• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Discrimination against disabled employee?? Please help me :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination against disabled employee?? Please help me :(

Hi there,

I saw this forum on the internet and I just don't know who to turn to. I have ADHD and Asperger's and I work in telephone healthcare in England. I didn't declare my disabilities when I started. I have had mixed problems with them in the past and I know maybe I should have declared, but I didn't. I wanted to do the job off of my own merits and not be pitied or refused a job etc. I didn't want to be looked at differently so I didn't do it.
    I passed my initial assessment with flying colours - best in the class actually!! - and that was in June 2015. However this January I was disciplined for unprofessional behaviour - using a swegway in the office, painting nails, wearing heels. At the time I apologised and declared ADHD though not Asperger's. I said I would do better if given a second chance.
    In June I had another disciplinary, this time focussing more on my language - loud, sometimes potty-mouthed, and also quite abrasive on the phone. Cold, no warmth etc. This time I went into a lot of detail regarding ADHD and Asperger's. I was suspended 1st July pending an Occupational Health referral and despite having that three weeks ago am still suspended. I opted to see the report before it was sent to my employer and it said I was fit to return to work. The Dr that did the assessment said that I was insightful and intelligent and we both made some suggestions as to reasonable adjustments that could be made to help me with my job. To reiterate, he said I was fit to return to work immediately on the form. That was at the beginning of August. I now have an investigation meeting next Monday into:
    * Why I didn't declare my disability when I started (I have told my employer four times now that I do not have a legal obligation to do so, and explained my reasons above for not doing so)
    * A serious incident involving a confused patient where the wrong questions were asked, in May 2016
    * A lack of clinical understanding as to the importance of medical questions on my part, resulting in irrelevant and incorrect questions being asked

It really feels like they are trying their best to get rid of me. I am losing sleep and stressing over this a lot. I contacted my employer the day I was suspended and HR department said, quote, "In the job that you was doing..." I said "The job I WAS doing?" as in, am I not doing it any more? That's what it sounded like. Furthermore, I emailed the Team Manager that I have an investigation with on Monday explaining just how awful this whole process was making me feel, and that went on for a good two paragraphs. At the end of the email I also asked briefly for some documentation. The reply I got was literally a reply only to my request for paperwork saying "please find the attached" and nothing more. It has made me feel absolutely minuscule.

I am sorry for the big rant. I am so worried and scared as to what to do. I like my job though not particularly the employer after all this, but I would be devastated if I was fired. Is there anything I can do?
    Side note: I declared my disability in a closed hearing between two team managers, myself and my colleague who accompanied me. It was then disclosed without my permission or knowledge to numerous other members of staff, including managers of different teams that were otherwise uninvolved, to HR (which I understand but still without any knowledge) to another team manager and a member of a training team for a separate department.

Is there anything I can do? I am so worried. Sorry for the essay!!
    Thank you,
    Zach
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X