• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed please ref Cabot Financial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed please ref Cabot Financial

Hi everyone, I hope someone here is able to advise me on this.
    Yesterday my ex partner gave me a letter that had been delivered to her address from The County Court Money Claims Centre. The letter contained a notice of application for attachment of earnings order from Cabot Financial. There are no details of what the debt is for but I am fairly sure it was for a credit card that I stopped paying for a number of years ago at an address I lived in before I met my ex partner. I split with my ex partner 13 months ago and moved out then yet they sent this letter to her address 2 days ago. Is there anyway I can find out exactly what the debt is in relation to and can I fight the attachment of earnings application?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Brynn.
    Tags: None

Re: Help needed please ref Cabot Financial

Originally posted by Brynn2112 View Post
    Hi everyone, I hope someone here is able to advise me on this.
    Yesterday my ex partner gave me a letter that had been delivered to her address from The County Court Money Claims Centre. The letter contained a notice of application for attachment of earnings order from Cabot Financial. There are no details of what the debt is for but I am fairly sure it was for a credit card that I stopped paying for a number of years ago at an address I lived in before I met my ex partner. I split with my ex partner 13 months ago and moved out then yet they sent this letter to her address 2 days ago. Is there anyway I can find out exactly what the debt is in relation to and can I fight the attachment of earnings application?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Brynn.
    Looks like they issued a claim to an old address and obtained judgment in default against you. If you think you may have a defence (could the debt have been statute barred at the time the claim was issued?), you could apply to have the judgment set aside.

You can request a suspended attachment of earnings by making an installment offer using this form: http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hm...r/n056-eng.pdf Under item 10, you can tick the box requesting a suspended order and give a reason. The most common reason is that an AoE order could affect your job, as many employers are not keen on employees who have CCJs. Creditors tend to accept the suspended order because they'd rather you had a job so you can pay them. You'll need to fill in your financial details to back up your repayment offer.

If you go down the set aside route then, if there's no CCJ, there's no AoE order, but you still need to deal with it before they approach your employer directly.

Comment

Hi freshfield, thanks for your response. Do you know how I can find out if the debt was statute barred at the time of the claim? If I have to go down the route of asking for the claim to be set aside if it wasn't barred do I do this with the court or with Cabot Financial?
      Many thanks in advance.
      Brynn2112.

Comment

Hi freshfield, thanks for your response. Do you know how I can find out if the debt was statute barred at the time of the claim?
        You'd need a period of at least six years without any payments or written acknowledgment before the claim was issued.
        If I have to go down the route of asking for the claim to be set aside if it wasn't barred do I do this with the court or with Cabot Financial?
        Many thanks in advance.
        Brynn2112.
        Even if it was barred, you'd still have to apply for set aside on those grounds or on any other grounds you may have to dispute the debt, for example issues with the credit agreement.

A set aside application has to be submitted to the court using Form N244 and a £255 fee is payable for the application, however, it is always advisable to start by writing to the creditor (Cabot Financial) asking to consent to the set aside before submitting your application. If they don't consent, then you submit the application together with a draft defence and witness statement. See: http://legalbeagles.info/library/how...-judgment-ccj/

Bear in mind the creditor can contact your employer directly to set up the AoE order so you still need to return your N56 requesting a suspended AoE.

Comment

The other argument for set aside is if the claim was made by the instructions of Cabot Financial UK, they don't have authorisation to conduct regulated activities and so they would have committed a criminal offence therefore judgment set aside and claim dismissed.

A technical argument but a very relevant point to make.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Once again thank you for your advice Rob I will call the court tomorrow to try to get information regarding what the judgement is against and take it from there.
            Many thanks
            Brynn2112
            Last edited by Brynn2112; 27th June 2016, 16:34:PM. Reason: Wrong name entered

Comment

Another point to consider is that CPR 13.2 mandates the Court to set aside a Judgment entered in circumstances where the conditions in CPR 12 were not met.

To put in to plain English, if the Claim was issued on the wrong address then the time for filing the acknowledgment of service hasn't run, and thus Judgment shouldn't have been entered. I would sugest that there may well be a way of over turning the judgment here, and whats more when faced with an application it is not uncommon for the Claimant to consent to the judgment being set aside.

Just had the same happen with Hoist Portfolio today
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thank you pt2537, this is all very alien to me. Would you know the best way to try to get this order set aside on these grounds? Do I contact the court that the letter came from or do I contact Cabot Financial?
                Many thanks in advance
                Brynn2112

Comment

You would need to make an application for setting aside the judgment for the reasons above and attach a draft defence to show you have a reasonable prospect of successfully defending the case. The cost of doing so is £255 for the application fee, and possibly summary judgment at the same time on the basis that by issuing a claim, they have committed a criminal offence and the courts cannot give judgment which was done unlawfully.
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                    You would need to make an application for setting aside the judgment for the reasons above and attach a draft defence to show you have a reasonable prospect of successfully defending the case. The cost of doing so is £255 for the application fee, and possibly summary judgment at the same time on the basis that by issuing a claim, they have committed a criminal offence and the courts cannot give judgment which was done unlawfully.
                    I ont think a defence would be needed if under CPR 13.2, there is no need to show a good prospect of success, its mandatory to set aside under that heading
                    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                      I ont think a defence would be needed if under CPR 13.2, there is no need to show a good prospect of success, its mandatory to set aside under that heading
                      Of course you are right 13.2 is mandatory but if Cabot say that they took reasonable steps to ascertain his last known address by way of electoral roll or whatever means, then it might be dangerous just to rely on that point - unless you can be absolutely certain that they issued it under the same address details as was on the credit card and took no steps.

Best to cover all bases than just rely on one and if that is dismissed you have no fall back. But sure, if you think he has 100% chance of getting a mandatory set aside then by all means he can just rely on that. I would personally think it would be better to rely on the 13.2 and 13.3 in that he did not receive the court documents but he still has a valid defence just in case, but that's my opinion.
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanks for your comments Rob and pt2537. But how do I go about doing all of this and who should I contact first?. I don't even know how to find out what the original debt is for.Sorry but I've never had to do anything like this before.
                        Thanks in advance.
                        Brynn2112
                        Last edited by Brynn2112; 28th June 2016, 15:09:PM. Reason: Missing info.

Comment

Contact the court, try to get as much information as possible and ask them to email or send out copies of the claim and judgment to you so you have that to hand. Information you will require initially might include

- Claim number (but that will be on the claim form and judgment if sent out)
                          - name of the Claimant
                          - when the claim was issued and to what address
                          - how much the claim was for and whether the same amount was given in judgment

Once you have got that information, you could write to the Claimant and their solicitors if you know their details informing them of your intention to set aside the judgment on the grounds mentioned above, they can consent to the application or if not then you will make the application.

Your first priority is to contact the court though and get the information,
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

That's great, thanks Rob.
                            Brynn2112

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X