• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA out of court settlement letter, urgent help required...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA out of court settlement letter, urgent help required...

Recently my cousin asked me if he could use my empty unused driveway for his Sorn car for a period of time. I obliged and thought nothing of it.

A couple of weeks ago i had the roofers around, who requested the use of the driveway to put a skip for a week. So the car was moved to the public road for around 1 week or so. During this period someone had reported it and the clampers came out and clamped it. As i felt it was my fault i actually paid the fine for the removal of the clamp, and i also paid to get the car taxed (as you has to).

Now my relative received a unlicensed vehicle letter from the DVLA demanding £445 as a out of court settlement, which must be paid within the next 6 days from today. This is a shocker and i cannot afford this.

I think the car was sorn for 2 years, it was always kept off road except when it was taken for the last mot and when i stupidly put it on the road for a week, Is this fine based on the car being untaxed for 2 years? so they think it was on the road for 2 years therefore giving an extortionate fine?. If so, i have CCTV footage as proof the car was offroad from my camera, other than the week or so it wasn't.

I called the DVLA enforcement number, having a hard to actually getting through to someone. When i did, they said they cannot discuss it on the phone and it must be sent in writing. As i say there's 6 days till the settlement has to be paid or it goes to court. My relative received the letter 3 days ago!.

Any help or advice appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA out of court settlement letter, urgent help required...

Hi jaisunny, how did this issue resolve itself? I too have also received an out of court settlement letter requesing £560!!!! I had sorned my vehicle but unfortunately I had parked it half on my driveway and half on a public path that goes across the bottom of my driveway. I'm in the wrong, I know but I didn't appreciate the nuance of the Law re public highway. But £560 and a threat of a £2500 court fine is OTT to say the least. Ive appealed in writing twice to no avail. Am considering going to court to challenge the OOC settlement at the very least.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X