• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Smart Parking - incomplete vehicle registration entered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Parking - incomplete vehicle registration entered

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice - recently parked at a Smart Parking Car Park in Ashdown Road Kingston upon Thames, and paid for full time used (and then some!) but entered only numerics from my vehicle registration (I did not appreciate it was a ANPR car park - my fault). Subsequently received penalty notice which I contested, and it has now gone to POPLA. In anyone's experience, can I rely on POPLA to exercise some common sense that the monies were paid, copy of tickets supplied and therefore was only a mistake on my part and I didn't park illegally or commit any wrongdoing. Any help is appreciated - thank you. JAHHORSHAM
    Tags: None

Re: Smart Parking - incomplete vehicle registration entered

In short, no.

Have you already appealed ?

M1

Comment

Yes, the appeal is in with POPLA

Comment

Pity, sounds like you'll lose. You aren't obliged to pay though.

M1

Comment

Thanks for the response, M1, I'll wait until POPLA come back to me with their decision. In your opinion, though, why would I not be obliged to pay the fine? Cheers, JAHHORSHAM

Comment

Not a fine - Popla result binding on operator but not you.

But be aware that the PPC will be very persistent if the win at POPLA,
            Last edited by paulajayne; 25th August 2016, 15:05:PM. Reason: More info

Comment

So if POPLA agree with Smart Parking, is there any other arbitrator that I can approach? Thanks for your help. JAH

Comment

From POPLA website:-

What if I am not happy with the assessor’s decision?

POPLA is a one stage process and there are only two possible outcomes for an appeal brought to our service: either the appeal is allowed or it is refused. We understand that it is disappointing and even frustrating when an appeal results in an outcome that you were not hoping for, however, our role as an impartial appeals service means that quite simply, we must base our decisions upon the factual evidence presented to us. If it is clear that a procedural error has been made during the assessment of your appeal, we might review the case and make changes where we deem necessary.

Comment

Only a court can make you pay. Smart as yet, do not do court. http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Smart_Parking.html

M1

Comment

Hi JAH, just interested to know if your POPLA appeal was successful? I've got exactly the same problem as you had and I'm wondering whether to take it to a POPLA appeal or not. Thanks BB

Comment

Originally posted by BB1983 View Post
                      Hi JAH, just interested to know if your POPLA appeal was successful? I've got exactly the same problem as you had and I'm wondering whether to take it to a POPLA appeal or not. Thanks BB
                      I don't know any more than you on how this hread turned out but start your own thread and post up a sanitised copy of the PCN.

Smart are pretty poor at popla appeals.

M1

Comment

Hi BB, POPLA appeal was unsuccessful - I ended up paying the fine. In honesty, I probably wouldn't have gone that far, but the Smart Parking letter saying they rejected my appeal arrived while I was on holiday, so by the time I opened the letter, I'd missed the deadline to pay the fine at the lower level and it was a case of 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'. I went to POPLA in the hope they might apply some common sense, but no luck, I'm afraid. People say that you can refuse to pay, etc, but I just wasn't confident enough to take them on. Subsequently there was an article in one of the national papers, The Daily Mail, I think, that seemed to indicate that taking the parking company on would work, but by that time I'd already paid, so I didn't particularly look into it. Good luck, I hope you do better than me, but honestly, if I was in the situation again, I'd just pay the fine at the lower level, rather than let it increase. Best wishes, Julia

Comment

Correct in that you can just ignore POPLA. But Smart would probably backed away form court.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Julia, thanks for letting me know though. As much as it pains me I think I'll just make the payment at the lower rate having heard that, I'm pretty stubborn with things like this but I can see many wasted hours ahead with potentially a less than satisfactory outcome. It goes against all my principles to pay but I can see me being regretful in a few weeks that I didn't chose the simple and cheap solution at this point. Thanks again for your help,
                            Regards,
                            Ben

Comment

Smart parking have not taken anyone to court for the last 3 years so I would make a good appeal to POPLA and then ignore. They do seem to drop the case if a reasonable, or possibly any, defence is submitted.

Here's some information

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X