• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

That referendum ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That referendum ...

I remember life before the Common Market.

Being in the Outer 7 (EFTA) and trying to get into the inner 6 (EC)
    But de Gaulle always saying "Non" because he was concerned about us importing American influence.
    Great concerns about immigration (NO BLACKS/ NO IRISH/ NO DOGS) and "rivers of blood" speeches
    Some Police prepared to work on hunches and "encourage" confessions
    Out of work service men following WW2
    Tramps calling regularly at my parents for "tea and a wad"
    In the main only the wealthy having access to higher education.
    A make do and mend attitude, partly as a hangover from the war, but also due to shortages and correspondingly high prices forwhat goods were available.
    People living in prefabs for years after the prefabs life expectancy because of chronic housing shortage.

I don't put the improvements down to EEC, but neither do I look at the past through rose tinted spectacles

Edit (just so you don't think I have a chip on my shoulder!): and I had a happy youth, with relatively comfortably off parents.
    I went to university in Portugal in thhe early 60s so had the benefit (?) of an unusual (at that time) further education

Comment

To be segregated &/or divided just makes for a greater risk of hostilities on a much greater magnitude................human beings is what we are, all of us, the rest we can sort out.

What is wrong with being a part of & having a say in the biggest, most wealthy, productive continent in the world ?

What a mixed bag we British are, we can not change that & never will, we can only manage it it for the future.

Comment

I won’t be voting until late tomorrow as I need to paint a fence in case we go back to lead based stuff!
        deGaulle was just miffed because he was not treated as a head of state by the allied leaders especially Churchill. -because he wasn’t one. He was anti everyone! Some of the foreign agents that had fought to liberate France were given as little as a couple of hours to get out of the country when he swanned back like some sort of grand liberator. Complete Tos**r.
        Ah damn, I am going off on one again!:sorry:

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
        ~ Anonymous

Comment

You might find this interesting.

66.1% 65.8% 65.7% 71.1% 58.1%
          65.1% 65.5% 64.7% 63.8% 57.6%
          61.4% 61.3% 62.6% 60.8% 62.9%
          59.4% 59.2% 61.6% 58.2% 68%
          71.4% 71.4% 73.5% 71.3% 67.1%
          77.7% 78% 79.7% 75.5% 69.8%
          75.3% 75.4% 78.9% 75.1% 67%
          72.7% 72.5% 76.1% 72.7% 72.9%
          76% 75.9% 79.4% 76.8% 67.7%
          72.8% 72.6% 76.6% 74.8% 67.7%
          78.8% 79% 80% 79% 69.9%
          72% 71.4% 77.4% 74.1% 76.6%
          75.8% 75.9% 79% 76% 66.1%
          77.1% 77% 80.1% 77.6% 71.7%
          78.7% 78.9% 82.6% 78.1% 65.9%
          76.8% 76.9% 79.6% 75.1% 74.1%
          82.6% 82.7% 84.4% 81.2% 79.9%
          83.9% 84.4% 84.8% 80.9% 77.4%
          72.8% 73.4% 75.7% 69% 67.4%

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
          ~ Anonymous

Comment

Well even after an evening of late telly news updates on the matter, I still plump for a 52% vote in favour of leave ... And I like the comments about having a 'rose tinted spectacle' view of things because that's a human trait, especially for us over 60s. But change is change and perfectly normal, even if we cannot live with it. I only hope that regardless of the result tomorrow, no one regrets the direction in which the majority voted to go.

But then, there's always wine .... :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy1948 View Post
              Well even after an evening of late telly news updates on the matter, I still plump for a 52% vote in favour of leave ... And I like the comments about having a 'rose tinted spectacle' view of things because that's a human trait, especially for us over 60s. But change is change and perfectly normal, even if we cannot live with it. I only hope that regardless of the result tomorrow, no one regrets the direction in which the majority voted to go.

But then, there's always wine .... :tinysmile_twink_t2:
              Only if they don't slap import duty on it!
              Attached Files

~ Anonymous

Comment

For what it is worth my view is a lot of people will talk of change, want change but be scared to vote for it. Cameron is cleverly saying stay in a reformed EU knowing full well it is another claim he will never be able to fulfil, probable blame the failure on either a little known clause somewhere deep in a contract or the previous government signing our rights away and they are trying to put the situation right which they will do if they have another term. Maybe I am cynical but I can see us in a few years time in a country run more by the money men, with less home grown industry and everybody claiming they voted out when they really bottled it on the day. The EU have done some good and the good they have done is some of the things that the government would want the right to veto in a reformed Europe. The argument about giving them money for them to give us back seems short sighted it gives me the impression that at some point we will give and they will decide not to give back, It would be different if we only gave what was needed and kept and distributed ourselves what they would have distributed back to us. Some of it just sounds like clever accounting by the money men,and lets be honest, most of the members of this forum are here due to the clever accounting of the money men. The complete truth is whether we are part of Europe or not whoever makes and applies the rules need to grow a pair and actually enforce them and maybe life would be truly better for everyone.

Comment

I am expecting a narrow win for Brexit - guessing 53% Leave and 46% Remain.

Comment

Bigger is better ? well on the other hand what about the bigger they are the harder they fall ?

Comment

50.7% remain; 49.03% leave !!!

Comment

I don't know what the split will be but I predict a close win for remain. That's what the market is predicting and you know what they say about always follow the money.

Comment

All this 'in & out'

Whichever way it goes, & looking at the politicians most actively involved, will we find that we, Joe Public, are s:censored:d*?

(* I wrote 'satisfied' (honest!)...........bl**dy predictive text again!}

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I still think Remain will storm it.....

( hoping,...... )
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Well, now then, now then lol

Comment

Great result which has given us just what the country needs ie division and years of economic uncertainty.

Still one thing we do know for sure is that we can be confident in the knowledge that our summer holidays will cost us more now the pound has plummeted in value.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X