• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can my husband buy a funeral plan....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my husband buy a funeral plan....

....out of his dad's money? My husband has Power of Attorney for his father, who has advanced dementia. He (my husband) is selling his father's flat to pay care home costs but he wondered whether he could legally buy a funeral plan out of the proceeds of sale? Additionally, he would like to put £1,000 out of the sale money aside to cover the cost of the funeral reception, as it appears that funeral plans don't include this non-essential cost. Is this allowed?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Crisps

- - - Updated - - -

I failed to mention that the funeral plan is for the father, not my husband!
    Oops
    Crisps
    Tags: None

Re: Can my husband buy a funeral plan....

Originally posted by ilikecrisps View Post
    ....out of his dad's money? My husband has Power of Attorney for his father, who has advanced dementia. He (my husband) is selling his father's flat to pay care home costs but he wondered whether he could legally buy a funeral plan out of the proceeds of sale? Additionally, he would like to put £1,000 out of the sale money aside to cover the cost of the funeral reception, as it appears that funeral plans don't include this non-essential cost. Is this allowed?

Thanks.
    Crisps

- - - Updated - - -

Oops
    Crisps

Eck! thought we were going to have an epic story line. somebody will comment no doubt.

Funeral plans usually kick in after 1- 2 years? maybe more info soon!

Comment

Thanks, Mike770. It does sound like a juicy storyline out of a soap opera, doesn't it!
      Crisps

Comment

Can anyone help? Are we allowed to pay for father-in-law's funeral plan and funeral reception out of the proceeds of sale from his flat? We don't currently have that sort of spare cash ourselves.
        Sorry to be a pain, but we just want to make sure we do everything properly.
        Crisps

Comment

Morning

I believe most councils don't regard purchase of funeral plans as deprivation of assets/capital but it's not something I know definitively I'm afraid. It might be worth giving the local authority a call and asking them the question.

[MENTION=141]enaid[/MENTION] might know better or have some info where you can find the answer.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

This looks like it might be a helpful place for you - http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forum...nancial-issues
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi ilikecrisps

I don't really know too much about these things, as it sounds like something best dealt with by a financial advisor (or maybe CAB?).

This looks interesting or perhaps setting up a trust

Maybe @enaid knows of some ideas?

As stated, it's always wise to seek expert financial help.

(X-posts with [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION])
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi, I personally have only read that you can set up a funeral plan for someone else , but that you are responsible for the payments. I know that doesn't answer your question
                I can't see a problem as it is not money you are spending that is not in dads interest and the funeral costs would come out of dads estate later if there is enough.
                If you have a plan in mind and do shop around and research properly then check with them before you buy or even better give the OPG a ring they are very helpful and will give a definite answer.
                The link Ame gave to the Alzheimer's forum, I also would recommend you join it is full of information from people who have or are dealing with this horrid illness.
                Good Luck and best wishes Enaid x

Comment

Just another addition as I saw you were selling dads house to pay for his care, my OH plus 3 bros have been in turmoil for a while now about their mum.
                  She has Dementia and has rapidly gone down hill and can no longer live in her own home even with carers coming in. They have decided to rent the house out and put the money towards her care along with her state and a couple private pensions plus Attendance Allowance it's not far short of the costs.
                  I am just posting this as a side as there are options other then sell the home if you cover every angle.
                  I know you may not have an option at all, just the more options you have to think about the better and the Social Workers etc give nothing away imo and are only interested in making sure care if it can be paid for will.

ps It is I who have all the donkey work to do regarding this as my OH and his bros fav saying is 'lets wait and see what happens' my reply 'Nothing will happen unless you make sure it does' may be a male thing lol

Comment

Thanks, everyone. That's all helpful advice, we'll be in touch with the people you recommended. Dementia is an absolute nightmare for all involved, the social services have been pretty awful and unhelpful but we'll get there in the end! Have a good weekend,
                    Crisps

Comment

Originally posted by ilikecrisps View Post

Thanks.
                      Crisps

- - - Updated - - -

Oops
                      Crisps
                      In my view, a Power of Attorney (POA) means acting for the incapacitated minded person (including dementia) as though the POA were said person. It is essentially like a relationship of trust where the POA acts in the bests interest of the incapacitated other, which includes all the things the affected person would normally do, including but not limited to managing their financial affairs. The POA selling his home to benefit the person affected by the dementia, ie to pay for care home costs is clearly to do with managing 'their financial affairs' and setting up a funeral plan to manage his passing and his estate (at this death) is also no exception.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X