• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Died intestate and a beneficiary has no fixed abode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Died intestate and a beneficiary has no fixed abode

Hi

My father-in-law passed away earlier this year intestate. He had 3 children and we proceeded to ensure the estate was split equally between the three. However, we've now hit a problem. The middle son (my brother-in-law) has no fixed abode, no bank account and limited ID. It's difficult to locate him at any time as he flits between prison and he also has mental health issues. My husband has been given grant of representation, but it now appears we can't do anything until his brother gets himself a bank account and somewhere to live (which could take forever). We only want to split the money equally 3 ways - is there any way we can proceed in sorting the estate, without having to involve the brother at this stage?
    Tags: None

Re: Died intestate and a beneficiary has no fixed abode

Hi and welcome.

If your husband opened a separate account to deal with the estate, the monies could be left there , or he could open a separate account to keep this money safe until your brother in law is in a position to accept his share
    Has b-i-l tried obtaining a basic account (possibly at the branch your husband has the estate account) ( http://www.choose.net/money/guide/fe...-accounts.html)
    You say your b-i-l has mental health problems. If he is not competent it might be possible to pay the money into court, but IMO that would have to be a last resort.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by des8; 16th August 2016, 13:30:PM. Reason: delete double post

Comment

Thanks des8

We were thinking of setting up a separate account to keep the money safe for him. However, we've been told b-i-l needs to sign paperwork agreeing to everything and at this point in time, we are having trouble getting hold of him. He was due to set up a basic account last week, but decided not to bother

Comment

depending on how much money is in the estate then setting up a discrectionary trust to provide him "extra comforts".

Comment

Thank you seduraed

Comment

If the beneficiary refuses to cooperate the executor still has to ensure his legacy is kept safe.
            If he refuses to sign or accept the benefit the easier option IMO is to keep it in a separate bank account.
            It does not have to be in his name, and a bank account is safer than under the bed.

I trust you will look into possible pitfalls if you consider setting up a discretionary trust.

Comment

If you do decide on a trust get professional advice. If you set up a bank account look at a high interest account.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X