• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

in dispute with Anglian water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in dispute with Anglian water

Dear All, first time poster here.
    I have a dispute with anglian water I wanted to get some assistance with.
    I logged this via resolver

Anglian water added my self as an account holder
    My wife has an account with Anglian water she is the person responsible for the property we rent and the account was in her name.

she asked Anglian water to allow me to assist in getting her water bill issue resolved.

it now appears that off of the back her requesting I deal with this on her behalf with Anglian water
    you have added me as an account holder alongside her,

This was never requested or agreed by me.
    as such you have added this to my credit report. Which I did not agree to,

You have also stated I opened the accounts with you dating back to 2006 on the credit report which again is not correct, my wife authorised myself to speak to you in regards to the account. at which point we setup a payment plan to clear the balance.

it now states the arrears on the account are in my name which they should not of been placed.

To action this I would like you to Anglian water need to remove all entries of the account from my credit report.

you also need to remove my self as an account holder, but leave me as an authorised contact on the account.

I would also like compensation, due to the impact of the incorrect information placed on my credit file

this was anglian waters reply.
    I did not agree or accept any responsibility for the water bill or credit facility to which they have applied.

I do not have a cca nor have I received any information affirming I am taking respospibility.

Liability

I see we added your name to the account on 2 September 2013 when you called and made a payment by debit card, and due to Data Protection we added your name so you would be able to deal with the account.

As you are occupying the property, you are using the service, and therefore jointly and severably liable for the bill. Experian have also confirmed that you are on the voters role at the property.

You are liable under Anglian Water Charges Scheme made by Anglian Water Services Limited under Section 143 of the Water Industry Act 1991 as follows;

PART A: INTERPRETATION

Definition of Occupier

has the meaning ascribed to it by the common law and therefore includes any person in actual occupation of Premises, or any person who

1) uses the Premises

PART B: GENERAL PROVISIONS

3. Liability for Charges

Liability of Occupier

(1) Water and Sewerage Charges are payable by the Occupier of Premises to which we supply water and/or provide Sewerage Services or such other person as may be made liable under the Act or under any other Act of Parliament, as the case may be, unless specified otherwise in this Charges Scheme or agreed separately by us in writing.

(2) The Occupier is liable for charges applied to each and every connected water and sewage service point where a service is received from us.

Credit reporting

The first reporting made against yourself was the default that was registered for £204.67 on 31 August 2014, a Direct Debit was set up in joint names in June 2014 for £40.00, this was cancelled when a payment was returned to the bank. A notice of default letter was sent in joint names on 4 July 2014.

Previous to the Direct Debit being changed into joint names on 2 June 2014 it was in your name only, after an email you sent us in May 2012 asking for the Debit to be set up. This started on 1 July 2012.

The invoice for this default is after the date you were added to the account, therefore you have not been negatively reported for any debt that you were not jointly liable for.

As we have added your name correctly and you have not been reported for any debt for usage before the date of 2 September2013, there is no compensation to consider.

Has anyone else had any dealings with them in regards to the above. I feel they have taken a massive liberty and broken financial law with out providing any relevant credit agreements as such the credit entries should not exist.
    Tags: None

Re: in dispute with Anglian water

Hi and welcome

Sorry to say, but whoever lives in a property is normally responsible for paying water charges,
    If more than one person lives in the property, each one is jointly and severally liable even if the bill is only in one name.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Hi and welcome

Sorry to say, but whoever lives in a property is normally responsible for paying water charges,
      If more than one person lives in the property, each one is jointly and severally liable even if the bill is only in one name.

whilst i somewhat agree, the argument is not particularly about the payments aspect.

it's more so that I have never agreed to run the account or take responsibility for them.

The bill is upto date the issue I have is that they have signed me upto to a service whilst I do use. electricity and gas both taken in my wifes name I am authorised to speak on her behalf but I don't get reported on directly.

they are referring to my self asking for credit terms if they report to a credit agency and to me that is not acceptable.

Anglian water are the sole suppliers and as such I have no option to use them in my property.

this is really alarming they can act in this manner i've done some research and I will raise this with ofwat who the ombudsman in this area. I wish to be treated fairly if anglian water have the right to apply what ever terms they want on me with out authorisation by my self that is a breach in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by fusionx212 View Post
        whilst i somewhat agree, the argument is not particularly about the payments aspect.

it's more so that I have never agreed to run the account or take responsibility for them.

By living in the property and accepting the supply you implicitly have given your agreement

The bill is upto date the issue I have is that they have signed me upto to a service whilst I do use. electricity and gas both taken in my wifes name I am authorised to speak on her behalf but I don't get reported on directly.

as above, it does not matter whose name is on the account, you use the supply

they are referring to my self asking for credit terms if they report to a credit agency and to me that is not acceptable.

Anglian water are the sole suppliers and as such I have no option to use them in my property.
        so you agree you use the supply and consequently are equally liable for the charges.
        Reports are made to CRAs

this is really alarming they can act in this manner i've done some research and I will raise this with ofwat who the ombudsman in this area. I wish to be treated fairly if anglian water have the right to apply what ever terms they want on me with out authorisation by my self that is a breach in my opinion.
        Response in red, and good luck with OFWAT

Comment

just because I let someone use my toilet does not mean they are responsible for the water bill. the property is in my wifes name when the property was rented to her she arranged supplier I was not even living with her then.

Just because it's used does not mean i agreed to the terms, for a reference to place with a CRA it's reported as a credit facility a credit facility has to be agreed as in a CCA. i do not have one of those.

Comment

Please let us know how you get on.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X