• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Getting a "Settled" CCJ setaside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a "Settled" CCJ setaside

Hi all,

I’ve just discovered through a free Noddle credit report that I have a CCJ in my name from 2011. I had no idea about this and it is registered to an address I hadn’t lived at since 2006.

Upon calling the courts and doing some digging, I’ve found it was for a water bill which was paid late after my old housemate left the property in 2011. I called Anglian Water and they confirmed the CCJ is now settled and they will update the listing. They said that my name was never taken off of the water bill after I moved out in 2006.

I spoke to CAB about setting aside the CCJ as I can prove I didn’t live at the property at the time (council tax statement from another property) and they said that they are not sure if a CCJ could be set-aside if it had already been classed as settled.

Obviously I don’t want this on my record but the CAB made out it could be a costly legal route to go down to try and remove it.

Any thoughts? Thank you
    Dan
    Tags: None

Re: Getting a "Settled" CCJ setaside

Originally posted by y2smif View Post
    Hi all,

I’ve just discovered through a free Noddle credit report that I have a CCJ in my name from 2011. I had no idea about this and it is registered to an address I hadn’t lived at since 2006.

Upon calling the courts and doing some digging, I’ve found it was for a water bill which was paid late after my old housemate left the property in 2011. I called Anglian Water and they confirmed the CCJ is now settled and they will update the listing. They said that my name was never taken off of the water bill after I moved out in 2006.

I spoke to CAB about setting aside the CCJ as I can prove I didn’t live at the property at the time (council tax statement from another property) and they said that they are not sure if a CCJ could be set-aside if it had already been classed as settled.

Obviously I don’t want this on my record but the CAB made out it could be a costly legal route to go down to try and remove it.

Any thoughts? Thank you
    Dan
    Good afternoon welcome to LB

A paid judgement order is usually marked satisfied.
    Set aside has to be sought promptly so what is the date of the judgement?
    Can you perchance recall the date you paid the bill was it before or after the claim was issued.

nem

Comment

Thank you for the quick response nem, much appreciated.
      Apologies, I wasnt very clear. I didn't pay the bill, I had nothing to do with the bill at this stage (I had left the property 5 years prior but my name was obviously still in the bill and my old housemate had continued to pay it)
      The ccj is dated 12/2011. I know there's not long left on it but I will be applying to rent a new property later this year and I don't want that to be affected.
      My friend had no idea he had a ccj from it either, he remembers paying it sheet be left the property but didn't know it had gone that far.
      Thanks again

Comment

Thank you for the quick response nem, much appreciated.
        Apologies, I wasnt very clear. I didn't pay the bill, I had nothing to do with the bill at this stage (I had left the property 5 years prior but my name was obviously still in the bill and my old housemate had continued to pay it)
        The ccj is dated 12/2011. I know there's not long left on it but I will be applying to rent a new property later this year and I don't want that to be affected.
        My friend had no idea he had a ccj from it either, he remembers paying it sheet be left the property but didn't know it had gone that far.
        Thanks again
        Might be worth contacting the water company to see if they will agree to set the judgement as the debt was paid off.
        nem

Comment

Yeah... They pretty much laughed me off the phone!
          Said that as far as they're concerned it was a correct judgement and they shouldn't have to make an amendment even as a show of good faith. Despite me being able to prove I didn't live there they say they were none the wiser. I'm sure I informed them I moved out, but there's no way of proving it, especially after ten years!

Comment

Yeah... They pretty much laughed me off the phone!
            Said that as far as they're concerned it was a correct judgement and they shouldn't have to make an amendment even as a show of good faith. Despite me being able to prove I didn't live there they say they were none the wiser. I'm sure I informed them I moved out, but there's no way of proving it, especially after ten years!
            Talking to water company " customer disservice departments is a total waste of time, go for a director/MD/CEO level contact.
            nem

Comment

Thanks Nem. I've found a couple of Director email addresses, sent them a breakdown of what happened. We shall see

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X