• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlady not renewing contract, with 4 days notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlady not renewing contract, with 4 days notice

So my landlady came round today and said she didn't want to renew my contract because she doesn't like me (I wouldn't switch my contract from single tenancy to a joint tenancy mid way through my contract). It's 4 days before the end of my contract and she had given the impression that everything was fine and that the contract will be renewed, though she didn't explicitly say so and she hasn't replied to my e-mails saying so.

I was just wondering what my rights are, I can't find a new house in 4 days and I'm not going to be able to move out by the 1st especially considering the bank holiday is on Monday. She has also been walking in and out of the house willy nilly without any warning.

Any help anyone can provide would be amazing as I'm sure you can imagine this has been pretty stressful.

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Landlady not renewing contract, with 4 days notice

@Diana M

Comment

Hi

Your Landlady would have to take action through court to evict you. if you want to keep the place, would you consider haveing the other person on the tenancy.
      (I wouldn't switch my contract from single tenancy to a joint tenancy mid way through my contract)
      That maybe the reason, LLs insurance are very tight on all residence named on the CT.

What type of tenacy is it. ? House / shared house
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

It's a shared student house and I just refused to sign the new contract because I knew I would be legally liable if someone else didn't pay. This caused a lot of friction between us and she accused me of scaring the other tenants into not signing and I believe this friction is partly why she wants me out.

Thanks for replying so fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Luk390 View Post
          It's a shared student house and I just refused to sign the new contract because I knew I would be legally liable if someone else didn't pay. This caused a lot of friction between us and she accused me of scaring the other tenants into not signing
          If this is a student let is there a possibility that there may be, or needs to be, rent guarantors involved for each of you (unless you have a private income)?

Perhaps the other person is unable to provide a guarantor which is why your Landlady wants to make it a joint tenancy (so your guarantor becomes liable for both/all tenants' rent).

Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Di

Comment

Look what I've found

Is this the same Landlord who was giving you grief about the same thing last year: http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...880#post580880

Posted 5th October 2015:

Originally posted by Luk390 View Post
            My landlord came round the other day (with giving an hour notice! Annoying but not the issue) and asked the other tenants to sign a new contract putting them onto a joint tenancy. Two of the four signed but I refused saying that I didn't want to switch to a joint tenancy because I was worried I would then be liable for the other people's rent if they left early.

Well she wasn't happy about that and then said that my old contract would be the one that is enforceable and that she would sign a different contract saying that this new contract is void and unenforceable.

From my understanding she wants this contract because she is getting a loan and the underwriters want all the tenants to be on a joint contract.

So do you think I should sign the new contract and another document saying it is not valid? Also would the underwriters be annoyed with them doing this?

Obviously I am a bit worried that not signing would annoy my landlady and put me in a bit of bad situation with them and potentially have me kicked out.

If so, you seemed to have stood your ground last time so maybe you'll be able to do that again this year.

It appears her annual problem is that she doesn't have her mortgage lender's permission to let the property other than as a single tenancy. But that's her problem not yours.

Di

Comment

She wanted to do it as she wanted to remortgage the house to fund renovations on other properties I think from memory.

But she backed down in the end and I just think she doesn't want a tenant who is happy to say no to her.

So I was just trying to get some advice on how to proceed, obviously ideally I want to be out by the 1st so I can just be done with her. If that isn't possible what rights do I have and would it cost me money if I stayed longer than my contract.

Also she's just been letting herself in constantly this week without any notice despite me asking politely for some notice and it's been really stressful because I can't relax.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X