• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED!!** PRA Group Letter Before Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRA Group Letter Before Claim

Thanks for the replies and advice [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION] and [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION].

So very sorry to hear about your friend nem.

I am luckily still (just) in time to file for an extension, or a straight off defence. Having already sent letters by recorded delivery requesting all the necessary information following PRA's Letter Before Claim, and having no proper responses, am I OK to just go straight in and file a defence? Having looked at the standard guidance files I have concocted the following - could I ask you to please read through and give any guidance on changes required etc? I would like to submit it via the online service today if possible. My calculations take me to a Sunday deadline for responding, but I don't want to leave it until the last minute - plus I am stressing about this so want to get it sent off. I know I need to clear off some bold type - will do that before sending, just my tablet isn't great on editing. Thanks.

1: I received the claim numbered xxxxxxxxx from the Northampton County Court Business Centre on 1st August 2016.

2: Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3: This claim appears to be for a Credit Card agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4: The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

5: The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from MBNA to Aktiv Kapital Portfolio AS on 21/3/2013, then assigned to PRA Group (UK) Ltd on 31/12/14. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of these assignments.

6: It is denied that MBNA served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

7: On the 1st of July 2016, following receipt of a Letter Before Action received on 30th June 2016, The Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to PRA Group (UK) Limited. It was requested the Claimant provide copies of The Original Credit Agreement, The Default Notice, The Termination Notice, The Notice of Assignment & Statements of Account.

8: PRA Group (UK) Limitedhas to date only sent a few copies of monthly statements from MBNA covering the period 25/02/12 - 08/01/13. There is no mention of PRA Group (UK) Limited on these documents. The letter accompanying these documents is dated 28th July 2016, it should be noted that this is the day following the issue of the County Court Claim on 27th July 2016. This letter states that the Claimants "are awaiting further documentation to complete your request". The Claimants failure to supply adequate information as requested leaves The Defendant unable to properly assess their position with regards the claim.

9: On the 1st July 2016 the Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to PRA Group (UK) Limited pursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee. On 6th July 2016 the Defendant received a letter from PRA Group (UK) Limited, returning the £1 fee, stating it was not required to action the request, and stating that they had "requested the required information."

10: The Claimant has thus failed to comply with [s77 (1) / s 78 (1)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [s77 (4) / s 78 (6)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

11: Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

12: The Defendant requests the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for the Defendant to fully plead the case else the Claim should stand struck out.

13: In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants the Defendant will then be in a position to amend her defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

14: It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed …………………………………………

Dated .................................................. ....

Comment

Hi [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] - Robert Marr is given as the legal representative on the form. Is that significant in any way?

Can I request, if this does proceed to a hearing, that it is transferred to a court closer to my address??

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeplessnights View Post
        Hi @nemesis45 - Robert Marr is given as the legal representative on the form. Is that significant in any way?

Can I request, if this does proceed to a hearing, that it is transferred to a court closer to my address??
        Hi,
        The claim will be automatically transferred to your local county court.
        Marr has headed up many so called legal departments for a number of debt purchasers.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          Hi,
          The claim will be automatically transferred to your local county court.
          Marr has headed up many so called legal departments for a number of debt purchasers.

nem
          Thanks for the clarification re the transfer to a local court [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION].

Do you think my defence as set out in the previous post to the one about Marr is acceptable? I would like to get it sorted later today if possible.

Thanks.

Comment

Can anyone please confirm that this is OK as a defence? Any advice much appreciated. I need to reply to the court by Sunday. I am aware that I need to remove some bold type - just my tablet is tricky to work on. Thanks.

1: I received the claim numbered Xxxxxxx from the Northampton County Court Business Centre on 1st August 2016.

2: Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3: This claim appears to be for a Credit Card agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4: The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

5: The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from MBNA to Aktiv Kapital Portfolio AS on 21/3/2013, then assigned to PRA Group (UK) Ltd on 31/12/14. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of these assignments.

6: It is denied that MBNA served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

7: On the 1st of July 2016, following receipt of a Letter Before Action received on 30th June 2016, I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to PRA Group (UK) Limited. I requested the Claimant provide copies of The Original Credit Agreement, The Default Notice, The Termination Notice, The Notice of Assignment & Statements of Account.

8: PRA Group (UK) Limitedhas to date only sent a few copies of statements from MBNA covering the period 25/02/12 - 08/01/13. There is no mention of PRA Group (UK) Limited on these documents. The letter accompanying these documents is dated 28th July 2016, it should be noted that this is the day following the issue of the County Court Claim on 27th July 2016. This letter states that the Claimants "are awaiting further documentation to complete your request". The Claimants failure to supply adequate information as requested leaves me unable to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

9: On the 1st July 2016 I sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to PRA Group (UK) Limited pursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee. On 6th July 2016 I received a letter from PRA Group (UK) Limited, returning the £1 fee, stating it was not required to action my request, and stating that they had "requested the required information."

10: The Claimant has thus failed to comply with [s77 (1) / s 78 (1)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [s77 (4) / s 78 (6)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

11: Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

12: I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.

13: In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

14: It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

Signed …………………………………………

Last edited by Sleeplessnights; 12th August 2016, 20:49:PM. Reason: obscure sensitive information

Comment

I believe this is for a credit card, so s78 CCA. (Paras 9 & 10 of the defence).
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for the replies and advice @charitynjw and @nemesis45.

So very sorry to hear about your friend nem.

I am luckily still (just) in time to file for an extension, or a straight off defence. Having already sent letters by recorded delivery requesting all the necessary information following PRA's Letter Before Claim, and having no proper responses, am I OK to just go straight in and file a defence? Having looked at the standard guidance files I have concocted the following - could I ask you to please read through and give any guidance on changes required etc? I would like to submit it via the online service today if possible. My calculations take me to a Sunday deadline for responding, but I don't want to leave it until the last minute - plus I am stressing about this so want to get it sent off. I know I need to clear off some bold type - will do that before sending, just my tablet isn't great on editing. Thanks.

1: I received the claim numbered xxxxxxxxx from the Northampton County Court Business Centre on 1st August 2016.

7: On the 1st of July 2016, following receipt of a Letter Before Action received on 30th June 2016, The Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to PRA Group (UK) Limited. It was requested the Claimant provide copies of The Original Credit Agreement, The Default Notice, The Termination Notice, The Notice of Assignment & Statements of Account.

8: PRA Group (UK) Limitedhas to date only sent a few copies of monthly statements from MBNA covering the period 25/02/12 - 08/01/13. There is no mention of PRA Group (UK) Limited on these documents. The letter accompanying these documents is dated 28th July 2016, it should be noted that this is the day following the issue of the County Court Claim on 27th July 2016. This letter states that the Claimants "are awaiting further documentation to complete your request". The Claimants failure to supply adequate information as requested leaves The Defendant unable to properly assess their position with regards the claim.

9: On the 1st July 2016 the Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to PRA Group (UK) Limited pursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee. On 6th July 2016 the Defendant received a letter from PRA Group (UK) Limited, returning the £1 fee, stating it was not required to action the request, and stating that they had "requested the required information."

12: The Defendant requests the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for the Defendant to fully plead the case else the Claim should stand struck out.

13: In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants the Defendant will then be in a position to amend her defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

Statement of Truth

Signed …………………………………………

Good morning,

That's fine! section 78 CCA '74 for a credit card account.

nem

Comment

Thanks again for your help [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION]. I have tried to send my defence via the courts website - which kept coming up with a technical error reading when I tried to submit it. I sent a message to the help desk via email - an automated reply gave another email address to send submissions etc to, so I sent a copy of the Defence via email. To play safe I asked for the extension on time allowed to respond, in case they don't acknowledge that I submitted my defence within the 14 day time frame. What a lovely way to spend Saturday evening!

Anyway, I hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend. I will post an update as soon as I know what is happening. I cannot thank you all enough for the kind help, and am just grateful I found legal beagles website, or I don't know what I would have done.

Comment

Thanks again for your help @nemesis45 and @charitynjw. I have tried to send my defence via the courts website - which kept coming up with a technical error reading when I tried to submit it. I sent a message to the help desk via email - an automated reply gave another email address to send submissions etc to, so I sent a copy of the Defence via email. To play safe I asked for the extension on time allowed to respond, in case they don't acknowledge that I submitted my defence within the 14 day time frame. What a lovely way to spend Saturday evening!

Anyway, I hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend. I will post an update as soon as I know what is happening. I cannot thank you all enough for the kind help, and am just grateful I found legal beagles website, or I don't know what I would have done.
                    Who wont accept your defence was on time?

The court would note the " technical error " and the date on the defence.

nem

Comment

Well I have received an email back first thing this morning from the court saying they have received my defence and will file it today.

Hi [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION], I was just so worried that I might end up having to physically post a paper copy in to the court before they would accept it, that's why I asked for the extension to 28 days to respond.The last thing I want is a judgement against me.

This is all new and somewhat overwhelming.

I will will periodically check online (if the system works) and hopefully will be able to see what is happening with this?

Again many thanks for your help.

Comment

Well I have received an email back first thing this morning from the court saying they have received my defence and will file it today.

Hi @nemesis45, I was just so worried that I might end up having to physically post a paper copy in to the court before they would accept it, that's why I asked for the extension to 28 days to respond.The last thing I want is a judgement against me.

This is all new and somewhat overwhelming.

I will will periodically check online (if the system works) and hopefully will be able to see what is happening with this?

Again many thanks for your help.
                        Good morning,
                        I'm pleased to have been able to help.

Note: If you receive any correspondence from PRA/Solicitors stating they have put the case " On Hold " it's not a suspension of the court process unless a formal extension of time has been agreed by both parties and notified by you to the court so any court papers should still be dealt with within the set time limits.

Please come back if there's anything you're not sure of.

nem

Comment

I just received a letter from PRA informing me that they have decided to discontinue the case they had started against me. I still haven't received any more paperwork as requested on your advice. I checked on the courts website and they received the discontinuance notice. A huge thank you to [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION], [MENTION=86454]freshfield[/MENTION], [MENTION=49370]Kati[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION] for your help, I was so at sea with how to proceed with this, I don't know what I would have done without your kind help.

Does this now mean that they cannot file a case against me again in the future? Or does the threat of this loom over me? Surely if they were owners of a debt they should have the paperwork (I have none relating to it) - though from what I am reading it seems they just take a chance and file hoping that people do not defend themselves.

I hadn't fully appreciated how stressed by all this I was, until I spent the last hour or so in tears with relief.

I hope that perhaps someone in a similar situation reading this will gain some hope that all is not lost when those court papers drop through their door.

Thanks once again for all the help - so relieved I found this site.

Comment

well done

Comment

Awww Congratulations xx
                              Debt is like any other trap, easy enough to get into, but hard enough to get out of.

It doesn't matter where your journey begins, so long as you begin it...

recte agens confido

~~~~~

Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

I can be emailed if you need my help loading pictures/documents to your thread. My email address is Kati@legalbeagles.info
                              But please include a link to your thread so I know who you are.

Specialist advice can be sought via our sister site JustBeagle

Comment

I just received a letter from PRA informing me that they have decided to discontinue the case they had started against me. I still haven't received any more paperwork as requested on your advice. I checked on the courts website and they received the discontinuance notice. A huge thank you to [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION], [MENTION=86454]freshfield[/MENTION], [MENTION=49370]Kati[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION] for your help, I was so at sea with how to proceed with this, I don't know what I would have done without your kind help.

Does this now mean that they cannot file a case against me again in the future? Or does the threat of this loom over me? Surely if they were owners of a debt they should have the paperwork (I have none relating to it) - though from what I am reading it seems they just take a chance and file hoping that people do not defend themselves.

I hadn't fully appreciated how stressed by all this I was, until I spent the last hour or so in tears with relief.

I hope that perhaps someone in a similar situation reading this will gain some hope that all is not lost when those court papers drop through their door.

Thanks once again for all the help - so relieved I found this site.
                                That is great news. Well done for sticking up for yourself with this

That should be the end of it now. If they did ever find the documents and decide to try another claim they would have some major mountains to climb over for bringing a second claim based on the same cause of action after they have discontinued post-defence. Really though they just don't bother even trying. Sometimes people get a couple random debt collection letters but ignoring them seems to work well enough.

If you ever have any other issues then feel free to come back here xxx

Congrats.
                                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X