• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt collectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt collectors

Hi all, just registered for legal beagles, and I would like to ask if anyone out there has any experience of dealing with a document, purported to come from the original creditor, but in fact looks as if the dca have written it themselves to make it appear that they can use it to chase you for a debt, surely this amounts to fraud, and if as I suspect they do this on a regular basis how are they still allowed to carry on, any explanations or comments appreciated.

Dgee
    Tags: None

Re: Debt collectors

What makes you think that the debt collectors have written it themselves?
    Who are the original creditor
    Who are the debt collectors?
    What is the document ?

If it is a notice of assignment it is perfectly ok for the new owner to write to you telling you that they have bought the debt and taken on the rights and responsibilities blah blah blah

Comment

Originally posted by dgee View Post
      Hi all, just registered for legal beagles, and I would like to ask if anyone out there has any experience of dealing with a document, purported to come from the original creditor, but in fact looks as if the dca have written it themselves to make it appear that they can use it to chase you for a debt, surely this amounts to fraud, and if as I suspect they do this on a regular basis how are they still allowed to carry on, any explanations or comments appreciated.Dgee
      I remember seeing this in action in my local authority days but then I suspect that was the other way round, the local authority used DCA headed notepaper to give the impression that the debt was now being considered by the DCA and that they should promptly contact the council to resolve the matter. I believe it was quite effective in moving things along with the ability to pass it directly to the DCA when there is no response. I guess that must have been with the agreement of both sides. Even debt collectors can be trained in NLP nowadays and this is just one ruse to move things along.
      Last edited by Kati; 12th August 2016, 16:52:PM. Reason: fix quote x

Comment

I am agreed with Snoopy1948's views that there might be some agreement between the creditor and the DCA and for this reason, they are using their headed notepaper. For this reason, it does not amount to fraud. If they are using abusive or threatening language in the letter then you can take action against them by filing the matter before FTC and they can be punished with fine for violating Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Source : debtpro.co

Comment

This wouldn't be for a parking charge by any chance?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X