• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

benefit fraud overpayment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benefit fraud overpayment

the missus got done for benefit fraud dating 2011-2012 went to court she got 200 hrs community service, and 60 pound fine thru court.
    dwp are taking £12 a week out of her money but when we did the income expenditure form i only earnt under £11,000 in the 18 month period. we have requested the dwp re evaulate the amount of overpayment.
    they referred it to courts and tribunals August last year but they cant deal with it til the missus has been given the manadatory number (not sure what its actually called).
    this has been going on for nearly 3yrs. can anyone help and advise on this as its causing the missus so much stress that its making her ill.
    Tags: None

Re: benefit fraud overpayment

Is the £12 a week repayment of the fraudulently claimed benefits ? How long is she due to be repaying that for ? Is it coming directly off her CTC/WTC/ESA ?

Did you defend the benefit fraud claim at the time? or have you just been through your records and worked out that the DWP miscalc'd ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by tonto33 View Post
      the missus got done for benefit fraud dating 2011-2012 went to court she got 200 hrs community service, and 60 pound fine thru court.
      dwp are taking £12 a week out of her money but when we did the income expenditure form i only earnt under £11,000 in the 18 month period. we have requested the dwp re evaulate the amount of overpayment.
      they referred it to courts and tribunals August last year but they cant deal with it til the missus has been given the manadatory number (not sure what its actually called).
      this has been going on for nearly 3yrs. can anyone help and advise on this as its causing the missus so much stress that its making her ill.
      When I worked in revenue enforcement for a local authority, the rate of recovery for Housing Benefit increased dramatically, especially where the overpayment was as a result of fraud. The rate of recovery was set by law and, for fraud, the increased rate was regarded as a penalty for the criminal offence and that the public need to have it repaid as soon as possible.

You do not state what type of benefit was involved in the fraud nor the current payment that it is being taken from but housing benefit is now regarded alongside such things as JSA., ESA etc and the DWP covers all those areas now. I do not know what you mean by a 'mandatory number' but I cannot understand why the DWP have applied to the courts/tribunals for a variation when they can make that very decision at source, especially in the case of hardship.

Out of interest, what was the level of the fraud involved as 200 hrs community service seems quite high?

Comment

it was income support the missus was getting.
        the letter says she owes £10.490.36p which is a lot. every 6 months they try to take more money and up it to £22 per week instead of £11 they currently taking.
        this has caused so much stress as we know she was entitled to some money but they wont refer it to tribunal haven't given her the correct details to do it. is there a quicker way to get this all sorted as so far this year she has sent proof and other details that were requested and they have lost it both times, its getting beyond a joke now. she wants to go back to work next year just part time but scared they will take so much of her wages she wont be able to live etc.
        anyone help and advise us?

sorry not replied forgot my log in details and changed updated computer.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X