• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Notice of Intended Prosecution Issued Against Old Car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of Intended Prosecution Issued Against Old Car

I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) for an alleged speeding offence for a car I part exchanged a year ago to a main dealer. That was the last time I was ever involved with that car; and I have no knowledge of who has been driving that car since I handed over the keys. I assume the car hasn’t been sold, and has been passed between various traders.

I contacted the DVLA, and they confirmed I am definitely *NOT* the car’s registered keeper; that their keeper records were immediately updated after I part exchanged the car; that their records were updated one year before the alleged speeding offence; and that the car is currently in “trade”.

I have all the dealer sales receipts, credit card stubs, etc. confirming the part exchange. I also have all documentation from the DVLA confirming I am no longer the registered keeper.

I have responded to the NIP and requested photographic evidence of the alleged offence (I’m hoping the photo will clearly show trade plates). I have also sent the police copies of all relevant documentation I have available to prove this car is no longer my responsibility, and that I part exchanged it one year before this offence took place. All sent using Royal Mail Special delivery.

Although I’ve provided the police with all available relevant information I have available, I’m still worried that they will issue me with a court summons.
    Tags: None

Re: Notice of Intended Prosecution Issued Against Old Car

Sounds like you have covered all the bases to me.

Can you prove where you were at the time of the alleged offence as that may also help to support your case?

I wouldn't worry too much. I remember the old poll tax court hearings, blocks of people all being tried at the same time. A friend got a summons for not paying poll tax, but did the council listen to his reasons....nope. So he turned up at Court and when asked why he hadn't paid his poll tax he said he was a member of HM Forces and thereby exempt. I wish I had been there when he flashed his forces ID to prove his case.......priceless.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X