• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Son's Speeding/Failure to give information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Son's Speeding/Failure to give information

Thank you everyone.

I have (as instructed), put the form in a folder for my son & will wait for the letter with court date.

That's probably going to take a while, but I will go with him to court & try to lessen the damage.

And yes, of course, I will report back as to what happens.

Thanks again

Ian

Comment

He needs be grateful you are on his side and helping good luck hope its as lenient as can be and a lesson for him never to forget

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainChaos View Post
        Thank you everyone.

I have (as instructed), put the form in a folder for my son & will wait for the letter with court date.

That's probably going to take a while, but I will go with him to court & try to lessen the damage.

And yes, of course, I will report back as to what happens.

Thanks again

Ian
        Hello, Ian

Wait a minute, what form, where, and why? According to whom and based on what reasons, alternatively according to which (legal) authorities? You will lesson the damage, how? Are you a lawyer? If you don't put in a persuasive argument your son most certainly will be banned from driving. You can either listen to the Legalbeagles who have never studied a day of criminal law or you can chose to listen to others opinions such as (but not limited to) self who have. It's not about grovelling it's about arguing points in law, persuading the court why it would be unequitable to punish owing to X, Y, Z. Please stop looking at this situation as though it were concrete, on the contrary law is not concrete it is flexible and open to arguments.

Comment

He is pleading guilty to the speeding after doing a deal to remove the failure to furnish before that. A relatively straight forward affair. There is no legal argument and he won't be banned. The licence will be revoked at a later date.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
            Hello, Ian

Wait a minute, what form, where, and why? According to whom and based on what reasons, alternatively according to which (legal) authorities? You will lesson the damage, how? Are you a lawyer? If you don't put in a persuasive argument your son most certainly will be banned from driving. You can either listen to the Legalbeagles who have never studied a day of criminal law or you can chose to listen to others opinions such as (but not limited to) self who have. It's not about grovelling it's about arguing points in law, persuading the court why it would be unequitable to punish owing to X, Y, Z. Please stop looking at this situation as though it were concrete, on the contrary law is not concrete it is flexible and open to arguments.
            I just keep in mind that opinions are just that.
            Everytime two lawyers stand in court to argue their opinions, one loses.
            And there have been l cases on LB where posters have argued their opinion in civil court against a barrister (presumably qualified) and won

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
              He is pleading guilty to the speeding after doing a deal to remove the failure to furnish before that. A relatively straight forward affair. There is no legal argument and he won't be banned. The licence will be revoked at a later date.

M1
              What do you mean his licence will be revoked at a later date? When will his licence be revoked, what you're saying is just too ambiguous. Who so advised to plead guilty to the speeding offence, in my view his speed was within the CPS charging threshold guidelines anyway. If he has already pleaded guilty to speeding, in which he has on the facts, how is this relevant except to use mitigating circumstances overall, ie where a revocation is the potentially or foreseeable outcome?

What about this failure to identify his son as the driver in terms of this offence? What deal has been done, done with whom, the CPS?

Comment

No deal has been done, yet. He is going to do a common deal on the day of the first hearing to plead guilty to the speeding if they drop the failure to furnish. They almost always do. They won't if the son argues about the speed which would be doomed to failure anyway.

The court notifies DVLA who then send a letter to revoke.

I suggested this was the best way to deal with it, and it is.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  I just keep in mind that opinions are just that.
                  Everytime two lawyers stand in court to argue their opinions, one loses.
                  And there have been l cases on LB where posters have argued their opinion in civil court against a barrister (presumably qualified) and won
                  Civil and criminal law issues are distinguished by the fact the first in legal authority does not affect liberty, ie liberty to drive. In civil law the claimant has to prove whereas in criminal law the state has the burden of proof. There are some ( I would go as far as saying, many in fact: each has their niche) talented people and brilliant legal minds on the legalbeagles' forum here as I have alluded on a number of occasions. However, criminal law is rather more serious and to some extent could be a constitutional matter in the strictest sense of the word. i would never look for obvious answers in criminal law matters, it requires a more thinking outside the box approach. Strict liability means there are implied points of law as a 'get-out' clause as it were. It is also a legal point that mens rea (guilty mind) is presumed unless the statute per se state the contrary.

Comment

No deal has been done, yet. He is going to do a common deal on the day of the first hearing to plead guilty to the speeding if they drop the failure to furnish. They almost always do. They won't if the son argues about the speed which would be doomed to failure anyway.

The court notifies DVLA who then send a letter to revoke.

I suggested this was the best way to deal with it, and it is.

M1
                    What is the effect of revocation, how long will the licence be revoked? There is never in my view a point in law that, if used well, cannot succeed. Not every person thinks the same, I know for one I look at law like a presumption but not an eventuality unless I have to concede. Others look at the law as a verbatim finality in the first instance.

Comment

The effect of revocation is that you need to resit a test to continue driving. It probably costs less than having a ban for insurance purposes and you can drive again much sooner than 6 months time.

M1

Comment

A young lad who up until appearing in Court has failed to follow the basic rules of being open and honest and ignoring legal questions regarding who was driving
                        standing there as a layperson trying to quote legalise which to him probably does not make sense must be a recipe for failure.

Time to eat humble pie and grovel magistrates as seen in many local court cases tend to ignore most pleas and impose heavy fines costs and points to young drivers if t=he really wants to have the best chance in court needs to get a Solicitor not advice from here which is based on experience and research by posters if
                        OPENLAW you think you are better than others on here please contact the OP and appear for them if and when this comes to court

Comment

A solicitor to speak to the prostitution and arrange such a deal is a gross waste of money.

This is about as simple as it gets. Once inside the court, in front of the court, "guilty" is the only word required. How hard is that ? A lot easier than passing a test again.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                            A young lad who up until appearing in Court has failed to follow the basic rules of being open and honest and ignoring legal questions regarding who was driving
                            standing there as a layperson trying to quote legalise which to him probably does not make sense must be a recipe for failure.

Time to eat humble pie and grovel magistrates as seen in many local court cases tend to ignore most pleas and impose heavy fines costs and points to young drivers if t=he really wants to have the best chance in court needs to get a Solicitor not advice from here which is based on experience and research by posters if
                            OPENLAW you think you are better than others on here please contact the OP and appear for them if and when this comes to court
                            I am not qualified and only solicitors, barristers, legal executives can stand before courts, ie audience rights. I don't think am better than everyone else I seem to think different from the conventional view on here, perhaps.

- - - Updated - - -

A solicitor to speak to the prostitution and arrange such a deal is a gross waste of money.

This is about as simple as it gets. Once inside the court, in front of the court, "guilty" is the only word required. How hard is that ? A lot easier than passing a test again.

M1
                            How soon could the son be driving in real terms. Is there a period where he has to wait to pass his test?

Comment

Wohhhh

I didn't expect a "don't do that do this no guarantee for anything" thing here.

I have been advised to do certain things, which seem to be viable. I am (fairly) law abiding, so I have no idea about any of this other than my son was a doughnut & drove too fast (twice) by a static camera, then ignored the initial 'letter', so it has escalated to either a "guilty" or "not guilty" plea via post, or as Mystery1 has said, wait until a court summons appears & then try to speak to the prosecutor to say that my son will plead guilty to the speeding, if the failure to provide driver details offence is removed.

The 2nd speeding offence will take him up to 6 points, and as he is a new driver, it is highly likely that he will get his licence revoked for 6 months or so. His insurance will increase & he will be a miserable little monster for quite some time.

I don't know if I can say anything on his behalf in the courtroom, but he is 21 and really should be able to talk nicely to the magistrate(s) about the fact that he has just started a new job in a car home & needs his car to be able to look after the old people!!

Yeah I know - crap excuse & he really needs to learn the hard way to teach him a lesson. I am just trying to reduce the inevitable so he doesn't lose the will to live!

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                                I am not qualified and only solicitors, barristers, legal executives can stand before courts, ie audience rights. I don't think am better than everyone else I seem to think different from the conventional view on here, perhaps.

- - - Updated - - -

How soon could the son be driving in real terms. Is there a period where he has to wait to pass his test?

Depends how busy the local test centres are.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X