• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car warranty

Hi,

Can anyone help?

Iv recently purchased a Vauxhall Astra from stone acre motor group.

Iv have had the car for 5 months and done 2000 miles. The car has 10000 miles in total. 59 plate.

The clutch and flywheel has gone and stone acre have told me it has burnt out due to misuse.

I only drive 10 miles to work and back 5 times a week and occasionally drive to a relatives 50 miles away.

The car came with a 1 year warranty and I presumed it would be covered although stone acre have said this is not covered under the warranty.

They are charging me over £1000 for them to fix the car. New fly wheel, new clutch and bolts + 1 litre of engine oil.

Seems extortionate although I know very little about cars.

What can I do? Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Car warranty

I would not expect a clutch & dual mass fly wheel to burn out at such low mileage.

Price is about right.

Suggest you write to Vauxhall Customer Services, as this seems to be a known problem (from a quick internet search!)

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Iv had a look on the internet although i can't find anything relevant.

Do you think i can argue my case because of the low mileage and the sales of goods act?

I assumed the price would be there or there about from a dealer although i can't afford this right now and I feel as though i have done nothing wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comment

Your consumer protection is now enshrined in the Consumer Rights Act 2015

If the defect is found after 30 days, but within 6 months it is assumed the defect was there at the time of delivery.
        It is for the seller to prove it wasn't.
        You are entitled to request a repair, replacement or refund
        Stoneacre are going to stand by their claim of misuse, but such an allegation is not proof.
        If it was to go to court it would be a case of who sounds most plausible.
        How long have you been driving/ have you ever burnt out a clutch previously?
        Search for reports of others having similar problems (eg: http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...000-miles-help!)

Comment

Thanks for the advice,

So it is up to Stoneacre to prove the defect was not their at the time of purchase as it is within six months of the sale date.

I have never had any clutch problems in the past all be it i have been driving only 3 years.

I am going to ring vauxhall to see if they can help although im not overly confident that they will.

If they dont i presume i will have to send a letter to the MD of stoneacre york and take this further

Any further advice? As i dont want to say the wrong thing and ruin my chances of obtaining a refund.

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

They are saying the clutch and fly wheel has burnt out due to misuse/abuse. I never leave my foot on the clutch and use a handbrake on hills.

I have attached some pictures if there are any mechanics who can help me?

The clutch pictures are below:

You have to click on the link to view the picture,

Can this be due to a previous owner misusing the clutch or is it solely down to my driving (THIS IS WHAT STONE ACRE ARE SAYING)

What can I do? Can anyone help? Can i take them to court to recover the costs?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Coreywhitton View Post
              Hi,

and use a handbrake on hills.
              Could you please explain what this means.
              The handbrake is for parking, or perhaps for use if the main braking system fails.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                Could you please explain what this means.
                The handbrake is for parking, or perhaps for use if the main braking system fails.
                You should use a handbrake when stationary for long periods of time, or where excessive pressure would be required for a footbrake. Using a handbrake on a hill is recommended.

Comment

Yes, I know that one should, if stationary for a period in excess of say 5 seconds apply the handbrake.
                  It would also be used in performing a hill start.
                  As well as when parked.
                  Or if main braking system fails.

I just wonder what OP meant by "use a handbrake on hills"
                  I note you reckon it is recommended (instead of a brick to prevent the car rolling downhill?)

Comment

as the dealer suggested the damage could be from engaging the clutch on hills, dipping the clutch etc

Comment

I would imagine "hill starts" is what was meant.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X