion that this explains the flagged sites? I don't understand how these reports work and I'm concerned that this will count against me as there will be no way to prove that this is what I've been doing when that's all it is.

This keeps getting worse and worse and I'm more and more worried that I'm not going to survive this with my job intact.

Comment

Cross that bridge when you get to it. Have you looked at the disciplinary process, usually within that it will list what can cause you to be dismissed and how they have to approach it.

Make sure you keep a record of everything that has been said to you so far and what you have said in return. Records are so useful if anything does happen.

The stuff that got blocked where I used to work was as vague as the word win (even if it appeared within another word like windows). Just because it's blocked doesn't make it malicious, very poor choice of words. Your manager should have got this all sorted before speaking to you as all she appears to have done is make you worry,

Could you speak to hr yourself?

You could always join a union for advice (if you're not a member of one already)

Comment

I've had a look through it and there are certain interpretations that could suggest dismissal. For instance viewing inappropriate material online could come under gross misconduct. I get what you mean about the filters. IGN is blocked at work but I wouldn't consider that harmful necessarily and many of the image results lead to images that are on blocked sites for whatever reason.

I'm just concerned that whatever investigation IT run won't agree with what I've said because all I've done is look for images and had them blocked when I click "view image". Wasting time on the internet? Sure but gross misconduct through visiting malicious or inappropriate material? Certainly never my intention as I would never go into those sorts of websites.

You're right, it has really made me worry and I just want a result that doesn't end with the loss of my job. I'm terrified that this is going to be the end result here as I feel that conclusions will be drawn that just aren't true. How am I supposed to prove it though?

My company doesn't recognise a union but we do have an Employee Rep body who advised me today that they feel this should have been an informal chat in the first instance followed by some form of corrective action that could be dealt with by both parties. My manager has skipped that and went straight for the usage reports which really confuses me.

As I've said, I don't know what I'll do if it ends in me getting sacked and I don't feel that will be wholly justified if I do. I'm just worried that IT won't find sufficient evidence to support my story.

Comment

I don't know the law regarding trade unions but I'm pretty sure they cannot stop you joining one. I think your company not recognising them is probably more to do with pay negotiations. There's no harm in you phoning them for a chat anyway. Check your house insurance (or any insurance you hold) as you may have free legal cover within there too.

Did your employee rep body give you any advice?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X