• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Muslim couple settlement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim couple settlement

Hi we are a Muslim couple with 3 children all under 10 years of age.

My self 35 and her is 33

We are married by islamic '' nikah'' meaning we have not had a our marriage registered at the registration office... I have been told we are '' cohabiting''?

The marriage is in shambles, on the verge of breaking up

Cut a long story short does she have any rights under English law to take any of my house from me. considering we are not married as far as I have been told

Also the mortgage is solely in my name and she contributes nothing to the running of the house.

As far as I have been told I would have to provide accommodation to them until the children are 18...

Questions I would like help with

1. Has she got any right under English law to have a share in my house? Cohabiting or else?

2. If I have to provide accommodation because of the children to 18 years of age, can she request to stay in my house.

3. Can I ask her to leave and provide her with rented accommodation elsewhere.

Thanx
    Tags: None

Re: Muslim couple settlement

Hi and welcome.

Without going into the situation in detail, broadly the court could transfer the property into your partner's name until the children are 18 years old, if it is considered in the childrens' best interests.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Hi and welcome.

Without going into the situation in detail, broadly the court could transfer the property into your partner's name until the children are 18 years old, if it is considered in the childrens' best interests.
      If that was the case who would be liable for the mortgage... She does not work and cannot get a mortgage in her name

Please explain if you can

Comment

YOU possibly!

But there are so many variables it is not possible to second guess what a court may order

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X