• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Couple in bank fight to stay put, for now (HBOS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple in bank fight to stay put, for now (HBOS)

Cambridge News > Business > Business > Couple in bank fight to stay put, for now
    Print page

Couple in bank fight to stay put, for now

A COUPLE caught up in a scam set up by a "rogue" banker have been saved from eviction from their home - for six months - and look set to be £65,000 better off.

Paul and Nikki Turner, as reported in the News on Friday, faced eviction this week when they returned to Cambridge County Court for a further hearing relating to attempts by their bank, HBOS, to get them evicted from their home at Linton.

The couple, who have a music promotion business, Zenith, fought off eviction six months ago when Judge Pelly told the bank to sort things out, but the couple say HBOS ignored this and six months later made another attempt to get them out, again failing.

The Turners say they do not owe the bank anything because they claim HBOS misappropriated funds protected under a Small Firms Loan Guarantee issued by the Government. The Turners claim HBOS used these funds to clear their overdraft, which is against the rules of the scheme.

This led to a domino-effect of financial difficulties for the couple, who fell into the hands of a rogue banker who has subsequently been dismissed, but whose modus operandi was to insist on customers such as the Turners using the services of an expensive consultancy if they wanted more cash.

The consultancy has been shown to be run by fraudsters and to have cost the bank hundreds of millions of pounds.

Judge Pelly said the Turners could not now be expected to pay their mortgage because the bank had put them out of business, not least for wrongfully freezing the couple's account, which prevented them from trading.

The house repossession connection is because the Turners' mortgage is with Birmingham Midshires, part of Halifax, which is the "H" in HBOS.

Judge Pelly this week ordered HBOS to unfreeze the Turners' business account and refund the £65,000 in fees they had to pay to the consultancy.

Nikki Turner said: "It is an interesting precedent, if you cannot earn your living because of the actions of a bank, then you cannot reasonably be expected to pay your mortgage.

"Sadly, the lower court does not make precedent, but hopefully other judges faced with evicting people from their homes will use the same ethical logic."

HBOS says it has not breached any rules, but, like any other bank, never comments on specific individuals, companies or consultancies, although the spokesman did confirm that a colleague had left the bank some months ago and that a consultancy that behaved as alleged would not be used in future.

"We strongly believe we have acted throughout in a fair and responsible way," the spokesman said.

What happens next is in the hands of HBOS.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 1st May 2008, 11:37:AM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Couple in bank fight to stay put, for now (HBOS)

are you reading this saffy?

Comment

Blimey, I'm reading and re reading and its taking a while to sink in to be honest, I think I need to go away and get a cuppa and come back and re read again, but well done to the Turners for carrying on the fight and not just giving up.
      Blimey, blimey

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        part of Halifax, which is the "H" in HBOS.
        And I always thought it stood for 'Howard' the guy off the ads

Comment

BBC NEWS | Business | How HBOS 'killed our businesses'

I followed this story in the early days. Here is the update from the BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
            BBC NEWS | Business | How HBOS 'killed our businesses'

I followed this story in the early days. Here is the update from the BBC.
            Hi Nattie,

Did you catch the Debate in Westminster (Tues 2 June) on this? Or the 'File On Four' Radio programme (26 may )?

The good thing about these two events is that many more people have come out of the woodwork with even more evidence.

Still up for the coffee in Cambridge some time?
            best
            spandavia

Comment

Yep and I'm working as well, so it will have to be a weekend, however next weekend I am in Birmingham getting sozzled on the Beagles meet.

Comment

.......... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38772660

File on Four will have a special report about the case on BBC Radio Four on Tuesday 31 January at 8pm.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  .......... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38772660

File on Four will have a special report about the case on BBC Radio Four on Tuesday 31 January at 8pm.
                  I knew when I read the bbc article that I'd read about it before

Lloyds Group still denying liability btw
                  "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                  (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X