• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

That referendum ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: That referendum ...

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
    The article is wrong. It says it is to stop Brexit when what it actually is doing is to argue that Parliament must vote to legitimise the vote rather than the PM using prerogative powers to trigger article 50. To be honest, it will be interesting whether they win or lose or whether the ruling would be appealed.....
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hope the person or persons taking the action pay all costs if they lose

Comment

Even though I voted leave I do really think there are people behind the scenes that are trying to find a way out without losing face. I personally feel this government will be remembered for constantly blaming others and convincing everyone that they have made the emperor some nice new clothes. I think Cameron was only going to stay this term because he didn't have either the previous Labour government or the coalition to blame for anything if he stayed to long, but of course he doesn't have to worry about any of that now the excuses will be for others.

Comment

Cameron left because he could not see how leaving Europe could work. Had he stayed he would be remembered as the PM who ruined the economy. The majority of the people voted to leave Europe and they would never accept that this could have contributed to the economy crashing.
          In fact there are some who are now implying that all this forecasting gloom and doom will be the catalyst that leads to the UK’s ruin and not leaving Europe!
          I totally agree that we now have no choice but to invoke article 50 as this is a democratic country and the majority voted to leave.
          So what are the options.
          I have taken the following information from Numbeo (www.numbeo.com)
          If we go for the Danish option it is worth bearing these figures in mind.
          Consumer Prices in United Kingdom are 14.16% lower than in Denmark
          Consumer Prices Including Rent in United Kingdom are 10.92% lower than in Denmark
          Rent Prices in United Kingdom are 2.19% lower than in Denmark
          Restaurant Prices in United Kingdom are 17.48%lower than in Denmark
          Groceries Prices in United Kingdom are 10.90%lower than in Denmark
          Local Purchasing Power in United Kingdom is 18.07%lower than in Denmark

And if we look at Norway -

Consumer Prices in United Kingdom are 29.82% lower than in Norway
          Consumer Prices Including Rent in United Kingdom are 25.80% lower than in Norway
          Rent Prices in United Kingdom are 14.17% lower than in Norway
          Restaurant Prices in United Kingdom are 29.13% lower than in Norway
          Groceries Prices in United Kingdom are 38.32%lower than in Norway
          Local Purchasing Power in United Kingdom is 4.29%lower than in Norway

I have friends living in, and have been to both countries and can tell you these comparisons are fairly accurate.
          Neither option is exactly ideal.
          So with employment prospects dropping many will struggle. Even those on benefits will have to bear in mind that billions in direct taxation will be lost to the treasury so no money will be available to balance out the soaring cost of living. But there is no need to take my word for it. It is easy to ignore the IMF or economists. Just wait and see.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
          ~ Anonymous

Comment

But that is a simplistic view as it does not even mention that the UK median salary is $12339 against Norway $19300 and Sweden $18630 (gallup survey 2013).
            For Denmark Numbeo show average monthly disposable salaries £2323: uk £15017.

So it ain't surprising their prices are higher!

Comment

Originally posted by PAWS View Post
              Cameron left because he could not see how leaving Europe could work. Had he stayed he would be remembered as the PM who ruined the economy. The majority of the people voted to leave Europe and they would never accept that this could have contributed to the economy crashing.
              In fact there are some who are now implying that all this forecasting gloom and doom will be the catalyst that leads to the UK’s ruin and not leaving Europe!
              I totally agree that we now have no choice but to invoke article 50 as this is a democratic country and the majority voted to leave.
              So what are the options.
              I have taken the following information from Numbeo (www.numbeo.com)
              If we go for the Danish option it is worth bearing these figures in mind.
              Consumer Prices in United Kingdom are 14.16% lower than in Denmark
              Consumer Prices Including Rent in United Kingdom are 10.92% lower than in Denmark
              Rent Prices in United Kingdom are 2.19% lower than in Denmark
              Restaurant Prices in United Kingdom are 17.48%lower than in Denmark
              Groceries Prices in United Kingdom are 10.90%lower than in Denmark
              Local Purchasing Power in United Kingdom is 18.07%lower than in Denmark

And if we look at Norway -

Consumer Prices in United Kingdom are 29.82% lower than in Norway
              Consumer Prices Including Rent in United Kingdom are 25.80% lower than in Norway
              Rent Prices in United Kingdom are 14.17% lower than in Norway
              Restaurant Prices in United Kingdom are 29.13% lower than in Norway
              Groceries Prices in United Kingdom are 38.32%lower than in Norway
              Local Purchasing Power in United Kingdom is 4.29%lower than in Norway

I have friends living in, and have been to both countries and can tell you these comparisons are fairly accurate.
              Neither option is exactly ideal.
              So with employment prospects dropping many will struggle. Even those on benefits will have to bear in mind that billions in direct taxation will be lost to the treasury so no money will be available to balance out the soaring cost of living. But there is no need to take my word for it. It is easy to ignore the IMF or economists. Just wait and see.
              That's as good a reason as any for activating Article 50 NOW as any we'll see.
              We have friends in Switzerland one is banker of some considerable experience and knowledge he tells me Britain has made the best decision for it's long term economic future which he sees as me more stable and more attractive to both foreign and domestic investors.
              The Swiss are no longer seeking membership of EU.

nem

Comment

Although I do not agree with leaving the EU I do agree with you that it should be done ASAP because we are just in limbo at the moment. I can see your point and reasoning for looking to Switzerland Nem but I have a real problem with that country. Although mostly service (banking) it does trade well with the EU so definitely a good model ….however…..
                It’s attitude to migration and immigrants is draconian, unless you are a Nazi with a bag of looted gold! Its economy is propped up with syphoned funds and unlike the banking systems of EU regulated countries will not question the dubious origins of any capital transferred into its coffers. I think if our banking industry were to adopt the same standards I would be marching my trotters off! If you take banking away then it really would be in trouble as less than 30% of its GDP is based on Industry.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                ~ Anonymous

Comment

Hello Paws,
                  I agree this Limbo is no good 2 days after referendum I sold a company ( negotiations over some 18 months) a LOT of huffing and puffing from the potential buyer ( EU based) quick call 25th June all signed sealed and paid they decided that a company in an independent Britain was a much better investment that with us in the EU.

Always been convinced that Britain made the wrong decision on joining I the first place. The interference in my sphere was often made extremely difficult with orders/instructions having to be written or countermanded. I certainly don't like the idea of a " European Army" controlled by unelected office wallahs in Brussels.

nem

Comment

Just to point out that I doubt in can be triggered until after the legal challenge is heard in October and the government have already said that they would not trigger it prior to that anyway....

Comment

Had to look up the whole debate on the European Army -My bad, as I meant to look it up when you mentioned it in an earlier post. Have to agree totally on that point. Do not like the look of it at all but it is a pity we couldn’t have found a way around it or some form of compromise. Not sure though why we would need a united EU army. We seem to have worked pretty well as part of an allied force on more than one occasion but I kind of understand why the Germans would forget that!
                      I desperately want to stay in this country but already the OH’s company are doing some preliminary investigations into moving. Believe me they want to stick it out as well but more and more companies they deal with are saying they want more time before negotiating the renewal of contracts. These are solid experienced business people who have seen boom and bust and rode it out. If they can find a way of staying they will.
                      I was watching a programme that interviewed a man in the Midlands who voted to leave because immigrants were taking low paid work. He said he could not afford to work for £200 per week as he had 6 children to support but resented the polish worker who took the job. What if the company could not afford to pay more? Many businesses are struggling or just starting out and although some do exploit the workers many are just trying to keep their companies going or afloat through the tough times. Dyson went off to exploit low paid workers abroad after taking UK money to get his business off the ground yet they gave him a knighthood.
                      Oh it is all off it’s head!

~ Anonymous

Comment

Dear Crazy
                        Parliament debated the petition you signed – “EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum”
                        Watch the debate: http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index...5-40eca4b614c0
                        Read the transcript: https://hansard.parliament.uk/common...eferendumRules
                        The petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
                        Thanks,
                        The Petitions team
                        UK Government and Parliament

Brexit means ?? whatever the polititions tell you it means,now back to work you Minions, How on earth do you expect all them MPs to be able to afford poppers and party time ( am being nice ) , if your wasting there time trying to get them to do as you asked... stupid voters,
                        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37532364

Brexit: May to trigger Article 50 by end of March

The prime minister confirmed the deadline for triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which sets in place a two-year process of withdrawal.
                          She has also promised a "Great Repeal Bill" in the next Queen's Speech, which will overturn the act that took the UK into the EU.
                          It will remove the European Communities Act 1972 from the statute book.
                          The government will also enshrine all existing EU law into British law.
                          It comes as the Conservatives gather for their annual conference.
                          The repeal of the 1972 Act will not take effect until the UK leaves the EU under Article 50.
                          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

What is going on with European property market after Brexit? Has it influenced property prices to any extent? KPMG predicted that prices would drop by 5% nationally. But some brokers reported the increase of property investors activity due to the pound fall (also heated by base interest rate drop https://tranio.com/united-kingdom/an...e-market_5177/). "Capital Economics has forecasted that UK house prices will likely increase by 2% by the end of 2016, 2% in 2017, and 3% in 2018."My colleague who is in the process of buying a flat in London said it is unaffordable as usually

Comment

That's an interesting article, Jess. I notice the losers being savers. I've just received notification that all my savings including ISA will drop to 0.05% from December, I think. It makes you start to look around for better rates.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X