• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LOWELL Statute Barred Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOWELL Statute Barred Query

Hi,
    I have had letters from Lowell since January 2016 stating I owe over £2000 from a Provident financial door step loan. The last time I paid on this was February 2009 and so I sent the template letter to Lowell stating statute barred etc. Lowell responded stating that the default wasn't put on my credit file until March 2010 making it within the 6 years of me having to repay the remainder of the loan. I am unsure when a default went on my credit file but as I hadn't paid any money since February 2009 I presume a default would have entered onto my credit file within 6 months following this date? Lowell said I have 30 days to pay or my case goes to court. can anyone advise pls? thank you
    Tags: None

Re: LOWELL Statute Barred Query

Hi JPOO2012 & welcome to LB

They have admitted that the date for the cause of action is March 2010?

It's now 21st June 2016.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

apologies, slight typo error, they said the default went on my credit file in March 2011, 2 years after my last payment to provident.

Comment

Originally posted by JPOO2012 View Post
        apologies, slight typo error, they said the default went on my credit file in March 2011, 2 years after my last payment to provident.
        Ok
        & you are sure you have not paid into, or acknowledged in writing, the disputed account?

Do you have access to bank records for the relevant period? (2009/10/11)
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

absolutely positive and have proof that the last collection of money was February 2009. I can get hold of bank records for this period yes, but any payments I made were cash at the door when they collected every week.

Comment

I think the statute barred take on this is:

1, the account fell in to default after 3 missed payment and no written admission of liability.

2.The default should have been placed no more than 6 months after the last payment.

3. The default was placed unfairly /unreasonably late.

Get a CCA request of to Lowell ASAP ( template in green box above) there is a £1 statutory fee to pay use a postal order this and mark it clearly " For Statutory Fee Only" Use signed for post and check delivery date and signature.

nem

nem

Comment

thank you for the advice - I don't seem to be able to see the a green box above for the CCA template though!

Comment

thank you for the advice - I don't seem to be able to see the a green box above for the CCA template though!
                Try http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...y-of-Agreement
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

great, thanks both. what should I do if/when I receive this from Lowell?

Comment

great, thanks both. what should I do if/when I receive this from Lowell?
                    IMHO this is probably jumping the gun a bit; we don't know what their response will be yet.

Send to lowells with a £1 payment (PO?) marked 'For statutory use only', & get proof of posting.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

sorry - just in a bot of a flap about it - thanks for calming me down , will keep you posted on progress!

Comment

Just an update on this post for you!
                        Lowell are still chasing me for payment of over £2000 for a debt I have made no payment or contact on since Feb 2010. I wrote to the collection agent last month as you advised using a template letter regarding statute barred, they responded with a letter stating march 2011 was the "default date" on my credit report so this loan is still collectable and that my file will be moved back to collections if i don't pay within 30 days. I have applied to have the default date on my credit report amended and is currently "in progress".

I wrote back, using template letter again, but adapt it slightly to say that the default date has no bearing on the limitations act and I was still waiting on proof of a payment, written acknowledgement or CCJ - if they fail to provide it but continue to ask me for the money based on the default date, I will take the matter to the Ombudsman. I did this and they have now written again to say the debt is enforceable because the default date on my credit report is March 2011 so NOT statute barred and want payment. Not sure what I should do now? Should I tell the debt collector that I have requested the default date change? Any help on this default date nightmare would be grand!

Comment

Did you send the cca request as advised. If you did, did they respond with anything?

Comment

I haven't yet, I missed that so should I send this off as next steps? I have just sent 2 statute barred template letters so far.

Comment

If they can't produce the CCA then they can't enforce it through the court so it is an important part of the process for you to send a request, and although they can't enforce the debt they can start proceeding against you so watch out for something in the post...

Hopefully you can get the default date changed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X