• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unauthorised day off = gross misconduct :-(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unauthorised day off = gross misconduct :-(

Originally posted by m1nna View Post
    I have worked for the firm for just over 2 years now (1yr temp then perm).
    I have never received a contract of employment or any policies which relate to holidays/absences/disciplinary ect.

I asked for a 1 day holiday (2.5 weeks in advance) which was refused, I then filled in a form for 'time out of work' (1 week in advance). I knew this would be unpaid & that I would be 'managed' on my return to work. I have taken time off for appointments before in the same way & this has only been classed an absence & unpaid. So I didn’t think it would be any different & neither was I advised that it may be any different.
    Hi m1nna

Have you received any warnings (verbal or written)?

@Anthony72.........lol, crossed posts.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony72 View Post
      I am assuming that you have not had any previous disciplinary actions for any reason?

Was this for the relatively recent Eid celebration? If it was, did you tell your employer what it was for?
      Nope, never had any disciplinary.
      Yes, it was for the recent Eid celebration & yes I did inform them.

Fair enough it they don't have to grant me a day-off for a religious holiday but I just wasn't aware it would lead to a disciplinary.

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Hi m1nna

Have you received any warnings (verbal or written)?

@Anthony72.........lol, crossed posts.
      No, no warnings as of yet. Hopefully that's all it will amount to.

Comment

Hi

Under the Equality Act you cannot be discriminated against on the grounds of your religion. My only question is why did you not seek authorisation in the first instance. In any normal circumstance any reasonable employer would treat on an informal basis. Going down the disciplinary route is a little bit drastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomoneynoproblem View Post
          Hi

Under the Equality Act you cannot be discriminated against on the grounds of your religion. My only question is why did you not seek authorisation in the first instance. In any normal circumstance any reasonable employer would treat on an informal basis. Going down the disciplinary route is a little bit drastic.
          I did though, I asked for a 1 day holiday (2.5 weeks in advance) which was refused (limited amount of people off the same time), I then filled in a form for 'time out of work' (1 week in advance). I knew this would be unpaid & that I would be 'managed' on my return to work. I have taken time off for appointments before in the same way & this has only been classed an absence & unpaid. So I didn’t think it would be any different & neither was I advised that it may be any different.

Comment

Perhaps the leading authority for absenteeism is International Sports Co Ltd v Thompson* [1980] IRLR 340 EAT.

This gives an indication of how an ET/EAT would view absence due to conduct (as opposed to capacity, eg illness).

It pretty well suggests that, if there is little or no 'previous', the correct course of action by a reasonable employer would be a warning.

Unfortunately, I can't find a link to the case.

From Thompsons solicitors
            http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/ltext/l1310004.htm

Instead, the employer should tell the employee what level of attendance they now expect, the period within which it should be achieved and that dismissal may follow if there is no sufficient improvement (International Sports Co Ltd v Thomson* 1980, IRLR 340; and Lynock v Cereal Packaging Ltd 1988, ICR 670).
            The situation should be monitored to see whether absence is reduced to a reasonable level. Further warnings might be appropriate in borderline cases.

*I've seen the name spelt both ways.
            Last edited by charitynjw; 24th July 2016, 23:24:PM. Reason: More info
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              Lol!

They can still use it; it would be for the Tribunal to attempt to look behind the employer's defence.
              In public law, Charity, it has to be the real reason for it otherwise the defence will simply not stand. So, it's a question of evidence - if this were not the case any employer could say that. Even if the legitimate aim were a successful it still has to be a proportionate means of legitimising that aim.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                In public law, Charity, it has to be the real reason for it otherwise the defence will simply not stand. So, it's a question of evidence - if this were not the case any employer could say that. Even if the legitimate aim were a successful it still has to be a proportionate means of legitimising that aim.
                Agreed, Openlaw.

Hence post #20
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Update: Had the disciplinary hearing yesterday. Received my first written warning.

Thanks for all your help guys. God bless y'all.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X