• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Data Protection - mobile phone data

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Protection - mobile phone data

I am trying to retrieve data of phone calls made (i.e. copy phone bills) from my mobile at the beginning of 2012. So far the service provider (Virgin mobile) tells me that I can not get hold of this information as it falls under the data protection act. They will however release the information if they receive a court order to release the information.
    As far as I know, this is my data and should be released to me upon request. How can I get them to release this information, taking into account the following:
    There is no direct phone number you can call, you have to write a letter to Cardiff.
    You should receive an acknowledgment within 48 hours - it has been a month and still nothing has been sent.
    Their Customer Service persons can see the request on the system, but keep referring to internal processes which take time and are unable to give any timescales, but they also do not return calls or come back with information.

I need this information within the next few weeks for a court case and am struggling to make them comply.
    Any advice would be appreciated.:judgey:
    Tags: None

Re: Data Protection - mobile phone data

Its not a data protection issue, they are fobbing you off. I am not sure how it falls under data protection when you usually receive statements every month which tells you what calls you have made under your account. So if it falls under data protection then surely they have been in breach a number of times?! Sounds silly doesn't it? Virgin clearly don't know how to apply the data protection laws properly but provided you can properly identify yourself, there should be no issue on it.

Your alternative is to request an urgent application hearing for Virgin to disclose it and pay the fees for the application which is £255. The application should be made to the judge hearing your case, if one has already been allocated -If it were me I would be asking for the costs of the application back as it is an unnecessary application when the account in question was your mobile phone account and you should be entitled to see the calls made during the course of your contract, even if a small admin fee was applied.

Did you not think of getting the information before you decided to actually bring a claim? You ought to have all of the evidence you wish to rely on before a claim is issued, not during proceedings or close to the hearing.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X