• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Right of way / easement of private driveway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right of way / easement of private driveway

I have just purchased a property which has a fairly decent sized driveway, but due to an existing right of way/easement stating that my neighbour have drive over my property to get to their own drive (my property has a drop kerb, they don't).
    Problem is, because of the way that the right of way has been drawn on the deed, it leaves me with space for one parked car, whereas they have space for 4-5 cars!!! Morally not right.

My questions are;
    1) Can you redesign the right of way without having to do it legally? So still leaving them access across my property but just set out differently so I can squeeze another car space on my own property.
    2) If I need to seek legal advice on changing the access (as I am presuming that my neighbour will not agree to release the deed as it would be of no benefit to them to do that) - who do I speak to? The local council, land registry and/or a solicitor?

Thanks in advance! Tracey
    Tags: None

Re: Right of way / easement of private driveway

Morals count for nothing here you need to get Legal advice before you think of doing anything that may upset your neighbour otherwise it may become very troublesome and expensive.
    You cannot just alter a right of way after all what would you do if positions were reversed and they were left with one space and you six

Comment

Is there space for a drop kerb to be added for direct access to their driveway ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Dropped kerbs cost a lot to have done maybe there is a wall to remove as well don't think if I was the neighbour I would be paying good idea though

Comment

Have you checked with land registry if there is a right to lift and shift the easement?

Have you discussed the possibiity of "lift and shift" and redefining the right along a new route by agreement with your neighbour.
          If the change does not alter the amount of land available to them to park, why do you think they will not agree?
          If the change is agreed a of variation deed will need to be drawn up

Further thoughts: do you know the exact route?
          does the easement show the exact route and define the width?
          are there limits on the size of the vehicles?
          These are all points that might help in your negotiations

Comment

Can you post up the wording on the deed/covenant ( lots of the arguments about these are down to interpretation of the wording ),

Do they have highway access to there frontage,, or are they a corner,
            When was the part added to the dead ( was it at time of build or after )
            Does your deed mention a charge for maintenance
            crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X