• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ford Options Voluntary Termination Help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ford Options Voluntary Termination Help please

FORD OPTIONS Could somebody please tell me if under this deal We can terminate the finance early .
    it was a 3 year deal due to terminate feb 2017 but the circumstances for the person has changed and they no longer require the car
    they want to hand the car back , after speaking to ford they weren't very helpful and suggested it would have a negative impact on the persons credit file.
    Really just need to know what to say to them and know I'm correct in whatever it is I say
    and also do the monthly payments have to be met up until feb 2017 if the car goes back early
    Thankyou
    Tags: None

Re: ford Options ?

Hello,

Is it a hire-purchase or conditional sale agreement or something else? YOu will need to look at your terms and conditions there will be a clause on termination or on your pre-contract information sheet which says you can terminate provided you have paid X. If you have then you can VT, click on this link for more info http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ry-Termination
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi thankyou I'm not sure I have the document now so will take a look thanks for the link too.

Comment

If you give Ford a call they should tell you the type of agreement you have taken out and should be able to send you a copy too if you need it.

Having a quick look at the Ford website there seems to be the option of a hire-purchase or a lease. If you chose the Ford Personal Lease you will not be able to VT the agreement because it is a hire agreement and not a hire purchase agreement. The right to VT does not apply to lease agreements, so you will need to find out what you have.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

ford Options ?

Hi
          I used template letter on here to voluntarily Terminate contract on my car, having paid 50% it was due to in February 2017 Car was collected within the week and inspection was done all was good on car.
          now 10 days later have received a letter which has no mention of excess milage but just says
          Reminder
          Following the recent collection of the above vehicle under the terms of the VT I write to advise you that the liability due is £754.20 and should be paid by close of business 9th June
          basically just says will be forwarded to collections agency if not paid.
          I called them to ask what the figure referred to and was told that it was an excess mileage charge as 6000 miles was the maximum per year allowed , but there was nothing to indicate this on the letter?
          I have read the forums on here and would really appreciate your advise as to how to respond to this letter.

Comment

ford Options Voluntary Termination Help please

Hi<br>
            I used template letter on here to voluntarily Terminate contract on my car, having paid 50% it was due to in February 2017 Car was collected within the week and inspection was done all was good on car.<br>
            now 10 days later have received a letter which has no mention of excess milage but just says <br>
            Reminder<br>
            Following the recent collection of the above vehicle under the terms of the VT I write to advise you that the liability due is £754.20 and should be paid by close of business 9th June<br>
            basically just says will be forwarded to collections agency if not paid.<br>
            I called them to ask what the figure referred to and was told that it was an excess mileage charge as 6000 miles was the maximum per year allowed , but there was nothing to indicate this on the letter?<br>
            I have read the forums on here and would really appreciate your advise as to how to respond to this letter.<br>
            <br>

Comment

Originally posted by cathysl View Post
              Hi
              I used template letter on here to voluntarily Terminate contract on my car, having paid 50% it was due to in February 2017 Car was collected within the week and inspection was done all was good on car.
              now 10 days later have received a letter which has no mention of excess milage but just says
              Reminder
              Following the recent collection of the above vehicle under the terms of the VT I write to advise you that the liability due is £754.20 and should be paid by close of business 9th June
              basically just says will be forwarded to collections agency if not paid.
              I called them to ask what the figure referred to and was told that it was an excess mileage charge as 6000 miles was the maximum per year allowed , but there was nothing to indicate this on the letter?
              I have read the forums on here and would really appreciate your advise as to how to respond to this letter.

Hello, excess mileage cannot be charged, take a look at this link for more information. If you are still struggling, post back and i'll see what I can do -> http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ment-*UPDATED*
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thankyou [MENTION=23709]rob[/MENTION] would this letter be ok I just adapted slightly from the link you gave. They have only mentioned in the phone call that it related to excess milage the letter as I said never mentioned it only that a liability was due. any help greatly appreciated.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Voluntary Termination

Agreement Number:
                Vehicle Registration:

I am writing further to your letter dated 17th May

Please note that liability in relation to the alleged outstanding balance for excess mileage is denied.

Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, my liability in respect of the agreement is limited to half the total amount payable and any terms under the agreement which imposes additional liability directly or indirectly is strictly prohibited by the Act.

The vehicle was maintained in a reasonable condition throughout the period of the agreement and therefore such damage charges you are claiming would amount to fair wear and tear; the vehicle does not need to be returned to you in any better condition other than a reasonable one.

In any event, such sums you are alleging to be owed may only be recovered by a court order only and should you wish to pursue this matter in court, your application will be strongly defended.

Please confirm by return that this matter is now closed.

Comment

Hello,

See suggested amendments in red below.

Originally posted by cathysl View Post
                  Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Voluntary Termination

Agreement Number:
                  Vehicle Registration:

I am writing further to your letter dated 17th May

Please note that liability in relation to the alleged outstanding balance for excess mileage is denied.

Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, my liability in respect of the agreement is limited to half the total amount payable and any terms under the agreement which imposes additional liability directly or indirectly is strictly prohibited by the Act. The vehicle was maintained in a reasonable condition throughout the period of the agreement and therefore such damage charges you are claiming would amount to fair wear and tear; the vehicle does not need to be returned to you in any better condition other than a reasonable one.

I note that in your letter dated [DATE], you have made no reference as to what the cost of damages relate to however, I have been told over the telephone that the damages are for excess mileage. Therefore, please confirm in writing a full breakdown of the damages. If the damages do indeed relate to excess mileage, then as stated above, my liability is limited and excess mileage cannot be recovered.

In any event, such sums you are alleging to be owed may only be recovered by a court order only and should you wish to pursue this matter in court, your application will be strongly defended.

Please confirm by return that this matter is now closed.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                    Hello,

See suggested amendments in red below.
                    Thankyou [MENTION=23709]rob[/MENTION] I will send tomorrow with the amendments and let you know outcome

Comment

update ford cedit

[MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION]
                      I sent the letter that you kindly help me with last week and this is their response
                      I really don't know how to respond , is there anything else I can do ?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Re: ford Options Voluntary Termination Help please

I think we need to submit a formal complaint to Ford, they are passing it to a debt purchaser (I think) because they have noting to enforce against you and are simply trying to avoid potential liability from the Ombudsman if you make a complaint.

I'll see if I can get something posted up for you today to send to them before the 10th, make sure if you send by post to get proof of postage receipt. Either way, i'd find it very difficult for Link Financial to enforce the excess mileage in court.
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi [MENTION=23709]rob[/MENTION] thankyou so much if you could help I would be so grateful I send everthing to them 1st class recorded so hopefully if I get something put together I can send tomorrow.
                          Regards

Comment

Morning Cathy,

I've knocked something up really quick below, take a look and amend as required.

Dear Sir Madam,

Account Number:

In response to your letter dated 2 June 2016, I wish to make a formal complaint.

To summarise your previous letter, I understand that you maintain your position concerning the enforceability of the excess mileage clause as stipulated in the Agreement. Your interpretation section 99(2) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 is that one must look to the Agreement to determine what has accrued. Whilst I agree to some extent, the accrual of any sums prior to termination solely relates to the monthly instalments and not the excess mileage. Firstly, you were unaware that I had gone over the stipulated mileage until after the Agreement was terminated and you were in receipt of the vehicle. This therefore could not have accrued prior to termination as you say.

Secondly, In order to determine the liability under section 99 one must read all the relevant provisions together. Section 100 of the Act makes it known that the liability of a debtor under section 99 is limited to 50% of the total price under the Agreement. The Act defines "total price" as being "the total sum payable by the debtor under a hire-purchase agreement or a conditional sale agreement, including any sum payable on the exercise of an option to purchase, but excluding any sum payable as a penalty or as compensation or damages for a breach of the agreement" (see section 189). As it quite clearly states, the total price does not include any sum where the debtor is in breach of the agreement. Furthermore, section 173 of the Act also points out that any term under the Agreement which is inconsistent with a debtor's rights under the Act, shall be deemed void and unenforceable.

In light of the above, your argument that the excess mileage sums can be claimed are simply incorrect.

As I have pointed out at the the beginning of this letter, please treat this as a formal complaint against Ford and I therefore expect the complaints procedure to be invoked. I also expect for you to address my points raised in this letter, in particular how you are able to enforce the Agreement despite the provisions above stating that you cannot. Should you fail to respond or address my issues within 8 weeks of the date of this letter, I shall then forward my complaint onto the Financial Ombudsman.

It is noted that you intend on passing this alleged debt to Link Financial on 10 June 2016 (I understand they are a debt purchaser which would seem strange of Ford to sell a debt so quickly if they are supposedly entitled to it) however this does not absolve you of your obligations under the Agreement - an assignment merely passes the benefit but not the burden of contract and so Ford is still under an obligation to investigate my complaint.

I look forward to hearing your full response within 8 weeks.
                            Last edited by R0b; 6th June 2016, 10:29:AM.
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

[QUOTE=R0b;652604]Morning Cathy,
                              Thankyou so much Rob your time and effort is really appreciated it is winging it way them them now recorded delivery I will update you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X