• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The EU referendum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The EU referendum

At present being in the EU France is SLOWING DOWN the influx of migrants by the Camps they have set up and the French along with our police, customs etc are working together to keep the low of migrants into the UK.
    Is it also acting as a pull for migrants. We have one of the most liberal benefit systems in the world, or so it would seem.

A Comparison of Benefits for EU Migrants taken from European Commission guides to social security and health care in member states 2013

UNITED KINGDOM Health care Available immediately and free under the NHS.
    Child benefit Paid immediately at around £80/month if the claimant has an individual income of less than £50,000.
    Unemployment benefit Immediate payment under Job Seekers Allowance. However, EU migrants have to pass the “right-to-reside” test to show they are “economically active”.
    Housing benefit Available immediately if you are on a low income, whether you are working or unemployed.

Compare this to SPAIN

Health care Only available with a card proving entitlement
    Child benefit Immediate payment of up to £20 per month
    Unemployment benefit Immediate payment available based on a variable proportion of average wages
    Housing benefit No equivalent scheme

or ROMANIA

Health care six-month qualifying period, except for emergencies
    Child benefit monthly payment of up to £20
    Unemployment benefit minimum qualifying period of 12 months
    Housing benefit no equivalent scheme

or LITHUANIA

Health care Three months qualifying period but “urgent care” free immediately
    Child benefit Immediate monthly payment of £24
    Unemployment benefit 18-month qualifying period

or GREECE

Health care 100 days of work required to qualify
    Child benefit No equivalent scheme
    Unemployment benefit Minimum of six months of work required to qualify

OR AUSTRIA
    Health care Available immediately, but only if you pay “social insurance”
    Child benefit Immediate payment of £89 per month
    Unemployment benefit Only available to people who have paid social insurance

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped-Off View Post
      Is it also acting as a pull for migrants. We have one of the most liberal benefit systems in the world, or so it would seem.

A Comparison of Benefits for EU Migrants taken from European Commission guides to social security and health care in member states 2013

UNITED KINGDOM Health care Available immediately and free under the NHS.
      Child benefit Paid immediately at around £80/month if the claimant has an individual income of less than £50,000.
      Unemployment benefit Immediate payment under Job Seekers Allowance. However, EU migrants have to pass the “right-to-reside” test to show they are “economically active”.
      Housing benefit Available immediately if you are on a low income, whether you are working or unemployed.

Compare this to SPAIN

Health care Only available with a card proving entitlement
      Child benefit Immediate payment of up to £20 per month
      Unemployment benefit Immediate payment available based on a variable proportion of average wages

or ROMANIA

Health care six-month qualifying period, except for emergencies
      Child benefit monthly payment of up to £20
      Unemployment benefit minimum qualifying period of 12 months
      Housing benefit no equivalent scheme

or LITHUANIA

Health care Three months qualifying period but “urgent care” free immediately
      Child benefit Immediate monthly payment of £24
      Unemployment benefit 18-month qualifying period

or GREECE

Health care 100 days of work required to qualify
      Child benefit No equivalent scheme
      Unemployment benefit Minimum of six months of work required to qualify

OR AUSTRIA
      Health care Available immediately, but only if you pay “social insurance”
      Child benefit Immediate payment of £89 per month
      Unemployment benefit Only available to people who have paid social insurance
      Now you see this isnt an EU problem, its a domestic problem, its something the UK could change without discriminating against EU nationals.
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
        You did refer to online stuff so it raised the presumption you weren't formally educated in said law. However, as you have i'll provide the following. If you studied UK Constitutional law's good legal journals you'd realise that HRA develops constitutional common law and said common law withstands any associated constitutional statute ie the Human Rights Act, Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, if it were in legal theory to be repealed. To a lesser extent although very influenced by EU principles, the Equality Acts could be repealed but modern common principles would like stand the test of time in the season of democracy as it were, if in the alternative Parliament could so do away with the constitutional protections in which its citizens enjoy, it would go against the moral and legal dimension of the rule of law.

So, in legal theory Parliament can make any law it so desires and in can equally, in theory anyway, also repeal any Parliament Act. However, statute in the UK's constitution has a certain hierarchal effect in that one is potentially constitutional ie HRA, PACE et al...but others are simply not and potentially could be so repealed. In my view, Parliament doesn't really have the power it once enjoyed, as the executive has that power by an large.
        do you really need me to throw names about? Kelly & Slapper, Dicey, Barnett, etc, and whats more i choose not to use case citations to support my views as im not writing a skeleton argument rather i am blogging about my personal views, but if you really want to know anything about me or my expertise, then just look for cases such as Harrison v Link, Kotecha v Phoenix, Malouf v MBNA, Grace v Blackhorse, that should give you an idea that i have a little bit of knowledge about the law.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

In or out the choice is for everyone.........BUT as it is so clear....... No-one knows what WILL happen if we leave.........all I say is BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW .........THAN THE ONE YOU DON'T!!

Sparkie

Comment

Better the devil you know
            You can quote Kylie Minogue all you like, but I'm going to steal Duncan Bannatyne's line from Dragon's Den....."I'm ooot"

Comment

I'm voting to stay in.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I'm out and as it happens I didnt vote to go in lol

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  I'm voting to stay in.
                  Me too.

I didn't study law, but I do like to think I have a firm grasp of the EU Fish policy.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                    Me too.

I didn't study law, but I do like to think I have a firm grasp of the EU Fish policy.
                    Oh yes the discard ban pmsl, yer allowed 2 fish catch 3 you must chuck one back, dont matter if yer kids are hungry and you have no other income means just do as yer told. These waters that surround our island are to be shared fairly yer right lol

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                      Me too.

im in too, no shock there though im guessing haha

Comment

On balance I will vote in . Partly I dont want to be left alone on a small island with a bunch of tories, and partly I think we will have more influence in the long run in . IF we leave I fear we have to pay to trade and it will be more than we pay now without the rebate and grants. The EU needs reform and we are better at being in the eu .
                        I feel the most important thing is for people to vote. The larger the number of votes the more legitimacy the referendum has . Remember that the government is not bound by the result and there isa cabal of in MPs who may vote against the leave act . If the result is very close on a very small turnout then the government may be justified in ignoring the result and carrying on .

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                          do you really need me to throw names about? Kelly & Slapper, Dicey, Barnett, etc, and whats more i choose not to use case citations to support my views as im not writing a skeleton argument rather i am blogging about my personal views, but if you really want to know anything about me or my expertise, then just look for cases such as Harrison v Link, Kotecha v Phoenix, Malouf v MBNA, Grace v Blackhorse, that should give you an idea that i have a little bit of knowledge about the law.
                          I mention a few words in the first sentence but you provide an entire paragraph non sequitur. The good stuff is in no law text the good stuff entails journals, not Kelly et al. You missed my point too which was about constitutional hierarchy and consequent constitutional common law for which you answered not.

Comment

I could, (and some may say do), rant for hours about this. I am adamant we should stay in. I am also adamant that we should all vote. No one can use the excuse that it will ‘make no difference to their everyday lives’. Our decision will affect every man, woman and child now and for many, many years to come.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                            ~ Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                              I mention a few words in the first sentence but you provide an entire paragraph non sequitur. The good stuff is in no law text the good stuff entails journals, not Kelly et al. You missed my point too which was about constitutional hierarchy and consequent constitutional common law for which you answered not.
                              while you may think i missed your point, you perhaps hadn't considered the alternative, being i chose to ignore it.

Comment

Another foul up announced this morning voter registration site goes down maybe thousands now without a vote (BBC News) checks to see if the dead line legally or technically!

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X