• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice/help needed with Debenhams/Newday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice/help needed with Debenhams/Newday

Hi,

I've recently been sorting out our finances and noticed an old debenhams store card on my partners credit check. According to his credit report he opened this account in August 2006 with an opening balance of £94. He only used it once when he first opened the account and hasn't used it since. Looking at his records he's been paying this account off since then. We applied for SAR to find out what has been happening as he has had no statements for years on this account, he moved in with me in May 2007 and forgot to change his address, so we do not know when the statements stopped. New day have been aware of his current address since May 2015 and hasn't sent a single statement until today which coincided with the SAR arriving,

We received the SAR today and I have just been going through it and this is where we need the help please.
    The account had a credit limit of £400 with no ppi requested on the application form, and Joe had been paying the minimum amount each month, looking at the statements everything was ok until October 2008 when an additional transaction was added to the account. This 1st month it was listed as Insurance premium application and was £8.95. At this point the actual account balance was only £28.15. The next month this transaction read Debenhams Plcc Personal Accident and has done since and varied in amounts to a maximum of £9.84 a month. This was obviously increasing his balance every month.

Working my way through the statements they have not sent us the ones between June 2011 and August 2014, these are the ones I was interested in as looking at his credit reports and bank account he was paying money each month yet his account was showing that no money had been taken off his balance and it was increasing taking over his credit limit.

The long and short of it is he didn't take out this insurance, they have no evidence within the SAR of an application for it. The missing statements July 2011 to July 2014 are troubling as these are the ones that show what caused him to go over his limit and the charges added, it's also somewhere within these statements that the insurance stops.

Also within his statements (they were all doubled sided) is on the one dated Dec 2010 the second side is actually a print out of a statement from my store card dated January 2016.

There is something so wrong with what's happened just not sure where to begin with it.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Jo
    Tags: None

Re: Advice/help needed with Debenhams/Newday

Morning,

I've tagged [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] for some assistance when they have some time.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Morning,

Thank you, it's a right pickle

Comment

Good evening,

Which company is stated to be the owner of the account on the credit reference files?

I think you need to make a formal complaint to the creditor at least to director level, this sounds like very bad even incompetent management of the accounts especially with your statement on one side of Joe's.

nem

Comment

Good evening and thanks for replying.

The owner is Newday Ltd (Debenhams). I've been looking and trying to think of which way to go with the complaint. There appear to be numerous issues with it and was wondering which to start with.

I've also done some digging and found reference to Debenhams automatically adding this insurance to store card accounts after 2 years which people were unaware of, which is the time lapse of them doing it to this account. Is that legal, could see nothing in the terms to state this would happen. It is also around the time Santander took over the GE Money

At the rate Joe was paying the account would have been cleared by the end of 2008. Since then he's just been paying for this insurance and the interest charged on it. Somewhere within the missing SAR statements the insurance was stopped. Looking at his credit reference account and the balance shown on there it appears to have been stopped in August 2013, working it out he has paid approx £680 for this insurance plus the interest charged which was 29.9% apr. There is an outstanding balance still on the account of £230.34, all of which has been accrued by this insurance.

Also within the statements there is a late payment and returned payment charge, I've spoken to the bank and New Day were the ones who cancelled the direct debit before reinstating it the next month. This has also place an arrears marker on his credit report, adversely affecting his credit rating.

Then there is the data protection issue with my statement appearing on the reverse of Joe's.

There is also the fact that despite having our address for over a year no statements have been sent to this address until we requested the SAR

I want to make sure all areas are addressed and none are overlooked as the whole thing is a right mess.

Any help/advice to pointing in the right direction would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
          Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Jojo71 View Post
            Good evening and thanks for replying.

The owner is Newday Ltd (Debenhams). I've been looking and trying to think of which way to go with the complaint. There appear to be numerous issues with it and was wondering which to start with.

I've also done some digging and found reference to Debenhams automatically adding this insurance to store card accounts after 2 years which people were unaware of, which is the time lapse of them doing it to this account. Is that legal, could see nothing in the terms to state this would happen. It is also around the time Santander took over the GE Money

At the rate Joe was paying the account would have been cleared by the end of 2008. Since then he's just been paying for this insurance and the interest charged on it. Somewhere within the missing SAR statements the insurance was stopped. Looking at his credit reference account and the balance shown on there it appears to have been stopped in August 2013, working it out he has paid approx £680 for this insurance plus the interest charged which was 29.9% apr. There is an outstanding balance still on the account of £230.34, all of which has been accrued by this insurance.

Also within the statements there is a late payment and returned payment charge, I've spoken to the bank and New Day were the ones who cancelled the direct debit before reinstating it the next month. This has also place an arrears marker on his credit report, adversely affecting his credit rating.

Then there is the data protection issue with my statement appearing on the reverse of Joe's.

There is also the fact that despite having our address for over a year no statements have been sent to this address until we requested the SAR

I want to make sure all areas are addressed and none are overlooked as the whole thing is a right mess.

Any help/advice to pointing in the right direction would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
            Jo
            Good morning Jo,

A formal complaint to Newday is I think the way forward.

Address to James Corcorran The CEO,

nem

Comment

Morning nem,

thanks for his name. I'll get drafting one, is there any one area that is worse than the others or should I just go with the total mismanagement of the account? I know that it's wrong just not sure of the legalities.

Do I say what I want in this letter or do I wait to see what they offer?

Many thanks
              Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Jojo71 View Post
                Morning nem,

thanks for his name. I'll get drafting one, is there any one area that is worse than the others or should I just go with the total mismanagement of the account? I know that it's wrong just not sure of the legalities.

Do I say what I want in this letter or do I wait to see what they offer?

Many thanks
                Jo
                Total mismanagement Jo.

Layout all the points and see what they come back with.

nem

Comment

Many thanks nem, will let you know how I get on

Jo

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X