• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VT notice is up - next steps as car not collected?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VT notice is up - next steps as car not collected?

Hi Kirstyanne, best thing I can suggest is create your own thread for your VT as it will be noticed there rather than within this one as this purely relates to my own experience.
    The guys here are really helpful & will keep you right

Comment

Thank you! Have just started a new thread

Comment

A small update on my ongoing saga - my credit rating has now dropped and a default is showing against the Startline account.
        I've had no response to the email I sent their collections analyst (detailed in above posts) nor have I had any response to my complaint, which is now a month old.

I feel I should send them a reminder letter at this stage, detailing the further hassles I've experienced as well as my health concerns.
        I'm also rather shocked that they've proceeded with the default, given that I advised them of the complaint & reminded them of the FCA rules regarding disputed payments.

Any other advice you could offer at this point @R0b?

cheers

UPDATE ; I've come home from work to a letter from Link Financial stating it is a notice of debt collection services!!

So basically Startline are ignoring my VT, ignoring my complaint and ignoring FCA rules regarding disputes!
        Absolutely unreal.

More scare tactics I presume, but this one has me rather worried.

What should I do here?
        Last edited by brody77; 9th December 2016, 18:11:PM. Reason: Further information

Comment

Hi Brody is it possible to upload the letter you received from Link Financial with personal info removed. you can provide the thumbnail link using this site - www.postimage.org

It is up to you as to what you want to do, there's two possible options.

1. You can pay up, and the likelihood is that the default may stay on your credit file

2. Send a Letter before Action and threaten to take to court for breach of data protection, remove the marker and claim damages.

Sorry Just to add, if you've lodged a formal complaint Link Financial may have purchsed the debt and they shouldn't have done that whilst the complaint in progress. If the default marker is put by Startlne then they need to remove it as they have no right to do so anymore, but if it's link financial then if you go the court route, you need to direct the letter to them.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION], hopefully I've done this right...

Obviously I don't have 5k+ lying around for this, I'm beyond shocked that they've done this, although it's probably worth noting that Startline & Link are part of the same company.

I've had no reply to the complaint as yet (now a month passed), I had no reply after emailing collections two weeks ago, and I continue to be baffled that they seem to be ignoring the CCA & FCA rules in such a manner.

Last thing I need before Xmas to be honest.

I have sent everything to the Ombudsman also, I know Startline have 8 weeks to respond, but with all of this behaviour I felt I had to do something as this is genuinely putting me at breaking point.

Comment

Reading back on the thread you have already made the 50% payments so I am not entirely sure how or why they have come to the conclusion you owe the remaining balance on the agreement?

Unfortunately sending everything to the Ombudsman won't get your complaint looked at any faster. There is a procedure and you have to follow it, no shortcuts I'm afraid.

Have they defaulted your account with the full 5k amount? Again, it depends what you want to do now and generally the fastest way in these situations is court action - everyone usually responds to threats of court action faster than a mere complaint.

Alternatively, you could write to Link Financial, explain that there is a complaint ongoing, the matter should be put on hold in accordance with FCA rules which startline are in breach of. In addition you have already terminated the agreement under section 99 having paid the 50% so the amount they say is owed is wholly wrong and you won't be paying it.

You should also send a letter to Startline and explain that you note there is a default marker on your account, your complaint was submitted on X date and they now have X days left before the matter goes to the Ombudsman and they have passed this onto Link Financial in breach of FCA Rules. YOu also reserve the right to bring a claim for breach of data protection under principle 4 and claim damages of at least £750 or more if you choose to claim aggravated or exemplary damages.

Unless you issue court proceedings, you have to follow the procedures I'm afraid. A claim for damages of £300 would cost you £50 in total, £25 issue fee and £25 hearing fee if it gets to that stage.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

As always [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION], I appreciate your advice.

You're absolutely right, I paid over 50% (31 payments of a 60 month agreement) and the VT was done in September.
                They didn't close the account - the first late payment letter in October I was told to ignore, then in November I was told it was showing as a Voluntary Surrender on the system. Very suspicious behaviour in my opinion.

Comment

Presumably you have evidence that the agreement was terminated i.e. proof of receipt any comments from them about the VT or emails sent to them etc?

Their accounts technically amount to deceit, again something which is actionable in court. Not uncommon for lenders do apply defaults by abusing such powers to get what they want, alot of people never want to go to court and they rely on that. I think it would be hard to prove that you voluntarily surrendered and I believe there is a court case that confirmed if there is confusion as to whether a debtor VT or VS the car, the court would apply the one which favours the debtor as its unlikely the debtor would put themselves in a worse off position unless explicitly clear.

I would also advise to download and/or print a copy of your credit report as evidence they have put an adverse marker on there should you choose to take further action and obtain compensation.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Well, after 6 months, time off work, numerous phone calls, letters, emails, trips to the GP & Hospital and finally an Ombudsman complaint, this ordeal is OVER!

Within ONE WEEK of the Ombudsman stepping in, they not only had a reply from Startline, but a full agreement with my complaint.
                    Account closed with VT processed correctly & no monies owed, default removed from my credit file and "car condition" fee waived (in lieu of compensation, even though the car was immaculate and they didn't do a condition report).

Extremely relieved that this is now resolved & I can put it all behind me.

Just want to end by thanking [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] for all of his advice and encouragement to stick to my guns, and absolute legend.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X