• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help - Cancelled Gym membership being chased by Hartlands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Cancelled Gym membership being chased by Hartlands

Hi All,

I was a member at thegymgroup and cancelled my membership, which was £25/month; I had also received a letter from the gym informing me of the same. A few months later I changed my bank (using the 7 day service) and it appears the bank transferred across my cancelled gym membership which then activated the direct debit.

this resulted in a payment being made to the gym, which I called my bank to recall, as far as I was aware this membership was cancelled and no payment was due. I then sent an email to the gym informing them of this.

I did not hear anything back from the gym and now I have received a claim from hartlands for £100 [£25 + their cut].

Could someone please advise the best course of action here?

1. I no longer have a current account with my old bank, so not sure how I will get the information from them?
    2. New bank have confirmed this direct debit was given to them by old bank when transferring
    3. Currently looking for my first property, so need this resolved asap.

Thank you all!

JohnBob
    Tags: None

Re: Help - Cancelled Gym membership being chased by Hartlands

Silly question but have you sent them a copy of the letter received from the gym confirming your cancellation of membership? It sounds like they might be trying it on but your strating point should be sending a copy of that letter confirming you cancelled and you switched banks which is when the DD was mistakenly transferred.

Keep a record of the letters they have sent and the number of phonecalls after you have given them notice, if they persist you could claim harrassment.

It might also be best to notify the gym too and see if they will do something about it.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I have moved houses and believe I have thrown away that letter since I thought it was resolved.

I sent email to the gym directly and they did not respond a few months later I have recieved this letter from DCA...

Comment

A direct debit has to be called for - ie. by the gym. Maybe when the DD was transferred by the switching it sent out a notification to the Gym and they did zero checks. Ring the gym and speak to the manager - or go in ( if you can) to sort out what's going on with your account.

I'm sure there's another case involving Harlands... might be worth a read

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...ntract-dispute
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I had an issue with Harlands similar to oyurs where I gave notice to terminate and they chased me but not heard anything for over 6 months so I presume they have dropped it.

In your case, you could ask the bank for a copy of statements between those months you did not pay but they will likely charge you for it. That should prove no payment was made and back up your theory or if you go into the branch wiht your account number and sort code they may be helpful and print them off without any charge.

they can be quite harrassing with their letters but if you are certain you didn't pay then just get a copy of your bank statement as proof.

Did they say what the £100 was for, have they broken it down for you? Have they said in any way you were in contract all too?

You could offer the gym £25 at best if you really want rid of it but its up to you whether you want to stick to your guns.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

You could use a Subject Access Request (SAR) but it takes 40 days and i don't think it will be that useful with regards your bank. Possibly a SAR on the gym for their records on you, if they are still operating ?

Is there still a tie in with their contract?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by johnbob View Post

I did not hear anything back from the gym and now I have received a claim from hartlands for £100 [£25 + their cut].
              Can you type out what it says on the claim form?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X