• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Wages late or short

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wages late or short

Hello everyone newbie here lol.i work for a cleaning company its a small company.i work 16 plus hours a week.the thing is last week i was short in my pay but got the rest the next day.this week my pay was short again and ive no idea when ill get the rest.this had happened lots of times before not only to me but other staff somes us not getting paid at all until nearly the next pay day.i have txt my boss asking when ill get the rest of my pay but had nothing back.i feel like staying away from work until he pays me but that would mean no pay next week either.im fed up of having late pay or its only half if it i work hard and have bills to pay what can i do? Any advice much appreciated thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Wages late or short

Hi Ter68 !

I've come across this situation so many times before where the company or business has been set up by one woman or man who canvasses the work and then farms it out, as to yourself. The problem results in that one person not having a contingency fund to cover the wage bill every week ( possibly due to the fact that they are chasing late payment as well ) or at worst that they cover their own needs first, which you have no way of knowing.

Are you paid cash/cheque or via the bank? Are you receiving proper payslips ? Or are you self employed?

These kind of jobs tend to be easy to obtain and probably easier to leave so my advice would be not to leave but see it through for a little longer to see if the late payment pattern is persistent. Obviously if you have to endure this week after week, you would be best served finding similar employment elsewhere. I don't know what you can do to promote full payment every time as it does indicate a cash flow problem and I would hope that is not due to the boss taking his own cut first ... if so then he's simply keeping afloat by late payment of staff wages. It's a bad business practice I am afraid and illustrates poor money management as well.

Comment

Hi Ter68 & welcome to LB

In addition to Snoopy's comments & questions, how long have you been working for the company?

Who is responsible for your tax/NI?

Have you received a Statement of Employment Particulars, or a contract of employment?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=62334]Snoopy1948[/MENTION]. we do get payslips but theyre very infrequent.were also paid into our bank account.i think he does look after his own needs before ours as hes going to be purchasing a dog which costs £1.400 with 500 already being put down as a deposit! He also blames clients being late with payments for us not being paid! Shouldnt he have a back up wage account? Were a small staff of about 8 we think hes skating on thin ice tbh! Also he can afford to sponsor local football teams and charity events.but no pay for us staff.he certsinly looks after himself too skint to pay us but can afford gym memberships and stays in hotels etc.thsnks again for your reply

Comment

Hi Ter68

We crossed posts........see above.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Ive been there nearly 2 and a half years .work deals with tax etc

Comment

Hello again.so it has happened again last week staff paid late or in dribs and drabs.i was paid eventually on thurs then on friday was 40 pounds and nothing since altho he had said id get the rest yesterday.surely he has a legal obligation to pay his staff.we do nit have an actual written contract altho were on a 16+ hours a week.because hes not psying on time staff have difficulties payin rent etc with one person allready behind.do we have the right to down tools until were paid ? As at this rate it looks like this is going to continue every week.if we complain he says ''well i didnt hear you complain when you got paid early that time'' he just doesent get it at all.hes due to collect a puppy in a couple of weeks and pay the balance of 500 pounds so yet again well not be paid because his needs come before us.would it be worth seeing a solicitor about this ? Were all at our wits end and all want to look for new jobs but getting another job is easier said than done.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X