• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help! Wrongful arrest for fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! Wrongful arrest for fraud

Hello! This post is copied from a rather long and now inappropriately titled previous thread which I started a while ago, full details can be found here:-

http://tinyurl.com/jifftsc

In a nutshell, my husband took all proper and appropriate steps to register the Enduring POA of his father and to carry out his duties as attorney. His father has severe dementia and is a care home under a DOLS order (depravation of libery statement). My husband is jointly and severally attorney with FIL's brother, who has not wanted to get involved because of ill health.

A fortnight ago my poor husband was arrested for fraudulently using a (supposedly) revoked Power of Attorney and for selling his father's ("FIL") flat fraudulently at below the incorrectly assumed market rate.

After being rudely awoken early in the morning by 6 police officers crowding into the bedroom and then whisked off to the nearest custody centre (an hour away) by speeding police, he was detained for a whole day whilst not being offered anything to eat. He returned home at 4.30pm feeling physically ill and, as you can imagine, in a state of extreme agitation.

We couldn't believe some of things the police seized. The warrant specified the removal of evidence relating to the sale of FIL's flat but the police took various cheques from the DWP in my husband's name, his passport and his O-level, A-level and degree certificates, along with other irrelevant paperwork! They also took his work-issued computer and blackberry, which means he'll almost certainly lose his job. However, the police managed to leave behind important paperwork regarding the sale of FIL's flat.

Throughout questioning at the police station, it became apparent that the solicitor who previously acted for FIL and who were seemingly obstructive in releasing the original Enduring Power of Attorney to my husband (see previous posts) alleged that my husband had sold FIL's flat illegally, because the Enduring Power of Attorney in my husband's favour had been revoked (which we were unaware of - again, please see previous posts). The police were also trying to ascertain any links between my husband and the person who eventually purchased the flat. The flat had been on the market for nearly a year as it wasn't selling because it was in such a horrendous state and there was so little interest that the asking price had been reduced after a few months. My husband said it was clear that the questioning officer saw that he was wasting his time as there seemed to be no grounds for the charges at all.

I really can't work out why my husband was arrested (instead of voluntarily brought in for questioning). I also can't work out why the police went to all that trouble if there was clearly no grounds at all for the arrest. Three of the police officers had to travel a long way and stay in a hotel overnight in order to arrive at our home early the next day. A simple call to the care home, the OPG, the selling estate agent or to the other attorney (FIL's brother) would have saved them a lot of bother. In other words, they sought no independent corroboration of the allegations in advance, and spent a great deal of public money on travel and accommodation pursuing a case which would inevitably fail due to lack of evidence. Surely this indicates a lack of due diligence and gives us grounds for a claim of wrongful arrest?

Yesterday (2 weeks after his arrest), my husband was informed that all charges against him had been dropped. This is naturally a relief, but hardly a surprise as it's been glaringly obvious that there was no case in the first place.

We now have to deal with the worrying aftermath: my husband likely losing his job and the stress caused to our young children seeing their dad taken away by a load of burly men. They still hide when the doorbell rings.

I'm sure the neighbours are still gossiping about the morning that 3 police cars pulled up right outside our house as curtains were twitching as my husband was taken away! Joking aside, the last fortnight has been absolutely awful and I feel like I've aged 10 years.

We've now got to somehow get back all our things from the police (who are at the other end of the country), and I can't imagine that'll be a quick process.

My question is: is it feasible to sue FIL's solicitors or get compensation of any kind? They hadn't even bothered to notify the OPG or the Court of Protection about the supposedly revoked EPoA or any new one they had set up.

Not only have they been negligent in their duties, wasted police time, probably lost my husband his job and tarnished his good name but, worryingly, they seem to have approached my FIL at his care home for business. They have taken instruction from a man with severe dementia to revoke the existing EPoA and create a new one, presumably in their favour, so that they could sell his flat, thus profiting from his instruction. I assume they would have expected FIL to pay for their services. Does this constitute a conflict of interest? Is this fraud on their part? FIL clearly has dementia - he can't use a phone and there is a restriction of liberty order on him to make sure he doesn't leave the care home (the DOLS was carried out a year ago), so there's no way he could have approached them to request any legal work to be carried out. From the police, my husband learned that his father even told his solicitor that the other attorney (his brother) is dead, which he is not - surely that would be indication enough of his confusion? At best the solicitors have been unprofessional, unethical and negligent; at worst, their actions appear extremely suspect.

Can we also do anything about my husband's wrongful arrest and have his police record, dna and fingerprints record deleted? Because of the nature of his work, having a police record will ruin his entire career.

Once again, any advice would be much appreciated! It's thanks to your previous advice that we managed to do everything properly in the first place and this will have almost certainly contributed to the relatively hasty speed with which the case was closed. Enaid has already acknowledged this post earlier today but I thought I'd post it again under a different heading as it's advice of a very different nature I need now!

Crisps
    Tags: None

Re: Please help! Wrongful arrest for fraud

Originally posted by ilikecrisps View Post
    Hello! This post is copied from a rather long and now inappropriately titled previous thread which I started a while ago, full details can be found here:-

In a nutshell, my husband took all proper and appropriate steps to register the Enduring POA of his father and to carry out his duties as attorney. His father has severe dementia and is a care home under a DOLS order (depravation of libery statement). My husband is jointly and severally attorney with FIL's brother, who has not wanted to get involved because of ill health.

A fortnight ago my poor husband was arrested for fraudulently using a (supposedly) revoked Power of Attorney and for selling his father's ("FIL") flat fraudulently at below the incorrectly assumed market rate.

After being rudely awoken early in the morning by 6 police officers crowding into the bedroom and then whisked off to the nearest custody centre (an hour away) by speeding police, he was detained for a whole day whilst not being offered anything to eat. He returned home at 4.30pm feeling physically ill and, as you can imagine, in a state of extreme agitation.

We couldn't believe some of things the police seized. The warrant specified the removal of evidence relating to the sale of FIL's flat but the police took various cheques from the DWP in my husband's name, his passport and his O-level, A-level and degree certificates, along with other irrelevant paperwork! They also took his work-issued computer and blackberry, which means he'll almost certainly lose his job. However, the police managed to leave behind important paperwork regarding the sale of FIL's flat.

Throughout questioning at the police station, it became apparent that the solicitor who previously acted for FIL and who were seemingly obstructive in releasing the original Enduring Power of Attorney to my husband (see previous posts) alleged that my husband had sold FIL's flat illegally, because the Enduring Power of Attorney in my husband's favour had been revoked (which we were unaware of - again, please see previous posts). The police were also trying to ascertain any links between my husband and the person who eventually purchased the flat. The flat had been on the market for nearly a year as it wasn't selling because it was in such a horrendous state and there was so little interest that the asking price had been reduced after a few months. My husband said it was clear that the questioning officer saw that he was wasting his time as there seemed to be no grounds for the charges at all.

I really can't work out why my husband was arrested (instead of voluntarily brought in for questioning). I also can't work out why the police went to all that trouble if there was clearly no grounds at all for the arrest. Three of the police officers had to travel a long way and stay in a hotel overnight in order to arrive at our home early the next day. A simple call to the care home, the OPG, the selling estate agent or to the other attorney (FIL's brother) would have saved them a lot of bother. In other words, they sought no independent corroboration of the allegations in advance, and spent a great deal of public money on travel and accommodation pursuing a case which would inevitably fail due to lack of evidence. Surely this indicates a lack of due diligence and gives us grounds for a claim of wrongful arrest?

Yesterday (2 weeks after his arrest), my husband was informed that all charges against him had been dropped. This is naturally a relief, but hardly a surprise as it's been glaringly obvious that there was no case in the first place.

We now have to deal with the worrying aftermath: my husband likely losing his job and the stress caused to our young children seeing their dad taken away by a load of burly men. They still hide when the doorbell rings.

I'm sure the neighbours are still gossiping about the morning that 3 police cars pulled up right outside our house as curtains were twitching as my husband was taken away! Joking aside, the last fortnight has been absolutely awful and I feel like I've aged 10 years.

We've now got to somehow get back all our things from the police (who are at the other end of the country), and I can't imagine that'll be a quick process.

My question is: is it feasible to sue FIL's solicitors or get compensation of any kind? They hadn't even bothered to notify the OPG or the Court of Protection about the supposedly revoked EPoA or any new one they had set up.

Not only have they been negligent in their duties, wasted police time, probably lost my husband his job and tarnished his good name but, worryingly, they seem to have approached my FIL at his care home for business. They have taken instruction from a man with severe dementia to revoke the existing EPoA and create a new one, presumably in their favour, so that they could sell his flat, thus profiting from his instruction. I assume they would have expected FIL to pay for their services. Does this constitute a conflict of interest? Is this fraud on their part? FIL clearly has dementia - he can't use a phone and there is a restriction of liberty order on him to make sure he doesn't leave the care home (the DOLS was carried out a year ago), so there's no way he could have approached them to request any legal work to be carried out. From the police, my husband learned that his father even told his solicitor that the other attorney (his brother) is dead, which he is not - surely that would be indication enough of his confusion? At best the solicitors have been unprofessional, unethical and negligent; at worst, their actions appear extremely suspect.

Can we also do anything about my husband's wrongful arrest and have his police record, dna and fingerprints record deleted? Because of the nature of his work, having a police record will ruin his entire career.

Once again, any advice would be much appreciated! It's thanks to your previous advice that we managed to do everything properly in the first place and this will have almost certainly contributed to the relatively hasty speed with which the case was closed. Enaid has already acknowledged this post earlier today but I thought I'd post it again under a different heading as it's advice of a very different nature I need now!

Crisps
    It's possible to sue (in tort, ie right the wrong done) for a malicious prosecution against the solicitors. It just depends on whether it was malicious prosecution (taking action against your husband), or whether it was proportionate. You could also ask for the Legal Ombudsman to look at the case for malicious prosecution, or some form of damages, for the invasion of privacy, the effect it had on your lives etc. You could also complain about the police action as they're only supposed to arrest a person if there is evidence of the alleged crime committed.

Comment

Re: Please help! Wrongful arrest for fraud

Originally posted by ilikecrisps View Post

Crisps
      If he (your husband) was arrested, interviewed but the charges were later dropped, this by itself anyway, is not a police record, as I understand. A police record I believe relates to a caution or conviction. A caution means there is sufficient evidence to warrant a conviction but for quick disposal, the accused accepts a caution (conditional warning). Police use charges based on evidence to take to a criminal court for a conviction. Unless it was some type of disposal (puts end to the case) before court proceedings such as a 'caution'...there is no police record, so no criminal record as far as I understand. Was your husband given a criminal record? Was there any type of formal disposal of the case? If not and the case was entirely dropped - owing to lack of evidence of fraud - there normally would be no criminal record.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X