• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received Court Claim - Inadequate PoC - Next step?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received Court Claim - Inadequate PoC - Next step?

I am currently involved in a dispute with a small business who allege that I owe them money, despite me having a strong amount of evidence to suggest that their claim is without foundation. They've previously been through a solicitor to request payment, which I declined and then insisted that they took the matter to court if they wanted settlement

They have now lodged a claim in the county court without the assistance of said solicitors. The sum is less than £10k and likely to go down the small claims track.

Their PoC is a fairly concise history of events thus far, but fails to spell out what exactly their case is (inference at best) and doesn't even state what legal framework they are relying on (e.g. breach of contract etc), it is simply a timeline of events to date. There isn't actually a properly worded allegation in there at all, only a very slight inference about my alleged dishonesty.

I have lodged an AoS and now have 21 days to defend the claim, which I intend to do fully.

I am now unsure of how I should respond to the claim? As I understand it, my options include:

1) Request a strike out on the basis that PoC do not comply with CPR, which in all likelihood will just lead to the court asking the claimant to amend the PoC and pay a fee of approx £35 (which they cannot claim back from me?) and the claim still proceeding a few weeks later than scheduled.

2) Lodge a defence, mention explicitly in the defence that the PoC do not appear to comply with CPR and state that until the PoC are lodged correctly, the defendant is unable to respond to either admit or deny the claim as the allegations are absent and very unclear.

3) Lodge a defence, ignore the PoC issue for now, responding only in very basic terms solely in response to their 'non-allegation' accusations such as "The Defendant admits she was indeed wearing brown shoes on the day in question". Therefore ignoring the inference of alleged dishonesty, as this has not been spelled out properly.

4) As for '3)' except referring explicitly to the slight inference of dishonesty and expressing a full denial in writing.

In all honesty, I'm fully aware of their allegations and feel I am already in a strong position, therefore a new set of PoC would not really benefit me except that this is likely to lead to further expense for the claimant and delay any court date. However, if not mentioning the abysmal PoC is likely to leave the claimant in front of a judge with a claim that he cannot prove (as it contains no allegations) then it is surely worth me keeping quiet?

I would appreciate your thoughts.
    Tags: None

Re: Received Court Claim - Inadequate PoC - Next step?

You sound like you are completely on top of it and indeed those are your options. It would cost you a fee of either £100 or £255 (with a hearing) to apply to strike out their claim ( whcih would be reclaimable from them if you won) but I would go with a mix of option's 2 and 3 - particularly as you are a litigant in person. So admit or deny anything in the POC that is possible ( like the brown shoe issue ) and state unable to plead further as the claim is unclear. as you are aware what the claim is for and feel you have a strong defence to it I would put an additional part defending the claim as it should be. I'm currently working on a WS for a wrongly brought claim ( wrong court, under wrong heads of claim etc) and I'm dealing with the POC issues first then proceeding with the full defence against what the claim is... just to try and keep the time/cost down as much as possible.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X