• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

He's making it impossible for me to leave - help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's making it impossible for me to leave - help please

Hi All,

I wont go through all the details but after being together for 13 years my partner told me on years eve by text that our relationship was over - nasty man! We bought our house together as joint tenants in 2003 and the mortgage is in both names. He sold his interest to me for £1.00 in 2008 when he declared himself bankrupt. We are still living in the same house together. It is awful and I need to get out. We both know that neither of us can afford to stay and pay the mortgage on our own. He cannot afford to buy me out. I have been asking him to agree to sell the house for a few months now but he wont. He cant give me any reason, he just refuses. I need to move on and feel trapped. Every day that goes by I hate even more than the last. He has admitted he doesn't want to be on his own and I've told him he should have thought about that before he did what he did. It is too late now and I want out as soon as I can.

The financial situation for me is getting harder. Although he gives me money each week towards the bills, it is not enough so I sit by while he carries on spending and I have no money at all. I've asked for more but he won't give it to me. Another reason I want out. I have a financial noose around my neck and would be financially better off if the house was sold. There is approximately £25,000.00 equity in the house but we verbally agreed he would take £5000.00 and I would take the rest. The reason being in short, that over the years I have kept a note of all the money I have given him that I know I won't get back and it amounts to just over £42000.00 - yes I know. Included in that is all of the deposit for the house which at the time was £11,400.00 which I paid myself and he didn't contribute to.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I now know how stupid I have been. I am a little frightened of him so I choose my moments and what I say very carefully but it's not getting me anywhere.

Can anyone please give me some encouragement that there is something I can do.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: He's making it impossible for me to leave - help please

Gosh Lynne, that is an horrible situation. Look, I am sure one of the clever beagles will come on with some sound advice soon but….If you bought him out for a quid then I assume the house is in your name so,and I know it might be hard, just tell him you are putting it up for sale and you are giving him plenty of warning. If he doesn’t like it he can lump it. By the way, you have not been stupid. We might all do the same in your situation so stop beating yourself up and move on. Let's see what the experts have to say.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
    ~ Anonymous

Comment

If its a joint mortgage you are still joint lenders he cannot transfer his liability with a pound transferring the ownership or am I wrong.
      To sell the house would he still have to sign the transfer ? have you checked land registry to determine who is on the deeds as owner and if there are any charging orders against the property.

A few questions which may help others offer some advice

Comment

Was the bankruptcy trustee or receiver made aware of this "sale"?

nem

Comment

Thank you for your encouragement paws. I really need it

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Wales01man. I haven't checked the land registry. I will try and do it. I am fairly sure there are no charging orders

- - - Updated - - -

The "sale" was done through the receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            Was the bankruptcy trustee or receiver made aware of this "sale"?

nem

1. This is the note on the register. I have no idea what this means and wonder if anyone can interpret it for me please?

(01.12.2008) RESTRICTION: No disposition by a sole proprietor of the
              registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital
              money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the
              court.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X