• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ownership time limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ownership time limit

Hi,
    I was looking at the documents of our house & found something something strange – hopefoly someone can clarify it.
    We bought freehold house 10 years ago. It’s been a council house sold to the tenants in the 80s. In the conveyance between the council and the tenants it says:

"The Purchaser hereby declares that until the expiration of twenty-one years from the death of the survivor of the Purchaser the trustees for the time being of this deed shall subject as hereinafter mentioned have power to sell mortgage charge lease or otherwise dispose of all or of part of the premises with all the powers in that behalf of an absolute owner.
    ……
    The expression "the Purchaser" includes the persons deriving title under him"

Does anybody know if that places any time limits on our ownership?
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Ownership time limit

BUMP Someone must be able to help this is a strange one

Comment

My understanding of it relates to administration of the estate upon death. Where the survivor of the purchaser dies, e.g if the husband dies and property passes to the wife and then the wife dies, the trustees of the property have the same powers as the purchaser of the property as outlined above.

This could be there for a number of reasons such as paying taxes or debts etc.

I don't think it has a time limit on yourself as the purchaser. Sounds a bit dated but depends on the context, you couple apply to the land tribunal to have it removed and the council might object to. There would of course be expenses involved
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by sgs View Post
        Hi,
        I was looking at the documents of our house & found something something strange – hopefoly someone can clarify it.
        We bought freehold house 10 years ago. It’s been a council house sold to the tenants in the 80s. In the conveyance between the council and the tenants it says:

"The Purchaser hereby declares that until the expiration of twenty-one years from the death of the survivor of the Purchaser the trustees for the time being of this deed shall subject as hereinafter mentioned have power to sell mortgage charge lease or otherwise dispose of all or of part of the premises with all the powers in that behalf of an absolute owner.
        ……
        The expression "the Purchaser" includes the persons deriving title under him"

Does anybody know if that places any time limits on our ownership?
        Thanks
        The council was the trustee (ie owner) of the property and was saying within 21 years of no one has taking possession of the tenanted property, the council can sell, mortgage, charge, lease the property. However, this covenant (agreement) no longer applies as it was based on a covenant from a prior lease whereas the transfer in the property now entails a freehold purchase. I do not think you need to do anything about it at all now or in the future. It's just like some properties may have had an ancient covenant to do with the 2nd world war but obviously not longer binding now on a new owner of the property.

Comment

Thank you for the replies.
          Those interpretations would not cause us any problems.
          My worry was that after we bought the property we would be the Purchaser (as the persons deriving title under the original purchaser) and there'd be a 21yrs limit on our children's ownership after we pass away.
          Something like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_against_perpetuities
          Hopefully that's not the case + it is far into the future

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X