• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The Dreaded Civil Enforcement Ltd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dreaded Civil Enforcement Ltd

I moved house some years ago, wrote to DVLA telling them, but stupidly didnt send my V5 so they ignored it. My mistake.
    Consequently my Road Tax reminder went to the wrong house in January 2015. Again, due to my error
    In March 2015 I went out of the house and my car was clamped for no road tax.
    I paid immediately the clamp release of £100, taxed it at £180 and paid the fine of £98.00. I have the bank statement copies and credit card copies. A month later I was chased by a debt company and found there was another £95 fine to pay. I didnt argue, just paid it.

Last week I applied for a loan to pay off my daughters credit card. It was rejected and after investigation I find that I have a CCJ at Northampton Court for £249.00 dated 13.4.2016 against the old address that I left in March 2014. I have to assume that it is to do with all of the above, as I have no information at all apart from the amount.

Ive writen to Civil Enforcement Ltd giving them this infomation, but having read some of the comments on here and on the internet elsewhere it's likely that I may not get a reply from them and will be sitting with a CCJ on my credit record

Looking on the negative side, whats the opinion here. Am I likely to have to pay £255 to the court have the CCJ wiped? Is this how it (simply put) works?

Many thanks for your input. I just dont understand how they can take someone to court in April 2016 using an address other than one that was registered with them a year earlier

Thanks in advance for your input
    Tags: None

Re: The Dreaded Civil Enforcement Ltd

CEL are a private parking firm and nothing to do with road tax or other tax penalties.

It sounds very much like any correspondence went to the wrong address.

It costs £255 to get it set aside which if successful you get awarded against CEL but that's not guaranteed. http://legalbeagles.info/library/how...-judgment-ccj/

A ccj on record for 6 years may be quite significant so the £255 fee could be worth it even if you are the one paying it.

M1

Comment

I'm assuming then if it refers to a parking offence I should have originally known about it in the way of a parking ticket. I've never had one. The annoying thing is that I am only assuming what this refers to, I dont have any hard facts to even mount a defence. So to even go to the courts, I have no information at all apart from the amount. This means then, I assume, that if Civil Enforcement Ltd ignore me completely I can do nothing as I cant mount a claim to write it off without any information to back it up

Comment

If you have had no information at all then the claim was never served and a set aside is pretty much a shoe in. It needs to be done without delay though. Read the link above.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
          If you have had no information at all then the claim was never served and a set aside is pretty much a shoe in. It needs to be done without delay though. Read the link above.

M1
          Thanks
          I guess that means me paying the £255 court fees then :-(

Comment

Sadly. I suspect you don't qualify for fee remission. https://www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/fee-remission.aspx

M1

Comment

No .... It's just annoying that I pay for someone elses possible error. I dont even know how to word a claim as I dont know what the fine relates to as its clearly not what I originally thought :-(

Comment

Will Northampton not give the details of the case?

Comment

Only the amount and by who

Comment

Thanks for your comments thus far.

Well to update as far as I can get:

I know from Northammpton Crown Court that whatever it was happened on 4 February 2015
                    It was for £140 and applied for as "outstanding debt and damage" by Civil Enforcements and CCJ given 13th April 2016 (now stands at £249.00 inc court fees etc)

I've written to Civil Enforcements asking for details. I guess I will have to wait a reasobale amount of time for a reply, but if they dont reply my only course of action will be to apply to the court to have it overturned on th basis I have not been served and I dont know what it is. I've already been emailed the forms by the court.

I dont suppose there is any procedure for recovering the Court monies of £255 from Civil Enforcements should it be proved that they incorrectly carried out this procedure

Comment

There is. Costs are normally awarded to the winning party but in such circumstances only if the other side behaved somewhat unreasonably and were at fault somehow.

M1

Comment

One more request for help which is probably blindingly obvious but I dont want to get it wrong.

I wrote to Civil Enforcement on 1 August asking for details of what the offence was. No reply.
                        So having given them time to reply I now am putting in an N244 application to have the CCJ overturned.

I just wanted to check, on the form it says:

1. Claim number - I assume this will be a number I get given when I ring the court to pay the £255
                        2. Claimants name - As its me thats making the application, is that my name and ref or the original claimant (Civil Enforcement)
                        3. Defendants name - related to #2

Sorry for the stupid question, just dont want the forms rejected for a simple error.#

Also, does this forum also have to be supported by a Witness Statement, a Draft Order, and a Draft Defence?

Many thanks for the help so far
                        Last edited by Stravinskykof; 16th August 2016, 14:17:PM.

Comment

1. Yes.
                          2. CEL.
                          3. You.

Check 2&3 with the court but that's how i'd do it. Also check the email address for the court and the info required in the subject line.

They only accept payments until 15.45 as i recall.

M1

Comment

Thanks again.
                            Ive done 3, giving details as to what and why, then more or less would have to repeat it all in 10, but then saw the check boxes for the attached witness statement, and on here at http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...lication-notes it talks about a statement, draft order and draft defence which is difficult as I dont know what i am defending :-)
                            It's probably simple, but to the layman its like treading on glass trying to get it right :-)

Comment

I would just put see witness statement in 10 then do a witness statement which would be the story from when you found out and the steps taken.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X