• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught Shoplifting...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught Shoplifting...

Hey guys,
    I have a little problem and I was hoping you could help; me and my friend were on the way to football training, we met in Primark. He stopped me and insisted he wanted a specific jacket but forgot his wallet at home, likewise I didn't bring mine considering we were going to football. After about ten minutes, ignoring my advice he decided to put 2 jackets into my duffel bag.

We were apprehended at the door by 2-3 security guards and brought into a small room. Me and my friend are both 16 but he lied and said he was 15, the security guard claimed social services would need to be contacted if we were both underage so I decided to say I was 16. In addition, he also stated my friend would not have to pay a fine because he isn't 16 The police were not called and the items were retrieved undamaged (added up to about £20), they requested our name (mispelt my surname) and address and asked to contact an adult (my older brother) who verified our first names and my address.

Weeks later, I received my first letter from RLP "letter before claim", which stated I needed to pay £149.50 in return for security services etc. I decided to do some research and found people in similar(ish) situations to me, I read the advice from these forums which told me not to respond to their letters and not to contact them.

However, ( a month apart from the initial letter ) I received my second letter today, claiming I'm a juvenile and if I do not contact them in 21 days they'll be forced to contact my parents under the copy right act. My first name and address are correct but, I do not want to involve my parents; I deserve everything that's happened to me and I should take responsibility of my own actions.

My friend did agree to split half of the fine with me and the security guard insisted that if I telephoned them they'd understand my situation and reconsider the amount (although from reading other forums I doubt that). My brother knows what's going on but I haven't told him about the fine as he'd panic insist on paying himself. I value any advice thanks for taking the time to read this; I appreciate what you guys do here and I understand stealing from Primark is pathetic. I can post pictures of the letters if requested.
    Tags: None

Re: Caught Shoplifting...

Well, you know already what advice we will give: IGNORE.
    I understand you would rather your parents were not informed, but really IMO your best way forward is to confide in them and refer them to this forum (or any other)
    It was not the crime of the century, and although we do not condone it, nor do we condone RLP running a vigilante type operation.
    They are not imposing a fine (fines follow court action) but are trying to con money out of you.
    They are past masters at pressurising vulnerable people, and this is what they are doing to you.
    They say if you don't pay, they will advise your parents as you are minors.
    Obviously they are not concerned with your welfare: this is a threat, pure and simple.
    In fact by saying that they are running very close to a criminal act.
    If they actually do contact your parents they will be breaching your privacy rights.
    I would prefer you call their bluff and tell your parents yourself, then if they do contact them both you and they can threaten them.
    However it is your choice,
    " I deserve everything that's happened to me and I should take responsibility of my own actions."
    True: you were caught and returned the goods. If anything else needs to happen that is the job of the courts, not some self appointed guardians who want to profit from someone else's misdemeanours!
    IMO their actions are much more despicable than your minor on the spur of the moment indiscretion.
    They plan their nastiness.

Comment

My advice...

Stop nicking stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped-Off View Post
        My advice...

Stop nicking stuff.
        Not the most helpful advice in the world, the OP has already said he is aware of his wrongdoing and feels he should pay the consequences.
        TBH it is not the crime of the century and what reason has anyone to believe that he was the one actually culpable.

What the hell do they mean the copyright act! I would be inclined to ask them if they are breaching the Human Rights Act or if you really want to confuse them, Article 8 of the Un declaration on the rights of the child http://www.ohchr.org/en/professional...pages/crc.aspx

They are just my musings and not to be taken that seriously , I would do as Des suggests, confide in your parents and show them almost any forum on the internet with regard to them

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Well, you know already what advice we will give: IGNORE.
          I understand you would rather your parents were not informed, but really IMO your best way forward is to confide in them and refer them to this forum (or any other)
          It was not the crime of the century, and although we do not condone it, nor do we condone RLP running a vigilante type operation.
          They are not imposing a fine (fines follow court action) but are trying to con money out of you.
          They are past masters at pressurising vulnerable people, and this is what they are doing to you.
          They say if you don't pay, they will advise your parents as you are minors.
          Obviously they are not concerned with your welfare: this is a threat, pure and simple.
          In fact by saying that they are running very close to a criminal act.
          If they actually do contact your parents they will be breaching your privacy rights.
          I would prefer you call their bluff and tell your parents yourself, then if they do contact them both you and they can threaten them.
          However it is your choice,
          " I deserve everything that's happened to me and I should take responsibility of my own actions."
          True: you were caught and returned the goods. If anything else needs to happen that is the job of the courts, not some self appointed guardians who want to profit from someone else's misdemeanours!
          IMO their actions are much more despicable than your minor on the spur of the moment indiscretion.
          They plan their nastiness.
          Originally posted by Anthony72 View Post
          Not the most helpful advice in the world, the OP has already said he is aware of his wrongdoing and feels he should pay the consequences.
          TBH it is not the crime of the century and what reason has anyone to believe that he was the one actually culpable.

What the hell do they mean the copyright act! I would be inclined to ask them if they are breaching the Human Rights Act or if you really want to confuse them, Article 8 of the Un declaration on the rights of the child http://www.ohchr.org/en/professional...pages/crc.aspx

They are just my musings and not to be taken that seriously , I would do as Des suggests, confide in your parents and show them almost any forum on the internet with regard to them
          Thank you guys so much for your responses/advice; but I dont think I have the guts to tell my parents. They'd wouldn't really understand it from my perspective but instead rush and pay the fine regardless. So I'd rather have to pay the fine and not let them know...

- - - Updated - - -

My advice...

Stop nicking stuff.
          Thanks man, I'll listen

Comment

Your choice, but best wishes anyway

Comment

My advice...

Stop nicking stuff.
              We are here to help, not to condemn, everyone at some time or another makes a wrong decision.

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
                We are here to help, not to condemn, everyone at some time or another makes a wrong decision.
                Soumd advice frpm rippedoff IMO we ALL MAKEMISTAKES and should learn by them a kick in the rear and the fear of parents in this case should do the trick good luck to the OP I agree with des tell his parents stops worrying they will find out later

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                  Soumd advice frpm rippedoff IMO we ALL MAKEMISTAKES and should learn by them a kick in the rear and the fear of parents in this case should do the trick good luck to the OP I agree with des tell his parents stops worrying they will find out later
                  Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  Your choice, but best wishes anyway
                  Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
                  Thanks for all the support guys I'll tell them and let them know what's going on

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyB View Post
                    but I dont think I have the guts to tell my parents. They'd wouldn't really understand it from my perspective but instead rush and pay the fine regardless. So I'd rather have to pay the fine and not let them know.
                    You must do what feels right for you.

My daughter would rather pay the fine than tell me, not because she's scared of how I'd react (I wish ) but because she wouldn't want to upset me.

She once 'forgot' to swipe her Oyster card on a bendy bus in London and got caught by the inspector. When she told me (the fine letter arrived) I went potty. I paid the fine and she never did it again. Mostly because I scared her with the fact she'd never get a visa to visit the US if she got a criminal record. That worked.

Good luck with whatever you decide and stay out of Primark!

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post

My daughter would rather pay the fine than tell me, not because she's scared of how I'd react (I wish ) but because she wouldn't want to upset me.

She once 'forgot' to swipe her Oyster card on a bendy bus in London and got caught by the inspector. When she told me (the fine letter arrived) I went potty. I paid the fine and she never did it again. Mostly because I scared her with the fact she'd never get a visa to visit the US if she got a criminal record. That worked.

Di
                      Thanks Diana, I feel the same way as your daughter to be honest, I don't want to upset my parents either but I feel like I should at least inform them; and accept their reaction. Thanks for helping x

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post

Di
                        I always understood that this was the case until looking at the ESTA recently where the only questions were terrorism based i think. So so long as you don't tell them you are on your way to recruit for ISIS or similar it seems it may be ok. Of course now I have written this I will probably
                        be sent back at the border - or worse allowed into stay with Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony72 View Post
                          I always understood that this was the case until looking at the ESTA recently where the only questions were terrorism based i think. So so long as you don't tell them you are on your way to recruit for ISIS or similar it seems it may be ok. Of course now I have written this I will probably
                          be sent back at the border - or worse allowed into stay with Trump.
                          If you intend to lie on the ESTA and apply under the VWP only do it with knowledge of possible (not probable) outcomes (http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgeba...g-america-usa/) !!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X