• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shared water supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared water supply

My neighbour is able to control my domestic water supply via the stopcock INSIDE her house (not via stopcock in street) This only happened after she had major repairs to her house. We are on shared water supply. She tells me she is leaving the house empty and it will be sold but intends to turn water off before she leaves, leaving me without water. I am a pensioner and do not have funds to have work carried out to give me my own water supply, which is what the water company say is the only solution. Can anybody give advice please.
    Tags: None

Re: Shared water supply

Originally posted by Inner Peace View Post
    My neighbour is able to control my domestic water supply via the stopcock INSIDE her house (not via stopcock in street) This only happened after she had major repairs to her house. We are on shared water supply. She tells me she is leaving the house empty and it will be sold but intends to turn water off before she leaves, leaving me without water. I am a pensioner and do not have funds to have work carried out to give me my own water supply, which is what the water company say is the only solution. Can anybody give advice please.
    Good morning, welcome to LB,

I think you need to contact the water company asap, you cannot be left with out a water supply.

Who do you pay for your water?

nem

Comment

Have you checked you house deeds to see if there is anything in them regarding the shared supply?
      If you have an easement for a water supply, your neighbour cannot just turn off your supply.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
        Good morning, welcome to LB,

I think you need to contact the water company asap, you cannot be left with out a water supply.

Who do you pay for your water?

nem
        Thank you.
        Spoken to Severn Trent, they advise I contact a plumber to re-route waterpipes so that I have own water supply. Every two houses in this street are on shared water/sewerage. Nobody else has encountered the problem I am having. I've been here 30 years and not had a problem with previous owners and water. It would appear that next door's inside stopcock has been moved from under sink to a new site, this was done during extensive repair work.

Comment

[MENTION=92509]Inner Peace[/MENTION], who did the repair work on your neighbours house? Was it Severn Trent?

Comment

Obviously you are living in an older property.
            Even if it is not expressed in the deeds you will have an easement for the supply of water, and this cannot arbitrarily turned off by your neighbour
            This easement could possibly have been granted by reason of common intention of the original owners or builders of the property.

If your neighbour is unreasonable and insists that she will turn off the water, then write to her formally telling her that if she does that she will be making your house uninhabitable until you have arranged an alternative supply. This will involve costs and you will, if she doesn't meet those costs initiate court action, and seek to recover not only your costs but also damages for inconvenience.
            If you feel you can't do this yourself, arrange via citizen's advice for a solicitor to assist you.

Comment

Many thanks for advice, problem shared etc. Neighbour moved from house some 6 months, her daughter came and went. No idea of neighbour's new address or even area. I'm hoping a For Sale sign will go up then I'll contact estate agent, but doubt she'll use an agent.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your response. Repair work on neighbour's house was her father. He is <apparently> a builder. and lives out of county.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X