• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

My Grievance Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Grievance Letter

This is most of my grievance letter which I handed in today to my senior union rep. My Manager did eventually sit down when the senior steward came over. The senior steward gave me the 'look lads, you are both union members, I don't want to see anybody get in trouble now', let's resolve this' .... and the standard frightener to me of 'well you never know what may come out at a grievance' .... with the manager chipping in that he has a witness to an incident that did not happen. I got the impression I was being cornered into taking what I had originally requested, my holidays. My manager did agree he would go to his manager to 'see what he could do' regarding my hoiday's. My problem is this is something that happens regularly on our section. Most of my colleagues believe it is time for this manager to answer for his behavior. The manager is not trying to sort our the holidays to appease the union, while still not admitting anything. And the union would prefer everybody to be happy, but will file my grievance if I want to.

Do I continue the grievance to make sure nobody treated this way again ?
    or
    Accept my orholiday hoiday request and leave it ?

Letter below. Not the best but you'll get the point.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

I have an issue with my Manager, for which I would like to open up a grievance. He has treated me unequally, and I have the proof, and witnesses, to back this claim up. My local & senior reps have tried to mediate with Mr Manager, but in trying, have themselves had to endure Mr Managers inappropriate attitude.

My 1st issue, is for the requested days in bold below, which I had wanted to book as individual leave hours. The holiday board was clear for these dates at the time I booked, and at the time I was declined. I confirmed this with my union rep (REP 1). There was adequate space.

October
    Tue 18th - 3 currently booked off, 1 being a Supervisor. SUPs do not count towards labour %
    Wed 19th - 3 booked off, 1 of those a SUPs
    Thur 20th - 3 booked off, 2 of those SUPs
    Fri 21st - 6 booked off, 3 of those

After I was declined, I questioned Mr Manager in the office with my union rep Mr D. His reply, "you're not having them" He was very condescending, as always.

I raised this a 2nd time, a few days later, when Mr Manager invited any issues whilst in a group . He again replied "you're not having them" . When I asked for what reason considering the holiday board was in fact clear, his reply was "I make the decisions" ..... There were many people present to back this up. I felt he displayed a total lack of respect, and it was embarrassing for me in a group to receive an answer like that.

This has not just affected me, this has affected my family, as we were planning to go on holiday on these dates, but we have had to cancel due to this ongoing issue. My kids will miss out due to Mr Managers unfair & unequal treatment of me, and this has caused me stress, for which I have visited my doctor.

My union rep (REP 1) agrees that there is no reason for these to be declined, so therefore I have been treated unfairly & unequally considering other people were allocated part shifts after me, and also that someone was allocated a day that had I requested, after I was declined. Mr Manager has abused his power as a Manager. There is no excuse for this treatment of an employee. He has failed to provide me with a valid reason for declining this request on numerous occasions, and in front of union reps.

My 2nd issue
    Block of 4 hours
    November - from 5pm-9pm.

There were at the time of requesting, and time of decline, only 2 booked off on this day on our holiday board. 1 being a SUP. This was to take my kids to see a show, and was requested 4/5 months in advance. Mr Manager also declined this, passing a message through the SUP who returned the declined form, his message: "I will let himl know the day before, if we have cover"..... Seriously ? 4/5 months in advance, with 2 people off on our holiday board, 1 being a SUP. Why ? When questioned, Mr Manager replied "I don't have to give partial shifts" ....Okay, fair enough !! .....

......So if Mr Manager "does not have to give partial shifts", then why did he then give (PERSON 1), who works next to me, 1 hours leave on the day we broke up in July ? This was given after he told me he "does not have to give partial shifts".

.... Why did he then allocate (PERSON 2), who also works next to me, that very same day I requested in November, later that week ? (PERSON 2) will back this claim, as will the holiday booking system. This was also after I was declined.

.....And why did he give (PERSON 3) 2 hours leave in October, which he requested last week ?
    I am clearly being treated unfairly & unequally by Mr Manager. Not only is this against company policy, but this treatment of an employee is surely unlawful. My local rep agrees that there was no reason to decline this request.

Another issue I have is that when Mr Manager was questioned by union rep (REP 2) about this issue, Mr Manager 'assumed' I wanted leave for a football match in November. It is not Mr Managers place to assume why I need my personal time, or even ask. I find this invasion of my privacy offensive. If I have requested leave, in adequate time, and there is space to accommodate me, I do not expect to be questioned on why I need my own entitled leave. I am not a child.

Mr Managers attitude is inappropriate considering his position within this company. He is condescending, and confrontational, and not in line with the dignity policy. Many workers on my section will agree. It is only a matter of time before brings this company into disrepute. He does not consider the result of his actions, and does not care for his employees welfare. He is not interested in finding a solution, rather "who done it ?". It is common knowledge that a younger quiet lad (24), recently had to bring in a letter from his mother to prove that he had a funeral before Mr Manager would allow him the time to attend, which he granted at 9pm on an afternoon shift the day before the funeral, when the lad had just gone home. This is the kind of daily games we are subjected to. It is not a happy environment to work in, and I would not expect this to be happening in 2016, never mind in a company the size of this.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X