• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCA request for card taken out in late 1980's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCA request for card taken out in late 1980's

HI everyone,

Just to let you know I will be posting yet another original contract from Halifax that arrived in todays post.

This now makes 3 original contracts, However, I think this one, although just printed off from a computer, with my name and address at the top - but that is all.

Question is in the T&C's of this one under the heading

23 . ASSIGNMENT it states 2 clauses.

23/1. You (or the authorised user) must not transfer any part of this agreement (or any of your rights under it) to anyone else, unless we agree.

23/2. We may transfer any amounts which you owe us under this agreement (including interest and charges) to our subsidiary, Halifax Credit Card Limited whose registered office is at Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 2RG. If we do, these conditions will still apply.

That's it about assignments on todays original contract.

Does that mean they cannot transfer it to anyone else? Like a DCA?

Of course it goes on to say "we can make any changes to this agreement or its condition at any time we like." - my words not theirs.
    But that statement gives them Carte Blanche to rip it up and give you any old agreement.

Does anyone know the law on making changes to a CCA?
    Some changes are to be expected technology, for example, will change the way in which the agreement works and needs to be amended. So what changes can they make and what can't they change?

sidley

PS will scan and post todays offering during today.

Comment

Hello Sidley, responding to your PM

Somewhere in all these seemingly unconnected bits of paper there will be a clause regarding the assignment of rights /interests to a 3rd party.

nem

Comment

I have scan it (reading) and can find no other reference to assigning rights to a 3rd party!

No mention in any other parts of the agreement or T&Cs

sidley

Comment

Your PM to me has bounced since my Inbox was full. I've had a declutter if you want to try again

However I'm not able to advise on the potential 'unenforceability' of redacted credit agreements if that's what you were seeking.

You say both Halifax and Cabot claim to own this account. What makes you think that?

Di

Comment

Hello Diana,

In the letter from Cabot is says (on the right hand side in boxes) that the "original lender" was Royal Bank of Scotland. The "new creditor" is Marlin V . When Wescot wrote to me it says they were acting as RBS agent. I have had no notice of assignment, but their letter implies that Marlin V no own it.

Many thanks

sidley

Comment

Originally posted by sidley View Post
              In the letter from Cabot is says (on the right hand side in boxes) that the "original lender" was Royal Bank of Scotland. The "new creditor" is Marlin V . When Wescot wrote to me it says they were acting as RBS agent. I have had no notice of assignment, but their letter implies that Marlin V no own it.
              Cabot own Marlin

Di

Comment

Cabot own Marlin

Di

Right I see. But when they say 'New Creditor' does that not imply ownership?

sidley

Comment

Does anyone know the law on making changes to a CCA?
                  s82?
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks Charity for that. I think I will print it out and read it, cos' my eyes are sore from reading the jargon on screen.

sidley

Comment

Hi Sidley,

Sorry for the late reply, I only saw all these notifications when I logged back on. It looks like Nemesis and Diana M have advised you much more proficiently than I could have though!

I agree with Nem's statements above regarding the alleged reconstituted agreements, I can't see anywhere where they have provided the details necessary for this to be considered a 'true copy'.

Am I correct in thinking that you still want to raise this as a formal complaint with them? If so what is the end goal that you want to achieve from that? As in, are you looking for this debt to considered unenforceable or time barred or something else? Also, as a matter of interest... was this original agreement taken out in England or Scotland?

Regards,

Kirjava

Comment

Hello Kirjava,

Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated. After discussing it here, I think I will wait to see what happens before I make any complaint.

The agreement was taken out in Wales (so, English law).

The reason for mentioning formal complaint was because 2 companies were chasing the same account. I think I've worked it out with help from here, that Halifax have not sold it, but have enlisted the nasties from Cabot!

The bit that was confusing for me was in Cabot's letter, they state "Old Creditor" and "New Creditor". Old = Halifax, New= Marlin V.
                        I believed, because it said New Creditor, that meant it had been sold. Cabot were very careful in their wording by just saying " our client" that lead me to believe that is was Marlin V, not Halifax.

I Have not received a NoA so, it looks as though Halifax still own it as their most recent letters would suggest.

I CCA'd Cabot 14/11/16 no reply so far!

Lastly, the weaker their case is the smaller amount I'm going to offer in F&F settlement.

Thanks again

sidley

Comment

Have they shot themselves in the foot?

Firstly, we would like to thank everyone at LB for all their selfless help and advice, I know it can't be easy to deal with people who have never been in this situation before and are madly panicking about it. My wife says that she would like to send a million 'hugs & Kisses' to all those at LB. (NB they are chasing my wife for this, but due to her arthritis in her hands she can no longer type).

Anyway, back to the response from Cabot after their investigation they sent my wife a 4 page document; 3 pages of which I've had already. I have posted a section "My Investigation" which implies that they, after consulting with Halifax, cannot find the original application form and have sent a reconstituted original application form from when the account numbers changed! Together with the T&C's from the date of the change.

Confusing, because we took out a credit card when we were in Yorkshire between 1988 -1991. Hence the title of this thread. When we threatened them for non compliance of numerous CCA requests with the FoS, this is when we finally got this badly photocopied application form dated 1997. Neither my wife (who was the main applicant) and myself can ever remember filling one out, especially when on the application form it stated our small towns own branch. Our small town only has had HSBC(gone), NatWest(also gone) and Barclays(still here).

Considering the alleged recon. application form has been completed by hand (not our hand writing) together with our signatures (look genuine) does this mean they have forged a document? In Halifax's letter they stated this was the original application form.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks again

confused sidley

PS I have also attached the redacted "recontituted application form"
                          Attached Files

Comment

ouch? cricked me neck upside down

Comment

lol, Mike, you should be able to right click on the open PDF doc and click ROTATE clockwise ... rather than pulll a muscle.
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Is the date of Halifax's signature the same date as your signatures ?

Wondering if you might have completed this in a branch with the teller writing it and you just signing it? Just as the ID stuff says 'offered' by it that might indicate an in branch conversation?

Where abouts does it mention your towns branch ?

Bit weird they refer to it as reconstituted but then put the signatures on and fail to supply ANY terms. It isn't compliant as it is, even if genuine.

Ahhh
                                Together with the T&C's from the date of the change.
                                are they the full terms including all the rates of interest, default, cancellation etc information ?

took out a credit card when we were in Yorkshire between 1988 -1991.
                                Had you moved before the date of the signatures on this app ?

I can't see why you'd complete a new application - unless you'd paid/settled the first card and took out a new one.
                                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X