• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice for a MCOL 2nd Claimant or file a new claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a MCOL 2nd Claimant or file a new claim

Hi all,

Will try to keep the narrative brief:
    I have raised a small claim against a blinds manufacturer and installer company on MCOL, this was raised as single person claim however I have listed both myself and spouse in the particulars of claim as claimants. The company has noted this back to me by email and saying that the claim may be invalid.

What would be the best action to take now
    • raise a n244 application to the court to include my spouse as a claimant
    • raise a n244 application to the court to amend the particulars of claim and only have myself listed as the claimant, my spouse would then act as a witness to the claim
    • withdraw the claim and resubmit a new one either as a single or joint
    • do nothing and perhaps the court will order that my spouse is added as a new party to the proceedings

Appreciate any advice, thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Advice for a MCOL 2nd Claimant or file a new claim

I think we'd need to see the particulars of claim submitted. Is there any reason why both of you need to be claimants ? eg. did you pay half each ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      I think we'd need to see the particulars of claim submitted. Is there any reason why both of you need to be claimants ? eg. did you pay half each ?
      I guess no other reason other than it is our house that the blinds are for and we were both present during the negotiation. I paid the deposit from my account.

The company, after 8 weeks of waiting had put the order on hold (no reason stated), and we only found this out after them missing the installation date, They then started a conversation about a new price from us. We then realised that they had never sent us a contract and then after days of trying to agree a new price, with no detail from them we cancelled the order. We are trying to get the deposit back which is what the claim is for as the company is refusing to return it as they are stating the cancellation was after the 14 days. They also say that they will counter claim against us for the whole price - but not seen anything from them yet.

I don't want to get so far down the road to find out that the claim was invalid and I will have to start it all again.

Comment

Okay you might need to amend but it does really depend what your particulars of claim says. Claimant should really be the person that paid the deposit ( so you ).
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

to amend them is that through the n244 route and paying the £255 ? If so, I think I will withdraw the claim and start a new one with only me

Comment

That could cause difficulties. When is the defence due to be filed ?

Would you be able to post up your Particulars of Claim so we can see if you NEED to amend, or if the defendants are just being a pain.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

difficulties ?

We served the papers last week and they acknowledged this Monday, I am assuming that they will take the full time to prepare their case.

The particulars of claim are 4 pages in length here is the front and last page I block out our names etc.,
              Attached Files

Comment

That's really a witness statement AND a particulars of claim (the final section) at the same time.

Comment

ok great, but back to my original question - any thoughts on should I amend the claim, withdraw and start over or do nothing and see what happens?

Comment

so I suggested that when they file their defence that we would adjust the documents to have me listed as the sole claimant, in the particulars of claim - I got this response in return

Unfortunately it will not be possible to deal with the claim as you suggest. If you do not agree to amend the Claim to include Dxxxx as a joint Claimant it could invalidate your claim, I would urge you to take your own advice on this. We are happy to consent to such an application if it is made before we file our Defence, we will not consent to any application to amend your Claim after our Defence is filed.

You do not have a right to amend any documents at the stage of filing a Directions Questionnaire without the permission of the Court, and if we do not consent to such an application for consent it is likely to cost you more (as the court fee for the application is higher) and there is less chance you will obtain the permission of the Court.

In any event if you do not agree to Dxxxx being added to the Claim as a joint Claimant we will in any event join them to the Claim as a Third Party joint Defendant to our Counterclaim. This will not alter your own potentially defective claim, but will secure our own position.

It would seem to be in the interests of all parties for Dxxxx to be added to the Claim as a joint Claimant at this stage rather than later. Please advise whether you agree to join Dxxxx as a joint Claimant now or if your position remains unchanged.

Starting to feel I am way out of my depth now ....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X