• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

urgent help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent help needed

I have a credit card debt of £300 now £420 with court cost, i disputed the date and said it was statute barred and they have entirely disagreed with the claim of statute barred, they said Last payment to the account were on 07/06/2010 and started proceedings against me on 23/06/2016 they have sent a N9A form I wanted to Know is does Statute barred start on the day i last paid or a month later ? I've been to CAB for advice and they said they had taken me to court 2 weeks before statute barred i am unemployed because of ill health, and worried how to pay, the solicitors now asking for medical records on my condition

no Judgement has been entered against me yet and i have 14 days to respond from the letter i received from the solicitors, what i was trying to say the debt is now statute Barred but they put in the claim just before now its statute barred does it make any difference as I have not admitted to any of the debt ?

thank you
    Tags: None

Re: urgent help needed

Hello, I've tagged [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] for assistance.

Just to confirm do you mean they issued proceedings on 23/5/2016? If they issued proceedings after 7/6 then it would appear statute barred.

When did you acknowledge the claim?

I wouldn't provide them with medical records, that is confidential information and they shouldn't require you pass them over in order to come to an agreement.

Have you requested a copy of the terms of the contract, did you make the last payment as they have suggested and if so, why plead statute barred when its not?

Can you post up the Particulars of Claim?

I would suggest a CCA request you can find out more information here http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...y-of-Agreement
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

yes rob I will post info tomorrow as its just gone 12pm bedtime CAB told me it will be statute barred, yes I did make a payment on 07/06/2010, yes legal proceedings were issued on 23/06/2016

Comment

I've been to CAB for advice and they said they had taken me to court 2 weeks before statute barred
        doesn't seem to square with

CAB told me it will be statute barred
        I am guessing there was a NOT missed out of the last sentence (understandable posting after midnight!)

Statute barred timescale starts from the point you failed to pay, so usually a month after your last payment.

R0b's point about whether you have asked them to supply a copy of your CCA agreement is important

Comment

Originally posted by stemac123 View Post
          I have a credit card debt of £300 now £420 with court cost, i disputed the date and said it was statute barred and they have entirely disagreed with the claim of statute barred, they said Last payment to the account were on 07/06/2010 and started proceedings against me on 23/06/2016 they have sent a N9A form I wanted to Know is does Statute barred start on the day i last paid or a month later ? I've been to CAB for advice and they said they had taken me to court 2 weeks before statute barred i am unemployed because of ill health, and worried how to pay, the solicitors now asking for medical records on my condition

no Judgement has been entered against me yet and i have 14 days to respond from the letter i received from the solicitors, what i was trying to say the debt is now statute Barred but they put in the claim just before now its statute barred does it make any difference as I have not admitted to any of the debt ?

thank you
          Did you acknowledged service of the claim and intention to defend in full?
          Please post a copy of the letter you have received after removing your name and address and any claim or reference numbers.

Have you checked your credit files for this account? Noddle is free online.
          Who is the claimant and what solicitors?

nem

Comment

hello Nemesis sorry i am not sure , what you mean by acknowledged service of the claim, all i have done is ring the restons solicitors up asking for more time extra 2 weeks to find out where i stand
            i have attached the letter for you to read :-) sorry yes i did put in a defence claim, and claimant is Capital one credit card sorry as pointed out it is Cabot
            Attached Files
            Last edited by stemac123; 11th August 2016, 14:28:PM.

Comment

@nemesis45

Per other posters, my guess is that the claimant is disputing the accrued date of action.

@stemac123
              The claimant appears to be Cabot, not Cap1?
              Last edited by charitynjw; 11th August 2016, 14:07:PM.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                @nemesis45

Per other posters, my guess is that the claimant is disputing the accrued date of action.

@stemac123
                yes it is Cabot

Comment

yes it is Cabot
                  OK.

What they, or their sols, appear to be saying is that you paid on 7th June 2010, so the earliest date that they (Cap1) would have been aware of the breach would have been approx 1 month later, when you failed to pay the next (& subsequent) payments.
                  If this is the case, the '6-year clock' would not have started ticking until earliest July 2010.
                  As they issued the claim in June 2016, they are saying it is (just) within the 6 years.
                  If that is accepted by the court, & your submitted defence totally relies on SB, your defence will fail.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

hello Nemesis sorry i am not sure , what you mean by acknowledged service of the claim, all i have done is ring the restons solicitors up asking for more time extra 2 weeks to find out where i stand
                    i have attached the letter for you to read :-) sorry yes i did put in a defence claim, and claimant is Capital one credit card sorry as pointed out it is Cabot
                    Hi if I'm not mistaken the letter states last payment on 07/06/2010 claim issued 23/06/2010 16 days difference??

nem

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                      @nemesis45

@stemac123
                      I can see your reasoning [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION] but that letter is very confusingly worded what Restons meant to say and what the have written should be disputed an it clearly states the date of the last payment which clearly over six year to the date of issue,

I would push it personally stick to this as Restons has mentioned they are referring to the default date as the cause of action.
                      That is my opinion.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                        Hi if I'm not mistaken the letter states last payment on 07/06/2010 claim issued 23/06/2010 16 days difference??

nem
                        hello Nem yes thats right... i checked with the bank i did pay on that day 7th but it was only for £3, so i am thinking i defaulted some time before it but cant be sure the letter doesn't make it clear to me and thank you charitynjw for your response :-)

Comment

hello Nem yes thats right... i checked with the bank i did pay on that day 7th but it was only for £3, so i am thinking i defaulted some time before it but cant be sure the letter doesn't make it clear to me and thank you charitynjw for your response :-)
                          Hi,

Have you checked credit reference files for this debt it would be worthwhile I think, you can check Noddle free online.
                          I still think the acknowledged date of last payment is what you should rely on as it what Restons say is within 6 years not the default date.

nem

Comment

Surely the claim will say when the account was defaulted.

I read the letter as saying
                            Because the claim wasnt issued until 23/6/2016 no CCJ will have been issued. This seems to be in response to a claim that no ccj was issued ( see first line of letter from solicitors)

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony72 View Post
                              Surely the claim will say when the account was defaulted.

I read the letter as saying
                              Because the claim wasnt issued until 23/6/2016 no CCJ will have been issued. This seems to be in response to a claim that no ccj was issued ( see first line of letter from solicitors)
                              No not always the phrase "A default notice was issued and not complied with" is frequently used in POC's.

The meaning of Restons statement is that as the claim was only issued at that time no judgment could be made in that timescale.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X