• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received letter from DWF??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received letter from DWF??

Hi

I have been reading threads all day and were situations have been similar to mine they have varied a little.

Long story short, I got shopping with my mother regularly at the same Tesco store. My mother uses "shop and scan" forgot to scan a few items (she has memory issues and forgetfulness) (no more than £10) I know I should had checked that she did but it had been a long day I just wanted to get home. No check had come up on shop and scan device so we believe we are all set and headed out. We were then approached by a guard who said he thinks we didn't scan all the items and askws us to go back to the area, which we obliged. We unpack our trolly and they list things off and said we hadn't scanned some items. My mum is beside herself now knowing that she didn't intentionally not scan the items. I offer to pay with cash, which is refused. The lady who was assisting asked us to go back to the room so we could and I quote "have a chat" No chat took place. We were placed in a small room (along with another unknown gentleman) left for 5 minutes after which a different guard comes in and takes my mother and I's names, DOBs and Address. He leaves again. After another 10 minutes or so said lady comes back in a announces to us and the gentleman that we were being issues with a civil notice. I asked what that was to which she replied "The letter will explain all" I asked if that involved the police she said no. She mentioned that it would have a crime number but the police would not be involved and they were not present at the scene. We were then allowed to take our existing shopping and leave. We have been given a ban for 3 months. (Side note: I deal with my own mental health issues so today has been very upsetting)

I'm just looking for a little advice and a little reassurance really.

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Civil Notice from Tesco - Please Help

Hi K_Z,

As you have read some of the other threads around civil recovery notices you will note that despite the small differences in the circumstances, none of them have been taken to court, or had anything happen to them at all other than receiving a few narky letters from RLP.

The procedure Tesco followed really doesn't sound reasonable or fair at all, and I would be making a complaint to the top man - Dave Lewis - about yours and your mums treatment.

If you receive any letters from RLP ignore them - come post on here if you are worried.

There won't be a crime number on them - RLP can't issue crime numbers, nor can Tesco. Actually Tesco are supposed to give you a bit of paper outlining the RLP procedure - did they do that ? Did they make you sign anything?

Shop at Lidl / Aldi in future....

[MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION]
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Morning Amethyst

Thanks for your reply it's much appreciated!

Tesco didn't give mum and I am letter or ask us to sign anything. The women told us to expect a letter, verbally told us we were banned for 3 months (won't be going back ever after this!) She did mention that if we did try to enter the store then that would be classed as trespassing and the police would be called but like I said we have zero intentions of ever shopping there again!

This is the first time either of us have been involved in anything like this so every possible scenario runs through your head.

Thanks again

Comment

I'd have a chat with your mum and tell her that some letters might come from a company called RLP ( Retail Loss Protection ) and they might have big red lettering and sound really official and accuse her of being a criminal etc etc. You could show her some of the letters people on here have previously received and talk through what's happened in those cases ( nothing ). Better to be prepared, then when she does receive one of the letters it won't send her into a tailspin, as they really are quite intimidating letters if you haven't seen them before - but they are just letters, and really rather meaningless.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

What nonsense from Tesco email a complaint to the CEO if RLP contact you come on here for advice

Comment

Safeway use to use this method before selling out to Morrisons - a member of staff said on more than one occasion they do spot checks during the day on a number of scan users, so is not un common in those days.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesco Plc
            Mr Dave Lewis Chief Executive
            Email dave.lewis@uk.tesco.com
            Telephone 01992 646628 (Direct)
            Switchboard 01992 632222
            Website http://www.tesco.com
            Social Media
            Postal Address Tesco House Shire Park, Kestrel Way, Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom, AL7 1GA
            Company Number 00519500

Comment

Yep but the spot checks don't usually end up with the customer being put in a room with a stranger with no information and then being banned from the store and being told to expect a civil recovery letter with a crime reference number on.... disgusting behaviour yet again from Tesco.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Sorry Mike - it's

Switchboard 01992 632222

Benny is Tesco BANK.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

we know that hence a complaint direct to CEO Tesco, just stating from the past how another old company did it for info!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Sorry Mike - it's

Switchboard 01992 632222

Benny is Tesco BANK.
                  amended it immediately!

Comment

Ahh cool...

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi and Welcome.
                      Hope your mother has recovered from what can be a very intimidating experience.

Why don't firms like Tesco actually train their staff in correct procedures, and good customer relationships.
                      Agreed that they need to keep losses from shoplifting to a minimum, but that doesn't mean they have to be heavy handed or tell untruths.
                      To say the incident would be allocated a crime number is not only a nonsense, it is intimidating as it raises the incident from one of a mistake to a crime, which could cause concern to a vulnerable innocent person.
                      Once again we have te staff of a large retail outfit acting as judge and jury in what is a very minor lapse
                      They do not seem able to accept that their systems could possibly lend themselves to causing genuine errors.
                      If you feel strongly enough about the incident, by all means complain to Mr Lewis dave.lewis@uk.tesco.com
                      I read somewhere he receives 2000 emails per day, so don't expect a personal response!

As for any begging letters you get from RLP : ignore, ignore and ignore some more.
                      Last edited by des8; 21st September 2016, 09:22:AM. Reason: late response following wedding day blues!!

Comment

Reason: late response following wedding day blues!!
                        Hangover then?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

ONE reason not to use self service tills we can all make mistakes even TESCO do

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                            Hangover then?
                            NOPE! I was DESignated driver, but the party went on for two days and I'm knackered now!!
                            Did get given bottle of 21 year old Bushmills tho' for my trouble.

Sorry.. back to topic!!

Comment

Hi All!

Yeah, random spot checks do happen, we've had them before. But this time there was no spot check and the guard came over to us as we were exiting the store. They checked after that and we had missed a few items and then I offered to pay and was very apologetic. I will tell my mum that I have had advice from this wonderful site and explain these letters we are going receive. I will upload when we get them if that's ok although I am almost certain now from this site they will be almost exact copies of others letters just with the name changed!

She really shouldn't had said the indent would carry a crime number if that wasn't true!

Thanks again for talking me through this it's much appreciated

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X