• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP Have they broken the data protection act?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP Have they broken the data protection act?

So to cut a long story short I walked out of a store with a couple of items, I know it was wrong and at the time I was depressed at being made redundant. Anyway i was caught by a store detective or failed police officer as I like to think of them. I was taken to a back room were I handed the two items over, no damage and they were put back out for sale. The value was a mere £4.78 I was in the room with security for maybe 10 minutes as they copied my driving licence information and then informed me I would receive a fine from RLP. A few days later said letter showed up, I had looked on the Internet about the company and decided to ignore the first letter. It stated I had 21 days to pay a whopping £147.50 However 10 days later I received a second letter dated 22 days after my first one (slightly strange) but within that letter RLP stated that if they didn't receive payment they would contact my parent or guardian. I am 27 years old and live in a house share. I know they must know my age as it's on the details the security said would be passed on. I naturally ignored this letter too. But then they sent out a letter addressed to the parent or guardian of. This was slightly awkward what with living in a house share. How can it be legal for rlp to try this tactic? Is it legal? Should I just ignore it too or engage with them? Thank you in advance for any replies.
    Tags: None

Re: RLP Have they broken the data protection act?

Hi and welcome.

No, it isn't correct.
    However, as they don't know your parents address (I assume?) I would continue to ignore, but retain all such mail for possible future use.
    Slight awkwardness Vs RLP harassment? I know which I would prefer!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X