• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP Boots Shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP Boots Shoplifting

I am 18 years of age and today I have been identified for shoplifting today in Boots (my first offence). The security guard took me in his office and asked for my name and address. He said that I would pay for the stolen items (around £15), however he also gave me an RLP form which I'm worried that I would have to pay a large fine (due to viewing these scenarios online.) Obviously, it is said on the website that I should ignore all correspondence from RLP, however I am really worried as I do not want my name on the record - especially for when I need to get a job. I felt I was greatly misinformed by the security guard today and I would really appreciate your help as to what I should do when I get the letter from RLP. I also don't want to tell my parents... do you know whether the letter will be addressed to just me or the whole household?
    I thank you in advance for your help!
    Tags: None

Re: RLP Boots Shoplifting

Hi and welcome.

If the police were not involved your name should not be on any list to which third parties have access.
    You will not have a criminal record.
    Regarding RLP, they cannot fine you. In the UK the courts levy fines, RLP make outrageous demands.
    Rlp will write a series of letters to you, couched in pseudo legal languagerequiring you to pay them a sum of money for losses supposedly caused to Boots by your actions.
    The letters will threaten court action, and become increasingly threatening in tone, and possibly even use RED ink.
    Ignore them all.
    The only letters not to be ignored are genuine court papers.
    RLP no longer advise their clients to initiate court action after they lost heavily.
    (see here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...h-and-the-lies)

All letters should be addressed solely to you.
    If they attempt to communicate any of this matter to others they will be in contravention of Data Protection Act 1998, and as you are no longer a minor that includes to your parents.

On the other hand generally I would advise young people to let their parents know.
    It is a very minor misdemeanour, not the Great Train Robbery. and I would hope they would be understanding and supportive.
    You are going to receive a whole series of letters, that may go on for 9 months or so.
    Trying to keep it a secret for so long, rushing to get the post first..... you might find it very stressful.
    An early confession will relieve you of all that.
    You can always refer them to this thread, if it helps.

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck and get on with your life.
    Don't let RLP ruin it!

Comment

Thank you so much! Regarding my parents, I don't think they will be understanding in the slightest :/ I have read a few posts and they have sent back a letter to RLP saying "this person does not live at this address anymore." Do you think that would be effective? And if not, do you have any other methods in which I could prevent letters being sent to my house address? For example, email them to say that I have moved house?

Many thanks for your help!

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Hi and welcome.

If the police were not involved your name should not be on any list to which third parties have access.
      You will not have a criminal record.
      Regarding RLP, they cannot fine you. In the UK the courts levy fines, RLP make outrageous demands.
      Rlp will write a series of letters to you, couched in pseudo legal languagerequiring you to pay them a sum of money for losses supposedly caused to Boots by your actions.
      The letters will threaten court action, and become increasingly threatening in tone, and possibly even use RED ink.
      Ignore them all.
      The only letters not to be ignored are genuine court papers.
      RLP no longer advise their clients to initiate court action after they lost heavily.
      (see here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...h-and-the-lies)

All letters should be addressed solely to you.
      If they attempt to communicate any of this matter to others they will be in contravention of Data Protection Act 1998, and as you are no longer a minor that includes to your parents.

On the other hand generally I would advise young people to let their parents know.
      It is a very minor misdemeanour, not the Great Train Robbery. and I would hope they would be understanding and supportive.
      You are going to receive a whole series of letters, that may go on for 9 months or so.
      Trying to keep it a secret for so long, rushing to get the post first..... you might find it very stressful.
      An early confession will relieve you of all that.
      You can always refer them to this thread, if it helps.

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck and get on with your life.
      Don't let RLP ruin it!

Comment

Originally posted by bubblypop View Post
        Thank you so much! Regarding my parents, I don't think they will be understanding in the slightest :/ I have read a few posts and they have sent back a letter to RLP saying "this person does not live at this address anymore." Do you think that would be effective? And if not, do you have any other methods in which I could prevent letters being sent to my house address? For example, email them to say that I have moved house?

Many thanks for your help!
        IMO it is not worth trying to mislead them.
        I am sure others have tried it, and RLP must be aware of this attempt to mislead them.
        They would be surely suspicious if you told them you had moved, but did not give them a forwarding address.
        All it will do is convince them you are worried about something.
        That makes you more vulnerable, and they will purse you with added vigour.
        I would just ignore them.

I'm sorry you don't feel you can confide in your parents.
        Yes, they will probably be upset that their darling daughter has behaved like many others, and possibly read the riot act.
        And, yes you will feel awkward and ashamed and guilty and all sorts of emotional upset.
        But that will probably be the end of it..... quicker & better than living on tenter hooks IMO.

PS you paid for the items? and took them with you when you left the store?

Comment

Oh ok! No, they told me to leave the items so I didn't end up paying for them. Was that wrong?

Comment

No that's fine.
            It was just your phrase " He said that I would pay for the stolen items (around £15" prompted the clarification.
            Sometimes peeps are forced to pay for items, but then rush out without them, or even leave behind items they had already purchased. This then gives the shopper a lever!

Comment

Oh I see ! Sorry for the confusion! What do you mean by a "lever"?

Comment

Paying for items but leaving them behind:
                It gives the shopper rights over the retailer, whose agent (RLP) is making unjustified demands about paying for imagined losses caused to the retailer. After all, if you paid for items but left them behind, they are yours and no loss to retailer.
                Besides which , they have a responsibility to look after them, and return them to you on demand.
                Embarrassing for retailer!

Comment

Thank you for the clarification! For an explanation to my parents, what do I say happens now to me? I mean, I ignore the letters sent from RLP and I was banned from entering the shop again, but may I ask what else happens to me now? Sorry for all the questions!

Comment

Nothing else happens to you.
                    Boots don't want you back in that shop for a year...... but so what!
                    RLP will send a series of begging letters, which you ignore.
                    The police weren't involved, so you will hear nothing from them.
                    The sun will continue to rise and all's well with the world.
                    Just get on with your life.
                    I doubt you will be so foolish again,,, an embarrassing lesson learnt.
                    Good luck

Comment

Thank you so much for all your time and help!! A huge burden has been lifted.

Comment

Nothing else happens to you.
                        Boots don't want you back in that shop for a year...... but so what!
                        RLP will send a series of begging letters, which you ignore.
                        The police weren't involved, so you will hear nothing from them.
                        The sun will continue to rise and all's well with the world.
                        Just get on with your life.
                        I doubt you will be so foolish again,,, an embarrassing lesson learnt.
                        Good luck

Simple there are more cheaper shops to shop in than the over priced Boots, as bad as Marks & Expensive (Spencer) = rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblypop View Post
                          I am 18 years of age and today I have been identified for shoplifting today in Boots (my first offence). The security guard took me in his office and asked for my name and address. He said that I would pay for the stolen items (around £15), however he also gave me an RLP form which I'm worried that I would have to pay a large fine (due to viewing these scenarios online.) Obviously, it is said on the website that I should ignore all correspondence from RLP, however I am really worried as I do not want my name on the record - especially for when I need to get a job. I felt I was greatly misinformed by the security guard today and I would really appreciate your help as to what I should do when I get the letter from RLP. I also don't want to tell my parents... do you know whether the letter will be addressed to just me or the whole household?
                          I thank you in advance for your help!
                          if you're female, there should be female robots, I mean security guards. Listen you made a mistake but banned from all Boots stores for a year is rather harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                            if you're female, there should be female robots, I mean security guards. Listen you made a mistake but banned from all Boots stores for a year is rather harsh.
                            IMO it is Boots shooting themselves in the foot.
                            A banned person (if they comply) will find other (better?) retailers and never return.
                            Wish they'd ban my OH !!

Comment

IMO it is Boots shooting themselves in the foot.
                              A banned person (if they comply) will find other (better?) retailers and never return.
                              Wish they'd ban my OH !!
                              Yeh exactly! I don't even know if I'm banned for a year too! The letter said that I am no longer allowed to enter that store (I thought it meant for life?) they said if I ignored it, they will not hesitate to take Court Action against it as it is trespassing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X