• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equita council tax bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equita council tax bailiffs

When i got home from work today, I have received an enforcement letter from equita, saying he is authorised by the court to remove my goods/vehicle. They have charged a compliance fee of £75 and enforcement fee of £235. I have made payments to equita and offered them an amount, but i have still had a bailiff come to my home.
    Tags: None

Re: Equita council tax bailiffs

Originally posted by louise1271 View Post
    When i got home from work today, I have received an enforcement letter from equita, saying he is authorised by the court to remove my goods/vehicle. They have charged a compliance fee of £75 and enforcement fee of £235. I have made payments to equita and offered them an amount, but i have still had a bailiff come to my home.
    Hi Louise.

Could we have a bit more information please?

When did you receive the notice of enforcement?
    When did you make offers to pay?
    How much did you offer to pay?
    How many payments did you make?
    How much was each one for?
    How much is the debt for?
    Do you own a car?

Sorry to be a pain but the answers to the above will enable us to determine the best course of action.

Comment

I received the letter today, i made a payment of £50 then about three payments of £10, which is what i offered to pay every month. They phone me constantly to make more payments. I have a car which is on finance.

Comment

So you made 4 separate payments today, totalling £80?
        You are offering to pay £80 per month?
        Is that correct?
        Prior to the visit, you should have received a notice of enforcement from Equita. This should have given you around 14 days to contact them to discuss repaying the debt. If you didn't respond, that is why the visit has taken place today, adding another £235 to the account.
        How much is outstanding either including the bailiff fees or what was originally outstanding before their fees were added?

Comment

I received a letter from them and i got in contact to say i can only afford £10 a month and if i have spare money i will pay more. Ive come home to enforcement letter. I called equita and they told me that bcc will not accept £10 a month thats why the bailiffs have been round. Can they take my car which is on finance.

Comment

Asking to pay £10 per month is a tad optimistic if it is for this years tax. The £80 that you paid Equita will nearly all have gone towards their fees.

Unfortunately, if you have a loan on your car, it is vulnerable to removal. You need to park it well away from your home.

You don't have to let the bailiff into your house, you don't even have to open your door to him but you are caught between the devil & the deep blue sea here.

As a first port of call, I would contact the recovery department at BCC and enquire whether an attachment of earnings was considered in this case and if not, why not? Ask that they place enforcement on hold whilst this question is being answered. Go on to tell them that you want to pay the debt back but you are in trouble with your finances. Send a copy of the letter to Equita.

keep your car away from your home (at least 5 mins walk) and try to park it on a friends drive if possible. Do not speak with bailiffs if they return and tell them that there is a question raised with the council regarding the matter.

Whilst the account is on hold, try to put the money away each week-This will help you further on in the process.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X